Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SO MUCH metal in the oil at 1100!!!

Holy cow...we changed the oil last night right around 11-1200 miles, and I could not believe the amount of visible metal in the oil. We drained it into one of those pan-type storage containers, and after all of the oil drained inside you could still see where little currents of metal particles has been flowing into the container. It's a shocking and creepy amount of metal. Glad that oil is out of there, and wish I had done it sooner!!! I will try and get a pic when I go home. I saved a sample on the side to send to Blackstone Labs for analysis, but I'm not sure it's worth bothering with it's so bad...

You should have changed your oil before 100 miles, and then at...see Pelotonracer2's break in 101 sticky on this forum....every owner should read it....he built, broke down and tortured engines for a living to gather data...and he offered it up willingly on that thread ....the kind of info the rest of us dummies or dummys...how do you say multiple dummy...whateveeeer!...anyway read it if you haven't before you blow your... not motor, engine up!..and btw motors are electric...what's up RAAM!!!

iso100

1000 Post Club
I tried to get my oil changed at the dealer at 1000 miles and they refused. I'm at 2200 right now and my car is there for transmission issues. Should I have them also change the oil?

Changing the engine oil and tranny oil is better when done early the first time...I am about to get my second oil change and first tranny oil change....I did my first oil change at 400 miles....so I am either stupid or a hypocrite because I'm at 4000 miles now...or maybe a sprinkling of both...but I am trying to be a better human to my car...pray for me

Changed mine at 1800, and will now wait until 7500 or so. Can't find anything on when to change tranny oil, I doubt we need to so early on.

If I was smarter, tranny oil would have been changed at 100 miles, but now at 4000, it get's changed tomorrow, and that is too late...but considering my Kia Spectra has 86,000 miles with no tranny change, I think I am ahead of the curve...but yeah, change it

iso100

1000 Post Club
OK. I'll have the dealer do it now while they have it... Likely on my dime.

OP
J
Thread Starter #12
"Motor: a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts."
So yeah, pretty silly to correct someone on that...

Also, RDGolfer, your post is pretty alarmist. "OMG!!!!11!1! You shoulda done XXXXX!!!!!" type posts are not really helpful in hindsight.

Read the thread before I blow my engine up? Really? I have read the thread. I'm not afraid of catastrophic engine failure because I didn't read the thread earlier...Pretty sure I'm doing better for my car than WELL over 99% of people in the US (whos, shockingly enough, engines ALSO don't blow up).

I was just trying to motivate our fellow FiSTers to get an early start.

"Motor: a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts."
So yeah, pretty silly to correct someone on that...

Also, RDGolfer, your post is pretty alarmist. "OMG!!!!11!1! You shoulda done XXXXX!!!!!" type posts are not really helpful in hindsight.

Read the thread before I blow my engine up? Really? I have read the thread. I'm not afraid of catastrophic engine failure because I didn't read the thread earlier...Pretty sure I'm doing better for my car than WELL over 99% of people in the US (whos, shockingly enough, engines ALSO don't blow up).

I was just trying to motivate our fellow FiSTers to get an early start.
Quoted for truth.

But the truth is... 99.9 % of the engines will live a long a healthy life if you just follow the Ford maintenance schedule. But, I get it... I do excessive things to get that extra .1% when it is valuable to me and horsepower is valuable!

koozy

3000 Post Club
But the truth is... 99.9 % of the engines will live a long a healthy life if you just follow the Ford maintenance schedule. But, I get it... I do excessive things to get that extra .1% when it is valuable to me and horsepower is valuable!
Agreed and I'm still waiting to hit 5k to send in my sample for some results on the factory fill. I'm going excessive to the other end than most who change out early. Funny thing is I also feel I'm getting that extra .1% that is valuable to me. You only get one chance at break-in. At 3,200 currently.

I have over 2200 miles since getting the car. Should I be worried? I just feel like I should. I might take my car to the dealer this weekend. You ford mechanics always love my cars for some reason. They treat it that way too. My last fiesta was taken care of very well.

me32

1000 Post Club
There is no reason to change your oil at 100 miles. I ran mine till 6500miles before the 1st oil change and it was fine. You want the engine to break in on the factory fill. Its not like the old days where changing you oil at 500miles was needed.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I'm not worried about the excess metal in the factory fill oil, in fact I welcome whatever can get by the filter. Using itself to the wear in itself and accelerate the break in and seating of the ring lands and bearings. This isn't the first new motor I've broken in.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
There is no reason to change your oil at 100 miles. I ran mine till 6500miles before the 1st oil change and it was fine. You want the engine to break in on the factory fill. Its not like the old days where changing you oil at 500miles was needed.
There's no reason to 'want to break-in on the factory fill'.

I'm not worried about the excess metal in the factory fill oil, in fact I welcome whatever can get by the filter. Using itself to the wear in itself and accelerate the break in and seating of the ring lands and bearings. This isn't the first new motor I've broken in.
No contaminants large enough to affect rings are going to get past the filter and most that would/could be detrimental to the bearings are just going to sink to the bottom.

Break-in is a very small percentage of an engines lifespan, and it's highly debated in all car forums. From those that believe it should be a gentle break-in to those that (like me) believe in a hard break-in, there is very little actual 'scientific' evidence to support or debunk either direction because the only actual comparison between two engines would have to occur with exactly the same type of driving/maintenance over the lifespan of the motors. Realistically speaking, that is never going to happen.

Tl;dr-Break in your engine in whatever manner makes you most comfortable. Maintain your vehicle properly afterwards and you'll most likely be fine.

me32

1000 Post Club
There's no reason to 'want to break-in

n the factory fill'.

No contaminants large enough to affect rings are going to get past the filter and most that would/could be detrimental to the bearings are just going to sink to the bottom.

Break-in is a very small percentage of an engines lifespan, and it's highly debated in all car forums. From those that believe it should be a gentle break-in to those that (like me) believe in a hard break-in, there is very little actual 'scientific' evidence to support or debunk either direction because the only actual comparison between two engines would have to occur with exactly the same type of driving/maintenance over the lifespan of the motors. Realistically speaking, that is never going to happen.

Tl;dr-Break in your engine in whatever manner makes you most comfortable. Maintain your vehicle properly afterwards and you'll most likely be fine.
Not sure if the st use it but ford has been using motorcaft XL-17 in factory fill oil for break in. Do a google search and you will see.