Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

[SOLVED] Embarrassing fluid question...

ORANGEST

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
I think this is for the brakes and/or the transmission... 1. What is this?
...and more importantly...
2. What's in here? Does what's in here look like it came from factory?
3. Is the level shown here crazy low and needs to be filled?
4. Does this need to be bled\drained and refilled, or can it be topped off?
5. What would you recommend I put in here?

IMG_20230405_185903511_2.jpg
IMG_20230405_185909985_HDR_2.jpg

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Brake fluid. There's actually a pretty detailed description on the cap, at least on my '17. It's a little low but doesn't look too bad (it will darken as it absorbs water vapor). If you plan to take your car to track or autocross, definitely consider an upgrade. Otherwise have it tested (there's a little sensor that can test it), and top off or replace depending on the results.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think this is for the brakes and/or the transmission... 1. What is this?
...and more importantly...
2. What's in here? Does what's in here look like it came from factory?
3. Is the level shown here crazy low and needs to be filled?
4. Does this need to be bled\drained and refilled, or can it be topped off?
5. What would you recommend I put in here?

View attachment 54959
View attachment 54960
1. You are correct, it’s brake fluid and the clutch hydraulic system uses it as well.
2. It looks like brake fluid to me, dot 4 brake fluid is what belongs in there.
3. It might be a little low. There is a min marker on the side somewhere, it’s a pain to see.
4. It can definitely be topped off. However I high recommend that you bleed/flush it depending on your mileage. Here’s the thread from when I did it https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/clutch-bleeding-procedure.29184/ According to my research, you should flush in new fluid every 2 years, although doing it more often definitely won’t hurt anything.
5. Dot 4 brake fluid

You can top it off, buuuuut it doesn't need to be (unless you have a leak which you'd get fixed anyway)

As the friction material on your brake pads diminishes over many miles, the brake fluid level will decrease in tandem, and that's completely normal.

it's a sealed system, so when you get new pads and rotors, then the fluid level will go back to where it started out since the technician will need to press the caliper pistons back into the caliper itself during a brake job.

a good mechanic will add new fluid to the reservoir in the process of bleeding out the old fluid and air from each caliper.

OP
ORANGEST

ORANGEST

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Thread Starter #6
You can top it off, buuuuut it doesn't need to be (unless you have a leak which you'd get fixed anyway)

As the friction material on your brake pads diminishes over many miles, the brake fluid level will decrease in tandem, and that's completely normal.

it's a sealed system, so when you get new pads and rotors, then the fluid level will go back to where it started out since the technician will need to press the caliper pistons back into the caliper itself during a brake job.

a good mechanic will add new fluid to the reservoir in the process of bleeding out the old fluid and air from each caliper.
I got new pads on all four wheels, and new rotors in the rear, so I guess it's time for me to bleed this. I'm at 61,500 miles and who knows what was or wasn't done before 48k miles (other than listening to the Final Fantasy soundtrack which the previous owner left in the CD player for me)... I'll be purchasing the Motive brake system power bleeder and brake fluid catch bottle kit and some DOT 4 for this. Thanks!