Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Solved a noise issue - what a relief!

You're going to chuckle when I tell you guys what has been making a clunking noise for the past three months. At first, I assumed it was a loose chassis component, or a bad bushing (thank goodness it wasn't).

I was determined to finally figure it out by lightly tapping everything in the engine bay, but it wasn't until I was about to give up when I started tapping one of the headlight assemblies.

This whole time, the screws were loose and the headlight assembly had been shifting around making all of that noise.

Needless to say, I'm super relieved that this was the only problem, and it was nothing expensive/time-consuming.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Noises are frustrating, and it can also be very difficult to tell where they're coming from. The sound bounces around, and you'll think it's coming from one place, but it's actually coming from someplace different.
I had a really annoying rattling sound while I was driving that I became convinced was in my passenger side Recaro seat. I had even looked into what it would involve to take the seat apart and see what was vibrating inside it, but was concerned that it would never go back together properly and wouldn't work right after that.
As an afterthought I stopped by a body shop that had replaced my passenger side mirror at some point, just to make sure that it wasn't something in the mirror or in the inside door panel which they had had to remove to get to the mirror assembly.The guy got in the backseat to take a ride with me in case the vibration was in the front seat. We drove off and the noise started, and he reached towards the front seat and did something and the noise stopped.He held out his hand to me, and he had my garage door opener in it which he had pulled off the visor. It had shifted position, and the little metal clip on it was making the rattling sound.I was very grateful to him, but also a little embarrassed that I had gotten close to having my seat taken apart.
I'm glad that you found the source of your noise, and that it was also something simple and easily fixable.

Last edited: