Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sound Impressions: Mountune Catback VS Cobb Vs Borla

Has anyone heard these firsthand? Which one is the most 'unique'? Which one changes the sound of the ST the most?

Looking for a deep tone with minimal drone, and not overbearing during long highway drives.

Coming from a fairly loud, snarling, popping Subaru, can the ST make these noises without a large(r) diameter exhaust?

I tried both the Cobb and Mountune. The Cobb is more raspy, burbles, and will even after fire on a 4K rpm downshift. The Mountune is resonated so it has a deeper tone, no rasp, but still burbles. Hope that helps.

Bluedrank

I'd like to throw the MAP catback into the mix. I was on the fence about that one or maybe the cobb.

OP
FreshST
Thread Starter #4
I tried both the Cobb and Mountune. The Cobb is more raspy, burbles, and will even after fire on a 4K rpm downshift. The Mountune is resonated so it has a deeper tone, no rasp, but still burbles. Hope that helps.
Thanks [MENTION=3495]NJBooST[/MENTION]

Head says Mountune, but heart says FLAMES.

Any notable differences in sound from the interior? Did one have more drone than the other?

Has anyone heard these firsthand? Which one is the most 'unique'? Which one changes the sound of the ST the most?

Looking for a deep tone with minimal drone, and not overbearing during long highway drives.

Coming from a fairly loud, snarling, popping Subaru, can the ST make these noises without a large(r) diameter exhaust?
Check out this thread, good info: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-7007.html

Chuckable

Any notable differences in sound from the interior? Did one have more drone than the other?
I can't speak to the Cobb, but I have the Mountune downpipe and cat-back, and I get a bit of resonance around 2500-3000 rpm, but it's slight. My wife is fairly sensitive to these things, and she didn't even notice. Hope that helps!

Thanks [MENTION=3495]NJBooST[/MENTION]

Head says Mountune, but heart says FLAMES.

Both are quiet in the cabin except when cruising between 75-80mph. Seems like almost every system out there gets loud in the cabin at 3k rpm.

OP
FreshST
Thread Starter #8
OP
FreshST
Thread Starter #9
I can't speak to the Cobb, but I have the Mountune downpipe and cat-back, and I get a bit of resonance around 2500-3000 rpm, but it's slight. My wife is fairly sensitive to these things, and she didn't even notice. Hope that helps!
[MENTION=1533]Chuckable[/MENTION], the wife is a big part of my decision as well. She was not very fond of the Subaru, so promised I would tone it down a bit this time lol

What is the mountune like on downshift decelerations? at least some crackle? I need that every once in a while...

OP
FreshST
Thread Starter #10
Both are quiet in the cabin except when cruising between 75-80mph. Seems like almost every system out there gets loud in the cabin at 3k rpm.
[MENTION=3495]NJBooST[/MENTION], thanks. I guess you are right on that, the only car I never experienced at least a little drown with was my 02 EP3 Civic Si. (Love me some hatchbacks!)

Chuckable

[MENTION=1533]Chuckable[/MENTION], the wife is a big part of my decision as well. She was not very fond of the Subaru, so promised I would tone it down a bit this time lol

What is the mountune like on downshift decelerations? at least some crackle? I need that every once in a while...
Yes, the wife's opinion is very important! With the Mountune downpipe being catted there ins't a whole lot of crackle going on, and when it's there it's pretty slight.

I've got the Mountune. Mine mostly pops when shifting through to 3rd. Sometimes on downshifts. It's a very deep tone which I love, so it's hard to hear in the cab sometimes. Outside the car you can definitely hear it though. I was very surprised at the deepness of the tone. It's slightly loud when you get on it and mellows out when you're cruising. They did an amazing job. When I'm doing 80 on the highway, I'm not bothered by it. My sti had a greddy, without the silencer, holy shit my gf and I had to yell over that thing. I'd say go Mountune but I'm biased. Unless you want something a bit more obnoxious.

OP
FreshST
Thread Starter #13
Yes, the wife's opinion is very important! With the Mountune downpipe being catted there ins't a whole lot of crackle going on, and when it's there it's pretty slight.
Thanks again [MENTION=1533]Chuckable[/MENTION]. Appreciate the insight.

OP
FreshST
Thread Starter #14
I've got the Mountune. Mine mostly pops when shifting through to 3rd. Sometimes on downshifts. It's a very deep tone which I love, so it's hard to hear in the cab sometimes. Outside the car you can definitely hear it though. I was very surprised at the deepness of the tone. It's slightly loud when you get on it and mellows out when you're cruising. They did an amazing job. When I'm doing 80 on the highway, I'm not bothered by it. My sti had a greddy, without the silencer, holy shit my gf and I had to yell over that thing. I'd say go Mountune but I'm biased. Unless you want something a bit more obnoxious.
This sounds livable enough for the wife but with just enough charisma to keep me entertained. Would love to go full-on obnoxious, trust me, but looking to go a different route with this car than I have before.

...and, mountune seems to have a pretty nice sale going on right now.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
here is a vid for my mountune CBE. Stock downpipe, full intake hosery change (hot and cold), MP215 tune.

Very cheap cell phone proped up on my snow blower with my gloves. As other stated, nice, low (video does not capture the true base), and smooth on highway. I can make it nicely pop when I down shift .

[video=youtube;YY4Ak5Kqz1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY4Ak5Kqz1Y[/video]