Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Squeaking and clunking over bumps

xxiaze

I have MeisterR coilovers and have a constant squeak and clunk over bumps and lumps etc. even over steady road driving it’s has a squeak to it. I disassembled the front end and removed the struts to check them out and retighten everything. Nothing seemed out of order. While I was in there I lubricated all the rubber with silicone spray. I did a car bounce test and the dampers seem to be fine. I checked the end links and they seem fine too. It’s worst on the drivers side but I believe there is SOME noise coming from passenger side as well. Could these noises be coming from my motor mount and trans mount? I haven’t checked those out. Any suggestions?

I have the EXACT same problem with my Meister R!!
I have been on the phone a number of times with Jared, the owner of the company. He has been super nice and helpful, but I still have this issue. Mine is only present at very low speeds, 1st and 2nd gear only...no noise at all once I get up to speed. He said that if the dampers were bad, you would hear noise at all speeds. I have checked all other suspension components and installed the powerflex motor mount inserts so it's prolly not your mounts. (PS-I HIGHLY recommend doing the inserts on both sides plus RMM of course!!) I also put the stock suspension back in on the driver side and the noise went away, so I am 98% sure it has to do with the coilovers. He did suggest that I could take both coilovers off the car and swap the damper from the driver side to the passenger side to see if the noise moves, but that is a lot of work!! I also took the drivers side out, lubed, retightened top nut (which is the first thing you should double check), checked all bolts, retaining rings, etc but this did not help. For now, I am just living with it as for me it is not bad at all, but I can def hear and know exactly what you are talking about. I will prolly just buy a whole new driver side coilover in the near future...I'll let you know when I do and if this takes care of the problem. How bad is yours? Make sure to check the top nut on the coilover as Jared said that is usually the culprit. There are some vids on youtube that explain this. Like I said, mine is pretty quiet and I can only hear it at very low parking lot speeds...but kind of annoying for sure!

I am also going to see if they will sell me just the top mount or a replacement bearing as I suspect the issue is with the pillow mount bearing in the top mount. I'll let you know what he says!
Customer service has been outstanding for me!

I also want to say that the coilovers transformed the car and are 100% worth it!
This should really be one of the first mods anyone should do!
These coilovers are great and VERY adjustable! I couldn't stand the stock suspension and these coilovers are a huge step up at a great price...for anyone who is thinking about upgrading...

Last edited:
OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #4
I have the EXACT same problem with my Meister R!!
I have been on the phone a number of times with Jared, the owner of the company. He has been super nice and helpful, but I still have this issue. Mine is only present at very low speeds, 1st and 2nd gear only...no noise at all once I get up to speed. He said that if the dampers were bad, you would hear noise at all speeds. I have checked all other suspension components and installed the powerflex motor mount inserts so it's prolly not your mounts. (PS-I HIGHLY recommend doing the inserts on both sides plus RMM of course!!) I also put the stock suspension back in on the driver side and the noise went away, so I am 98% sure it has to do with the coilovers. He did suggest that I could take both coilovers off the car and swap the damper from the driver side to the passenger side to see if the noise moves, but that is a lot of work!! I also took the drivers side out, lubed, retightened top nut (which is the first thing you should double check), checked all bolts, retaining rings, etc but this did not help. For now, I am just living with it as for me it is not bad at all, but I can def hear and know exactly what you are talking about. I will prolly just buy a whole new driver side coilover in the near future...I'll let you know when I do and if this takes care of the problem. How bad is yours? Make sure to check the top nut on the coilover as Jared said that is usually the culprit. There are some vids on youtube that explain this. Like I said, mine is pretty quiet and I can only hear it at very low parking lot speeds...but kind of annoying for sure!
Very good note, yeah I think it’s the top pillow. Sounds like the strut is smacking the body over hard bumps... it’s pretty bad. The squeaking has gotten worse. I do, however, believe there are like around 60-80k miles on the suspension as I bought it with them on the car vehicle now 105k mi. I’ll likely just buy some BC extreme lows. Was hoping it was the engine/trans mount as those aren’t updated and want to do that anyway. I checked all the bits and bolts... that’s not the culprit. They’ve seen better days I think.

Give Jared a call and see how much to rebuild...prolly a lot cheaper than a whole new set and I think Meister R quality is better than BC...
I am really impressed overall with these coilovers

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #7
I basically need a new set front and rear, rust has gotten the better of some of the parts. Need total overhaul. I was thinking BC because I’ll be widebody soon and need to slam her. I do love the MeisterR though. They’ve been fantastic up until this point. I don’t blame the quality, I blame mileage and harsh environment.