Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stiff shifter

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
In all the gears it just feels like getting the shifter into gear has been taking more effort than I recall when I bought the car.

I had a leaking axle seal that was replaced, and immediately after I noticed much smoother shifts, but I've verified several months later that it is not leaking.

My issue is that going into any gear there's a high threshold of resistance that needs to be overcome and then the shifter will plop right into gear. However, if I give it low to moderate effort but just wait a bit longer that resistance just gives way.

It doesn't feel like it's any specific gear, and I don't notice a difference from cold start to warmed up.

I don't think I'd normally care so much but I think my decade of electrical work has started to wear on my hands and it's just annoying that every shift feels uncomfortable.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Have you changed the transmission fluid? Super simple on the FiST as long as you have a long funnel (they're < $5 at most auto stores). Ravenol or Red Line MT-LV are good options

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Check you shifter cable, too.
Not sure what to check, I'll do a search. Does changing the gear oil make a noticeable difference? I'm not grinding going into gear.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not sure what to check, I'll do a search. Does changing the gear oil make a noticeable difference? I'm not grinding going into gear.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
It felt smoother, but it wasn't shifting badly in the first place. I doubt the fluid is the problem, but it's worth a shot.
Most people put more fluid in than stock, like the full 2 liters.

This stuff is good. https://www.ravenolamerica.com/transmission-fluid/75w-80-manual-transmission-fluid-ravenol-mtf-2/