Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock clutch limits?

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] and anyone else running higher then bolt on power numbers. Wondering if this something I should budget in.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I'm not as high as Sourskittle but with my E30 numbers, it seems to be grabbing fine. I do get a little chatter now and again at engagement but other than that, all is fine. It is on my list for future upgrades/ maintenance though.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
It seems to not of been found yet and we need to realize different uses, abuses, etc play a big roll. I was not satisfied with the offerings when I installed my LSD so contacted different manf and none were doing anything just yet. I decided on a mid chrome molly flywheel and moderate clutch but was not able to source it so using stock for now. I might end up having to swap before long once the EFR is up and running, Rodmoe already has his new setup installed so we will be able to see stock versus it at least.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
It seems to not of been found yet and we need to realize different uses, abuses, etc play a big roll. I was not satisfied with the offerings when I installed my LSD so contacted different manf and none were doing anything just yet. I decided on a mid chrome molly flywheel and moderate clutch but was not able to source it so using stock for now. I might end up having to swap before long once the EFR is up and running, Rodmoe already has his new setup installed so we will be able to see stock versus it at least.
Exactly what I'm waiting on to see how his setup will compare vs the stocker. Both holding power and drivability.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Good idea:)

Since my car will be hauling 200lbs of dogs plus groceries, site seeing gear, my wife and myself I did not want to light a flywheel or to grabby a clutch, my lady is a great driver but not used to tweaked cars and will use it as well so I need to be somewhere in the middle of civility and handle the power when needed on a road race course.

I have had 8lb clutch and flywheel setups, winch or push onto the trailer only and a good idea to have a few people pushing the car in the pits, really sucks.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I figure with the bigger turbo setups that the clutch life will be extended. The tq wont come on super low and instant.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
According to Pumaspeed the OE clutch is made for Ford by AP Racing.
Out of interest I have been looking at OE clutch part numbers at TASCA Parts Center, see below.

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/fies...h-and-flywheel-scat/?part_name=pressure-plate

Product Description

CLUTCH ASY for your 2014 Ford Fiesta ST with a 1.6L L4 - Gas. We also sell CLUTCH and CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL. This is a genuine OEM Ford part #BV6Z-7B546-F and carries a factory warranty. We offer the best online prices with fast shipping with any order placed with us.

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/focu...-cat/clutch-and-flywheel-scat/?part_name=disc

Product Description

CLUTCH ASY for your 2014 Ford Focus ST with a 2.0L L4 - Gas. We also sell CLUTCH and CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL. This is a genuine OEM Ford part #BV6Z-7B546-F and carries a factory warranty. We offer the best online prices with fast shipping with any order placed with us.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Interesting info:)

As for bottles, the only ones I have ever used or plan to use have nipples for babies or beer or whiskey for me:):):)

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
According to Pumaspeed the OE clutch is made for Ford by AP Racing.
Out of interest I have been looking at OE clutch part numbers at TASCA Parts Center, see below.

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/fies...h-and-flywheel-scat/?part_name=pressure-plate

Product Description

CLUTCH ASY for your 2014 Ford Fiesta ST with a 1.6L L4 - Gas. We also sell CLUTCH and CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL. This is a genuine OEM Ford part #BV6Z-7B546-F and carries a factory warranty. We offer the best online prices with fast shipping with any order placed with us.

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/focu...-cat/clutch-and-flywheel-scat/?part_name=disc

Product Description

CLUTCH ASY for your 2014 Ford Focus ST with a 2.0L L4 - Gas. We also sell CLUTCH and CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL. This is a genuine OEM Ford part #BV6Z-7B546-F and carries a factory warranty. We offer the best online prices with fast shipping with any order placed with us.
Wow clutch sharing.... Thanks for the info.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I asked the shop manager that takes care of the Octane Academy cars about issues they see, heating the main thing with the FoST, nothing with the FiST, they run stock everything but tires and had never replaced a clutch.

Though just stock power the cars see a lot of abuse so the stock clutch has to be pretty dang good.

If AP makes them, no wonder why:)

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Well the first drive with the new Spec set up Stage 3 (since stage 3+ uses a solid clutch disk and I wasn't ready for that) Seems the Release is Very stock like and grabs so much like stock I would not have known the difference if not for me knowing the installer.. Plus it shaves off weight going with the light weight flywheel vs the stock weight of 35.5 lbs vs 22.5 of the Spec unit (measured on my bathroom scale) And I am hearing any worry about light flywheels dropping revs can be tuned around via the ECU. (I imagine along the lines of rev hang or FFS but that is just my guess) so that is 10 lbs or more off the crank and the nose of the car. Now mind you I have not driven the car over 3k rpm do to the new turbo and base tune but maybe as it gets broken in (Spec says 500 miles before hard use) My Tuner Guy will give me feedback as the car is now in the MotorCity getting dialed in..

Attachments

Well the first drive with the new Spec set up Stage 3 (since stage 3+ uses a solid clutch disk and I wasn't ready for that) Seems the Release is Very stock like and grabs so much like stock I would not have known the difference if not for me knowing the installer.. \
I am curious how the lows speed driving is with it. Like trying to putter around a parking lot does it make it a lot more jerky with the lighter assembly? This is my main concern with changing the flywheel. Last time I switched to an 8lb flywheel I had to feather the clutch at low speeds or it felt like I was riding a jet ski.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
This is a 15lb flywheel so it is not that extreme and the few times I went around my neighborhood never over 3 gear and rpm limited to 3k I have no issue with drivability that I saw.. I know what you mean I has a 3 puck set up in my RSX and that thing you had to slide the clutch just to get moving .. this car has lots more Tq down low too though so it pulls better than that car did..

meFiSTo

Interesting info:)

As for bottles, the only ones I have ever used or plan to use have nipples for babies or beer or whiskey for me:):):)
Well, what about a fire extinguisher? Don't we call those "fire bottles?" Don't you already have one of those. It's on my to do list for this spring.

Oh, and as for clutch and flywheel upgrades: It is a slippery slope, isn't it gentlemen? It's why I've committed to sticking with the mild MP215 setup. Quaife and coilovers will be as far as I'm taking this thing. It's already enough of a #$@%ing money pit. LOL.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Yep, forgot the Halatron fire bottle, expensive but very clean if used.

---------------

I was on the fence for some time on a clutch, especially when the everything was a part for the LSD install.

I hope to have good luck with the bigger power!