Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stupid oil level question when car is still hot

alB5

Hello all, I've been changing the oil in this car for a decent time now (every 5k) and I'm doubting myself with the oil level of the car. I always add 4.3 quarts (down to the '20' on the 5th bottle) and kind of went with it.

Today after work (car still hot) I checked my level and it was well above the top arrow. Should I check only when the car is cold? As when oil is upwards of 180 degrees it surely expands.

Thanks for any insight, I realize this might be a stupid question but better safe than sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a hot cold issue. Not all of the old oil drains out. Still worth doing with a warm engine.

4.3 quarts put me above the fill line. Drained some out and 4 quarts put me to the fill line. Noticed this on my 1st oil change.

Taking it down to the 20 oz mark is a little more than 0.3 qt. by a couple ounces.

haste

1000 Post Club
a little above, a little below... its not gonna matter unless you have it either grossly overfilled or underfilled.