Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Subaru and Toyota working on a hot hatch for 2022

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Sad Subaru can't figure that out by itself.

What made the Ford hot hatches so great was their availability, and the fact that the incentives also applied to them. All these other manufacturers seem to treat their sportier cars like gold that you have to jump through hoops for.

I won't be buying anything for a long time, so I really don't have any interest in any of these new cars coming out.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If Scoobie is going to use this to get back into the WRC series (like that article suggests), they may have to develop a hybrid powertrain for it, since that is MANDATORY for top level WRC cars next year. [wink]

Unless the rules allow for the manufacturers/builders to develop hybrid powertrain 'kits' to be applied to the base cars, like is done currently for the top level not hybrid cars, and do not require them to come from the factory with hybrid power. I have not seen the official FIA rules yet so [dunno].

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Maybe Toyota can help make the boxer engine reliable... if they do, this might be a nice Yaris gr alternative since I have been lusting over that car nonstop since it was announced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If true, this has to be the US version GR they have been talking about. There's no way Toyota would have two separate models occupying pretty much the same space...especially in the small car segment.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Sad Subaru can't figure that out by itself.
It's not that Subaru can't figure it out by themselves, it's that 1) Toyota has a 20% ownership of subaru (so they can pull strings and influence) and 2) collaborations like this lead to increased profit for both manufacturers

Last edited:
OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
If true, this has to be the US version GR they have been talking about. There's no way Toyota would have two separate models occupying pretty much the same space...especially in the small car segment.
That's what I thought too, but I thought Toyota already confirmed the GR Corolla, and that Subaru has confirmed the WRX....I can't imagine this would be in ADDITION to those two models, but I could be wrong.

Anyone see this?
https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a35469754/subaru-toyota-awd-hot-hatch-rumor/

AWD, 2.4L turbo. Just a rumor now but Best Car is usually right on the money with these.

Wonder where this will slot into the lineup, especially since toyota has already more or less confirmed the corolla GR
AWD and 2.4 turbo sounds like Subaru is making something, but I’m sure Toyota is bank rolling some of it so I guess we can also give them credit?

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
AWD and 2.4 turbo sounds like Subaru is making something, but I’m sure Toyota is bank rolling some of it so I guess we can also give them credit?

yeah I guess. Also Toyota recently updated their trademarks for Celica - what if this is a new GT Four?

Business6

It's not that Subaru can't figure it out by themselves, it's that 1) Toyota has a 20% ownership of subaru (so they can pull strings and influence) and 2) collaborations like this lead to increased profit for both manufacturers
Indeed Making cars is shockingly expensive from concept to production to marketing. I'm all for collaborations if it means we get options more fun cars again that are under $35k.

Right now almost feels like a last hurrah/throwback to the 90s with the wild and varied cars. I'd crap my pants if Ford said "fuck it" and brought the FiST back for a couple of years. Hell, I'd be down to take a real look at the Puma ST.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
yeah I guess. Also Toyota recently updated their trademarks for Celica - what if this is a new GT Four?
IF they can maintain the original GT-4/All-Trac models' size, weight, and aesthetics, they will have a winner, not so much if they bloat it out to something too porky. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Indeed Making cars is shockingly expensive from concept to production to marketing. I'm all for collaborations if it means we get options more fun cars again that are under $35k.

Right now almost feels like a last hurrah/throwback to the 90s with the wild and varied cars. I'd crap my pants if Ford said "fuck it" and brought the FiST back for a couple of years. Hell, I'd be down to take a real look at the Puma ST.
Supposedly, the Puma is going to be the platform that M-Sport uses for next year's hybrid power train, top level WRC car. [thumb]

So, no more new Fiestas on the stages. [:(]

ronmcdon

kinda conflicted about this. ideally would be hoping for the corolla with awd yaris gr powertrain. another hot hatch is welcome of course, but not if it means compromising that with a badge engineered wrx.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Am I the only one here who finds this whole idea completely baffling . First you have Toyota that already has the Yaris GR and the Corolla Hatch with a possible GR version. Then you have Suburu who pretty much is deathly afraid of manufacturing anything that would effect WRX and STI sales. Hence the resistance to put a proper Turbocharged engine in the BRZ.
Now all of a sudden they are talking about making a hot hatch in Combo with Toyota. Excuse me if this does not look like both companies metaphorically and economically shooting themselves both in the foot. :ROFLMAO:

I mean ya if Suburu kills he WRX which they would never do. Oh and like M sport fan mentions make it a hybrid for Pro Rally Homologation But see Toyota really does not need any of Suburu for that. They already have the Yaris GR they already have class leading hybrid tech it would be very easy for them to adapt it to the Yaris rather than spending time and money on a whole new platform.
No no no. this is crazy talk by crazy speculation.

I don’t care if the magazine has a great rep for speculation. Being a Japanese car guy for years, I have seen so many Japanese car mags speculate on new cars by Nissan and Toyota that never came to exist. I would take this one with a grain of salt. .

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I agree it makes absolutely no sense.
First no one is buying cars sad but true. If people are not buying regular cars why are they going to buy hot hatches?

The WRX comes in two varieties WRX and STI. You have the BRZ I know not a hot hatch but it still competes. Whatever hot hatch Toyota may or may not bring over, and then whatever this contraption is.

Toyota let's make a Geo prisma, a Pontiac vibe, team up with BMW have them basically build the car and call it a Toyota, team up with Mazda to build electric cars and let's team up with Subaru. Yes I know they've already done that I'm a car guy. I will believe it when I see it.

Why not build a car with Ferrari Italians probably have too much pride to be a sellout.

Last edited:

jeff

2000 Post Club
All these great little cars on the market or horizon...the Kia GT stuff and the Hyundai N stuff and the Fiesta ST and the Yaris thing and now this...feels like the 80s again...Omni GLHS and Mazda 323 GTX and the 16-valve Toyotas and the CRX Si..............someone turn on MTV and get me a Choco Taco.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
But* It wont be coming here. We always get the shaft when it comes to the real good performance stuff. We are the land of the PIckem up trucks and SUVs. We wouldn't wanna pull people away from those oversized gas guzzling crap boxes.