Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Subwoofer Idea: Converting Infinity Basslink to flat box?

iso100

1000 Post Club
I have an Infinity Basslink in my XR4Ti collecting dust. It's a plastic enclosure with a 10" sub and a 10" passive radiator paired to an integrated Infinity Class D amp that even has speaker level inputs.

It's too thick at 8" to fit in my ST without wasting space. I was thinking of building a slim box that fits under the cargo floor (there's a false floor that leaves about 5" of space between it and the real cargo floor) and just transfer the sub, radiator and amp to that.

Thoughts about doing such a job? The radiator would need to be either ditched or put on the same plane as the active sub. Not sure if that would cancel stuff out or what. Right now the two are on opposite sides of the box.

I'm thinking this would be a great way to reuse what I already have. I just need to calculate the interior volume of the existing enclosure and replicate that in MDF or whatever makes sense to build with nowadays.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
What about just selling it on Craigslist and getting a shallow sub and new amp? You can probably get $80 for it.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
What about just selling it on Craigslist and getting a shallow sub and new amp? You can probably get $80 for it.
That's another option but I'd be paying more, ultimately. I think I'd still need to make a custom enclosure on top of buying a new subwoofer and amp.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
That's another option but I'd be paying more, ultimately. I think I'd still need to make a custom enclosure on top of buying a new subwoofer and amp.
But you can get a better sub and more powerful amp lol. Figured if you going to spend time and build a box anyway start with good products.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Great idea. Make it happen. The PR being on the same plane will not adversely affect performance.
Thanks! What are people using for materials now? Still MDF or something else?

Thanks! What are people using for materials now? Still MDF or something else?
I abhor MDF. It's heavy and fragile and a moisture sponge.

Birch is your best bet. It's more expensive, but if you're only going to do it once, it's worth it.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Sweet. Birch it is. How thick do I have to go?

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
You could probably get away with 1/2" with that build, but working with anything smaller than 23/32" or 3/4" is kind of a pain in the butt if you use screws for assembly.
Cool, and are people using 100% birch or just veneer?

Cool, and are people using 100% birch or just veneer?
100% birch. Baltic flavor usually.

Since I build so many boxes... I just use cabinet grade plywood. Aruco ply or "AC" ply. It's cheaper and lighter than MDF and still has the working-with-plywood advantages of Birch. It's just not quite as light or pretty.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Taylor, you're awesome. Thanks! Time for some 3d modeling.