Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TEI Racing BBK info

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
While Whoosh's BBK thread may have been the inspiration behind contacting TEI, it won't be my focus here. We don't know if Whoosh is reselling them or not and likely won't ever know for certain. Shits no longer given...

I did learn a couple things reaching out to TEI. First, they are incredibly responsive. Hank responds to me within a day each and every time with real answers. The kit he recommended is a fixed caliper, 4 piston with 330mm 2-pc rotos. Cost? A scary low price of $550!!! That's right folks, it's always black Friday in China!

Now I'm not saying I'd buy this thing. The price alone makes me nervous. But it's definitely worth exploring further. This post may be a bit premature in that i still have other questions for him regarding certifications, warranty, replacement parts, and whatever else. I'm posting early just in case anybody else is curious and would like me to ask him anything in particular.

In a few hours, I'm going to ask him:
  1. What other brands of brake pads fit the caliper?
  2. Do you have a 330mm rotor with only slots? I don’t like drilled.
  3. What’s the warranty on this kit?
  4. Has your company received any ISO certifications?
  5. What other colors are available?
Hank is aware the hub is not for our application. He responded that the kits are custom made to order. He sent me this as an example of what the calipers look like and what will be included with the kit - for 5 5 0 :eek: lol
TEI kit.png

Last edited:
first, thank you for doing this! be interesting if you get positive responses on your pending questions

Questions I have:
1) is there a minimum order? $550 might be the price of a per unit bulk order and/or they might only ship if say, 50 units are purchased
2) does that include USA import taxes/Chinese export taxes? or would that all get calculated with shipping? (if they do sell on a per unit basis). with the Trump administration China import taxes this might be substantial (or might not, i have no idea if those taxes have changed with the Biden administration or were never a factor to begin with...or TEI may be such a small operation that they can bypass all that and it's on us to declare these import items)
3) are calipers the same size across rotor size? if 285mm rotor pairs with a smaller (thinner) caliper I would definitely just go with that for better wheel fitment. pretty sure the answer is "no" and maybe hoping it's a no as more parts can equal more things that can fail

kevinatfms

How did he size the pistons in this kit to work with the stock master cylinder and rear calipers?

Type of material used for calipers?

Monoblock or split case two piece?(picture shows split case calipers)

Maximum temp for piston seals?

Powercoated, anodized or painted calipers? Max temp of the paint?

Blank rotor rings? Replacement cost? Availability?

Rotors are directional in photos(L and R shown), how are vanes designed and tested? How many vanes per rotor ring?

Source quality control program? ISO, ANSI, ASTM?

Testing program? Any manufacturer based testing completed? Any race series?

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
Sorry for the delayed update. My company is relocating and I'm the point person. Haven't had any time bn that and the holidays. On top of that, poor guy caught COVID and was put of work for a couple of weeks. But i do finally have an update.
  • What other brands of brake pads fit the caliper?
    • "We have brake pad size drawing.You can find the suitable brake pad in your local market." Huh? So we're supposed to get drawings of pads from other vendors before we would order replacements.? I mean, I guess that's workable after the initial hustle to find a match.
  • Do you have a 330mm rotor with only slots? I don’t like drilled.
    • "We have three types of rotor. Drilled, Slotted+Drilled and slotted." Typical options. No blanks for ya @M-Sport fan
  • What’s the warranty on this kit?
    • "Three years warranty for calipers,and one year warranty for rotor,brake pad and brakeline." This was a pleasant surprise. But it's only as good as the company backing it. But considering he's been so responsive, I can be optimistic.
  • Has your company received any ISO certifications?
    • "No,we have not sent the products to make ISO certifications. We will upgrade our products again next year,which is including the certifications" Niiice.
ANNNND he found this thread lmao

And i have seen your article...

Actually,i understand what you worry but i still feel a little sad.

The price of brake kit is not expensive but many US customers would like to write a something to doubt our product quality rather than to get a sample to test it.

We have met this situation before.

I think maybe we must to change something if we want to enter USA supermarket.

We will upgrade our products again next year,which is including the certifications....I think you know that ISO and CE are not the professional certifications in brake kit

It doesn't matter if you don't trust our company and our products now. We can keep in touch.

I believe we will cooperate one day.

What do you think,sir?

To which i responded:

I appreciate your response. One of my major worries was the ISO certification.

You mention that ISO isn’t a “Professional certification in brake kit” but it is applicable.
Some of your direct competitors have ISO certs:
  1. StopTech achieved ISO.TS 16949:2009 back in 2013.
  2. IcerBrakes has had the ISO 9001 for meeting quality management standards for 25 years
  3. Tarox has both ISO 9001 and is German KBA compliant
I am very pleased to see that you intend to get the ISO cert this year! That will go a long way to building customer trust in your products!

I’m sorry I assumed that your price point meant a lack of quality but it’s the only information I really have to go on. If you’d like to send me a sample kit, I’d be willing to test it for an honest & thorough review in my article. I’d even put together an installation video & write up. This would also go a long way to building trust in your brake systems. What do you think,sir? 😊

As you can see from my article, there is interest in your kit. Perhaps after a successful test, you and I can work together to set up a group buy for the guys on my forum that are interested in the kit? This would help with building brand recognition here in the US. I’m also active in the Mazda Miata community (I own 2 ND Miatas) and I’d be happy to be represent your product with those guys as well.

SOME MORE QUESTIONS FROM MY GROUP:
  1. Would your price include US import and Chinese export costs?
  2. You recommended a 330mm but in the email subject you say 285mm. Are both rotor sizes available for the Ford Fiesta ST kit? How many other sizes are available for my car?
  3. Does your kit have different calipers for each rotor size or is the caliper the same for all rotors?
  4. Do the pistons on the calipers have seals? Some brakes don’t. Wilwood, for example.
    1. What is the maximum temp the piston seals can withstand?
  5. What is the caliper made of? Weight?
  6. Is the caliper a monoblock design or split?
  7. Are the calipers anodized or powder coated?
  8. How many vanes per rotor?
  9. Are the rotor vanes directional?
  10. And finally, do you guys participate in or sponsor any sanctioned racing?
Thank you for taking the time and being so attentive so far. I’m looking forward to your responses!

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed update. My company is relocating and I'm the point person. Haven't had any time bn that and the holidays. On top of that, poor guy caught COVID and was put of work for a couple of weeks. But i do finally have an update.
  • What other brands of brake pads fit the caliper?
    • "We have brake pad size drawing.You can find the suitable brake pad in your local market." Huh? So we're supposed to get drawings of pads from other vendors before we would order replacements.? I mean, I guess that's workable after the initial hustle to find a match.
  • Do you have a 330mm rotor with only slots? I don’t like drilled.
    • "We have three types of rotor. Drilled, Slotted+Drilled and slotted." Typical options. No blanks for ya @M-Sport fan
  • What’s the warranty on this kit?
    • "Three years warranty for calipers,and one year warranty for rotor,brake pad and brakeline." This was a pleasant surprise. But it's only as good as the company backing it. But considering he's been so responsive, I can be optimistic.
  • Has your company received any ISO certifications?
    • "No,we have not sent the products to make ISO certifications. We will upgrade our products again next year,which is including the certifications" Niiice.
ANNNND he found this thread lmao

To which i responded:
thanks so much for updating. I'm sure he's frustrated but hopefully your communication will continue.

kevinatfms

thanks so much for updating. I'm sure he's frustrated but hopefully your communication will continue.
Frustration comes with entering a new market. If he wants to get more mainstream attention and expand his market he should be well aware of the questions on quality control and testing required to proof his product out.

I am very willing to listen and see his responses.

Frustration comes with entering a new market. If he wants to get more mainstream attention and expand his market he should be well aware of the questions on quality control and testing required to proof his product out.

I am very willing to listen and see his responses.
i hope TEI Racing is willing to hear us out as well. having an affordable BBK from a supplier willing to listen to the Fiesta ST/GR86/Miata community would be huge.

I bought a whoosh BBK, the pads that came with it say TEI racing. I bought the EBC pads on whoosh site that fit the BBK but they do not fit. It’s a whole different caliper. Which is why I’m selling.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
I just ping'd Hank again. I hope the delayed response is just internal debate on how to proceed with our interest.

I bought a whoosh BBK, the pads that came with it say TEI racing. I bought the EBC pads on whoosh site that fit the BBK but they do not fit. It’s a whole different caliper. Which is why I’m selling.
Interesting...Would you mind posting a pic of those TEI labeled brake pads?

I saw your F/S post. Sorry you have to deal with that BS.

I just ping'd Hank again. I hope the delayed response is just internal debate on how to proceed with our interest.

Sure I will as soon as I get home in the afternoon. And I was really disappointed.

I had told myself I would never go BBK but if TEI is going ISO certifications and this group buy actually works out well I'm in too! Guess I'm getting a new winter tire setup if this works out.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You must have made some kind of mistake I currently have EBC Orange pads bought from Ron in my 300mm Setup and we have the same calipers the only difference is you have larger rotors.

You must have made some kind of mistake I currently have EBC Orange pads bought from Ron in my 300mm Setup and we have the same calipers the only difference is you have larger rotors.
I asked him before I bought the EBC brake pads and I talked to him about my concern that the caliper looks different. He said those pads fit ALL his BBK’s. It did not fit.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I asked him before I bought the EBC brake pads and I talked to him about my concern that the caliper looks different. He said those pads fit ALL his BBK’s. It did not fit.
That is really strange. I do not know what to say especially since I have EBC pads in my Calipers right now. Perhaps you got a mislabeled box that had pads for a different model of Caliper that can happen.

That is really strange. I do not know what to say especially since I have EBC pads in my Calipers right now. Perhaps you got a mislabeled box that had pads for a different model of Caliper that can happen.
Your caliper isn’t the pin style where the pads slide out the top ?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Those calipers don't look like my Whoosh bbk. That's strange.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I was expecting the style where it has 2 pins you take out to slide the pads out the top
Right, that's what mine are and that's what works with the EBC pads. I've run yellows and blues in mine without issue.