Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Best High Performance AS Tires

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Unfortunately treadwear ratings don'ts have a set standard. So a 200 Michelin would not be the same as a 200 Goodyear.
Plenty of summer tires in the 300 range as well.
True, but it can be a rough estimate of how sticky they are in general, well at least I hope so, hehe...

True, but it can be a rough estimate of how sticky they are in general, well at least I hope so, hehe...
Yeah sort of. There is a standard test method for UTQG treadwear but it's only 7,200 miles and there's some extrapolation by the manufacturer and they can assigned a safety factor. It's useful for comparing tire lines between a manufacturer (Michelin Super Sport vs Pilot Sport AS3) but not very useful when comparison across manufacturer as was previous mentioned.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I can't afford the best....whichever ones that may be. I always buy in the Extreme High Performance A/S category. For the money, my Mazda 5 had G Force Comp 2 and now the RE980 from Costco. $452 otd. I'm not sure what I will run on the FiST when it comes time, but I can confidently say it will not be a $200+ tire. Or $150+.

The base tire on the 2020 Corvette Stingray is a newly developed Michelin all-season tire, the Pilot Sport All Season 4 (the previous Corvette only offered summer performance tires).

While it might seem counterintuitive to specify all-season tires on a mid-engine sports car, the goal for these tires is 1.00 g of lateral grip, which is higher than what the C6 Corvette could manage on summer tires.

Michelin expects Corvettes with Pilot Sport 4S summer tires to pull between 1.03 and 1.05 g.

Thanks for moving into more details, and you're right... but I'm also going to go stickier 300tw too, you said at one point you didn't want to get into that, but you see summer performance tires are in the 140-200tw range, so wouldn't moving down from a 460 to 300tw help with traction too? Again, I'm being honest and going cheap, but at only $320 a set installed I don't mind replacing them every 20k if they are decently sticky and perform well for my needs.
As a rule of thumb, yes the lower the treadwear, generally the more traction you get but treadwear isn’t a standard scale, others have mentioned but a given rating within a brands line of tires is really only relative to that brands other tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Tire manufacturers assign a wear rating based on the initial test against a test standard tire......they then have 6 months to get detailed data and corrected the initial number. So unless it is a brand new tire the numbers should be relatively close. But in truth it is more about how you drive. We can look at our OEM RE050A's and see reports on the forum for them lasting from 8K to over 30K miles. Big difference in a test track and real world driving.......If 8K was the base test tire then the wear ratings on my 32K mile tires would be 400 since they lasted 4X as long. But not everyone babies tires like I do.

Unfortunately treadwear ratings don'ts have a set standard. So a 200 Michelin would not be the same as a 200 Goodyear.
Plenty of summer tires in the 300 range as well.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
This. The TW ratings are pretty BS. I have had 180 P Zero Assimetricos that felt like 20 and 280 Kumhos that felt like 500. The manufacturers can basically slap whatever number they want on the side. Nobody is hold them to any uniform standard.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
If they're actually testing how many miles your tires should last why are re71rs and rs4s both 200 treadwear tires?
Have to ask them....the tests are standardized. But not monitored,
This. The TW ratings are pretty BS. I have had 180 P Zero Assimetricos that felt like 20 and 280 Kumhos that felt like 500. The manufacturers can basically slap whatever number they want on the side. Nobody is hold them to any uniform standard.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48

"When looking at UTQG ratings it is important to realize that the Department of Transportation does not conduct the tests. The grades are assigned by the tire manufacturers based on their test results or those conducted by an independent testing company they have hired. The NHTSA has the right to inspect the tire manufacturer's data and can fine them if inconsistencies are found. While most new tire lines have their grades established when they are introduced, they are allowed a 6-month grace period to allow the tire manufacturer to test actual production tires. Once a grade is assigned it must be branded on the tire's upper sidewall and printed on its label. "

Tread wear is ultimately determined by how they are driven and maintained. The indicator is a half decent indicator of grip.

Last edited:
Have to ask them....the tests are standardized. But not monitored,

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48

"When looking at UTQG ratings it is important to realize that the Department of Transportation does not conduct the tests. The grades are assigned by the tire manufacturers based on their test results or those conducted by an independent testing company they have hired. The NHTSA has the right to inspect the tire manufacturer's data and can fine them if inconsistencies are found. While most new tire lines have their grades established when they are introduced, they are allowed a 6-month grace period to allow the tire manufacturer to test actual production tires. Once a grade is assigned it must be branded on the tire's upper sidewall and printed on its label. "
It's just not a very useful number. I worked in the tire industry for a while, those fines basically never happen. The manufacturers bend the numbers to their will. Wanna sell a hardcore performance tire and build that rep? Put an artificially low number on it. Wanna make an economizer for cheapskates? Put a huge number on it.

When selling tires the number can be used as an effective sales tool. As a consumer it's almost worthless.

I am guilty of getting way off topic in this thread for sure but there is some useful info in this thread for people that are not super well versed on tire stuff.

Also keeping with the off topic theme Tirerack has some good closeouts on snow tires in the 185 15 size for our cars right now. I just scored a set of Blizzack WS80's for like $82 a tire which is a great price on one of the best snow tires out there.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It's just not a very useful number. I worked in the tire industry for a while, those fines basically never happen. The manufacturers bend the numbers to their will. Wanna sell a hardcore performance tire and build that rep? Put an artificially low number on it. Wanna make an economizer for cheapskates? Put a huge number on it.

When selling tires the number can be used as an effective sales tool. As a consumer it's almost worthless.
So are you telling me in America big corporations don't actually have to follow the rules you don't say.
Those are fantastic snow tires.

So are you telling me in America big corporations don't actually have to follow the rules you don't say.
Those are fantastic snow tires.

In the industry I was just given the impression the TW ratings are a joke. As a consumer of many tires thays been my experiance. They have BS mileage warranty's as well that are pretty much just flim flam.

As a consumer your best weapon is consumer reviews from people that know something, good magazine reviewers, etc. People that get exposed to a lot more tires and types of cars than us. People that use a lot of tires, amatuer racers etc.

The manufacturers basically assure you its black and round. The rest of their BS isnt really that useful.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
New Vette comes with AS tires.
"Chevy's decision to deliberately reduce the dynamic capabilities of the new, mid-engine Corvette by making all-season, non-performance tires standard seems more than a bit counterintuitive. After all, the primary reason for moving the Corvette's engine behind the passenger compartment is to improve performance. But, as Corvette executive chief engineer Tadge Juechter explains, "More customers than ever are saying that they'd really like to drive three seasons on the same tires." So, standard on the base FE1 suspension setup Stingray is Michelin's new Pilot Sport All Season 4, a run-flat tire that Michelin and Chevy developed specifically for this car."

• The base tire on the 2020 Corvette Stingray is a newly developed Michelin all-season tire, the Pilot Sport All Season 4 (the previous Corvette only offered summer performance tires).
  • While it might seem counterintuitive to specify all-season tires on a mid-engine sports car, the goal for these tires is 1.00 g of lateral grip, which is higher than what the C6 Corvette could manage on summer tires.
  • Michelin expects Corvettes with Pilot Sport 4S summer tires to pull between 1.03 and 1.05 g.
Nuff said about AS tires VS Summer only!

Nuff said about AS tires VS Summer only!
This is a bit of cherry picked data. The C6 corvette is over a decade old as far as the car itself is concerned and the GM Y-body traces its initial design roots back to the 80s. I hope a fully modern architecture and chassis would put that to shame, even with all seasons. The C6 also runs relatively narrow (for the type of car) 245/40R18s up front and 285/35R19s in the rear. Tire size for the new corvette hasn’t been released but the stingray ran the same width with larger rims (19 front 20 rear). I’d be very surprised if the mid-engined corvette didn’t run larger tires all the way around. GM wants it to outperform the old corvette in every conceivable manner, their intent is to build a relatively cheap semi-exotic. As we’ve discussed here, grip is one of the best ways to boost performance metrics, so I’d be willing to bet that the new one comes with wider rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Only if my wife wins the lottery......for me a base GT 6 speed with sync/audio 301A pkg, variable exh, $300 wheel upgrade, spare tire and spoiler delete. Figure $35-37K OTD.

All I need is a fun driver......basically rumbling V8, Manual, Tach and speedo.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #140
I should have been more specific about the intent of this thread although it was great to read. I updated my thread “Road Trip” which should clarify everything