Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Great Quest for Headlights

I believe the ones you are after are found on the base model, Fiesta Studio. I have the same ones on my Fiesta Van I use for work. Black housing with chrome reflectors.

James

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I believe the ones you are after are found on the base model, Fiesta Studio. I have the same ones on my Fiesta Van I use for work. Black housing with chrome reflectors.

James
I'd rather have the projector ones. I've seen the ones you are talking about though.

Etyrnus

From looking at the Ford UK site, the studio appears to have the US ST's headlights.

Jutz

I was pretty bummed when I found out I couldn't pop these bad boys in the oven and simply clear them the old fashioned way. So here I am, subbed to this thread to check out the options.

TheStig

I was pretty bummed when I found out I couldn't pop these bad boys in the oven and simply clear them the old fashioned way. So here I am, subbed to this thread to check out the options.
What i read for perma-sealed headlights is either dremel them and do a good job on the reseal OR get a heatgun and work small sections at at time with picks and prying tools. Id go that route as opposed to dremel, id be afraid of doing permanent damage.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
This is what a dremel job looks like. Most of the cutting is on the back side, so it will not be seen on the outside of the headlight.

This is what the HIDs (Morimotos) look like, just installed with my grubby paw prints all over them.

This is what a dremel job looks like. Most of the cutting is on the back side, so it will not be seen on the outside of the headlight.

This is what the HIDs (Morimotos) look like, just installed with my grubby paw prints all over them.
Were you able to fix the misaligned rotation?

Chris G

[MENTION=411]westcoaST[/MENTION] - assuming you have the relay wired to the battery? Just curious how you routed all of the additional wiring in a clean fashion.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
[MENTION=411]westcoaST[/MENTION] - assuming you have the relay wired to the battery? Just curious how you routed all of the additional wiring in a clean fashion.
If you are referring to the Ford Euro headlights, NO additional wiring is required.
Just move one wire in the connector from pin location to another.

Dave

Chris G

Good info, Dave. But I was referring to the retrofitted setup that westcoaST is running. The retro setup I had on my old FA5 came with a HD relay that wired up to the battery. It was A LOT of wiring that I was able to route cleanly and I was curious if the FiST blesses us with the same opportunity.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
The wiring and the lights were retrofitted by Sick HIDs. The wiring sits between the lower cowl and the upper one. I had to make holes in the lower cowl with a step drill and pass the wiring for the drivers and passengers side lights.The wiring included a relay, a tap for power and ground, the trigger, and the HID lights. I tapped into the plug that plugs into the OEM socket in the middle of the headlight, to add the running light for the LED strip. It's pretty easy to do and is in my build. Every plug is identified with a tag and you cannot plug two different plug types together. And they're color coded.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I'd love to get a left hand drive version of this headlight for my car! [hihi]

I don't even care about HID, just the projectors alone would be awesome....

Attachments

^That is the concept Fiesta ST. Those lights never made it into production.

I'm planning on retrofitting the smallest available bi-led projectors, 2 sets, 4 total. It will mimic the concept setup but will put out twice the light.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
^That is the concept Fiesta ST. Those lights never made it into production.

I'm planning on retrofitting the smallest available bi-led projectors, 2 sets, 4 total. It will mimic the concept setup but will put out twice the light.
Yes, I am aware of that (concept Fiesta ST). I just captured the pic form google to illustrate what I'd like to do to my car. So far absolutely no luck with black projectors. [bash]

FistSt215

Never understood why the fist never came with bi-xenon hid projector headlights . I understand that it would drive the price up, but wouldn't mind a option like the recaros, wheels, nav. I would pay the extra money for some good headlights .

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Yes, I am aware of that (concept Fiesta ST). I just captured the pic form google to illustrate what I'd like to do to my car. So far absolutely no luck with black projectors. [bash]
Actually, that was my original direction, but after looking at output from the small morimotos, evaluating costs, placement of two ballasts per side in tight spaces, and light output, I went with the larger Morimoto HIDS, with LEDs for the high beams. Cost was less, output is the same, and I painted my reflectors performance blue, with an LED strip attached to the running lights. See my previous post for photos.

TheStig

Actually, that was my original direction, but after looking at output from the small morimotos, evaluating costs, placement of two ballasts per side in tight spaces, and light output, I went with the larger Morimoto HIDS, with LEDs for the high beams. Cost was less, output is the same, and I painted my reflectors performance blue, with an LED strip attached to the running lights. See my previous post for photos.
Wonder if two matchbox kits would work. They appear to be the smallest projector but depth may still be a factor.

Then again with not having been inside the headlight, you may be able to install twin D2S projectors per headlight but have the same possible issues you mentioned, the ballasts and also high cost. Plus the Matchbox setup appears to be best used as foglights, not too many used for headlights.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Its the small spacing between the high and low beams which causes the most problems. I got the smallest Bi-xenon Morimotos we could find, (2.5" MX-H1R Bi-Xenon Projectors), but these are 5X brighter than the OEMS. Also get 5000K bulbs as these throw white light, and throw it farther than the other colors.