Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Great Quest for Headlights

KKaWing

LED vs. Halogen bulbs

[video=youtube;EYdWsxJYqWk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYdWsxJYqWk[/video]

Interesting video...

Etyrnus

Interesting, seems may partially be due to reflector shape. I may swap mine just for a comparison, but it does seem to cast further on the FiST.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
I gave in and ordered my euro headlights Tuesday. I decided the best route for me would be OEM.

I will post pics when I get them

Etyrnus

I've swapped my LEDs for some Philips Xtremevision halogen bulbs I have, for my own comparison. Going to give it a few nights.

Etyrnus

Ok, experiment concluded. I will say, if you're using the stock bulbs and want just better halogen bulbs, consider the Philips Xtremevisions. They cast light actually very well, nice distance. About a 3500k color temp, still a very warm white.

Still, I prefer the LEDs I have. The light pattern is extremely similar to the Xtremevisions, casting a bit further than the halogen. Also, the LED color temp is easier for my eyes to pick out, so I can see better with them.

It was worth the experiment, though. Also, I noticed the halogen bulbs hot spot and side cast just like the LEDs.

Ok, experiment concluded. I will say, if you're using the stock bulbs and want just better halogen bulbs, consider the Philips Xtremevisions. They cast light actually very well, nice distance. About a 3500k color temp, still a very warm white.

Still, I prefer the LEDs I have. The light pattern is extremely similar to the Xtremevisions, casting a bit further than the halogen. Also, the LED color temp is easier for my eyes to pick out, so I can see better with them.

It was worth the experiment, though. Also, I noticed the halogen bulbs hot spot and side cast just like the LEDs.
Try Philips DiamondVision. You may have to go to power bulbs.co.uk for them, but they're the closest to an HID/LED color temperature you can get in a Halogen without going blue. I ran these in my projectors and loved them.

KKaWing

I use these guys: OSRAM Nightbreaker Unlimited, they throw pretty far and reflects really well off signs.

Etyrnus

I use these guys: OSRAM Nightbreaker Unlimited, they throw pretty far and reflects really well off signs.

The Philips xtremevision are compared very favorably with the night breakers. Both had very good reviews, and are rated similarly by their manufacturers.

Both are less light than an h9, only less yellow.
H11 are the dimmest bulbs available unfortunately.

Sam4

That is pretty rad - really looking forward to seeing how those look.

Sounds like my badges should be showing up at any time now. It's been about 7 business days as of today. Hopefully by the end of the week.
Has anyone tried to swap out the high beams with H1 / 100W? I was actually surprised to see the H1 designation having had an import parts store back in the late 70's and 80's, we sold all kinds of Hella headlamps and bulbs. - H1 - H4's.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
H9 headlights with Luxeon fogs (slightly overexposed to show more)

Fogs off

Fogs on

Thank you for posting this! H9 is the way I'll be going along with Rally Innovations Baja Designs LED driving lights. This will solve the poor headlight issues for me.

KKaWing

Well... I got the itch again and started messing with LEDs again. I found some that actually fit for the most part. Doesn't hit anything, but it does push the dust cap out a bit.

The beam pattern is kinda still meh though. Even with the "flip chip / csp" lining up 3 abreast to mimic a tungsten filament position. There's this weird "squirrel finder" spot to the upper left of the hot spot. The hotspot itself is also a bit lower than the cutoff. The cutoff isn't "bad" but it's only good to the point that it kinda exists.

Here's a comparison with the almost 2 years old Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds.

Notes: I think I have a funky right headlight. The "right side" of the beam pattern kinda isn't there. I'm missing the second "squirrel finder". I get one "checkmark" and a shadow of a second one to the right but as you can see in the pictures, there's a chunk missing on the right side of the hot spot.

Impressions... Not sure how I feel about them yet. The hotspot as stated is kinda pointing low, but the reflective surfaces still pop. The new squirrel finder on the top left of the hotspot makes the lights kinda hard to aim. The upside is, as far as I can tell, there's no obvious glare. I did adjust the headlights down a bit after I took the pictures to match where the cutoff was for the halogens.

KKaWing

Do any of the top tier aftermarket companies make an upgraded H9 (like the PIAA Extreme White Hybrids, etc.)?
I wouldn't do it. I mean the standard Philips H9 is awesome, hands down the best upgrade... until it hazes the reflectors. If it hazes Focus reflectors and F150s, I don't think the Fiesta's reflectors stand much of a chance. Hella does their something or another 2.0 in H9. Tirerack amongst others carry it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wouldn't do it. I mean the standard Philips H9 is awesome, hands down the best upgrade... until it hazes the reflectors. If it hazes Focus reflectors and F150s, I don't think the Fiesta's reflectors stand much of a chance. Hella does their something or another 2.0 in H9. Tirerack amongst others carry it.
I did not read the whole thread, so I don't know if the hazing issue was stated in here somewhere, but I will not even think about doing even a base/standard H9 if it will kill the reflectors.
Right now I have the PIAA H11 Night Techs, and Phillips H1 Extreme Vision +130s in the factory housings, and for as much as I drive at night, they are fine.
My son even noticed the difference from the factory bulbs (asked if I changed anything, and it was half a year between the times he was in the car at night, so they are at least a little bit brighter, and further 'throw', than the factory bulbs. ;) ).

Last edited:

XanRules

Yeah, H9s are a great replacement for H11s in projectors but sadly H11s in reflectors don't have many off-the-shelf upgrades. I emailed Daniel Stern when I bought the car and got his recommendations, sounds like y'all have already picked those up, though. Folks who've purchased the Euro headlights, have you found them to be worth the price of the upgrade?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are (now were) these cars sold anywhere in the world with a full-on, designed for function/proper beam pattern/etc., LED option right from the factory?

XanRules

Nope, not to my knowledge. LED accents/DRLs, sure, but not LED bulbs/optics, which are still fairly new tech.