Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Last Straw

Lemon Lawed

I never wanted it to reach this point, but I thought it would be a good idea to share my experiences with my 2015 Tux Black FiST. At 2 years and 23k miles, I've absolutely had it with the repairs the car has needed. I absolutely love the car and the driving experience, but I can no longer make excuses for this thing.
That being said, I honestly believe that most FiSTs out there are very reliable, I just so happen to get one that slipped through quality control; it happens.

To date, the car has required/received the following repairs:
1) A new evap purge valve for engine stumbling after refueling
2) A new left driveshaft and wheel bearing
3) Two new HVAC door actuators.
4) A new HVAC control module
5) A new interior temperature sensor
6) A new sunroof (yes, the entire sunroof)

Pending issues as of this posting:
1) Paint defect on 3 of the 4 doors (corrosion at bottom door seam)
2) Front left strut clunking over large bumps
3) Engine stumbling again after refueling (prob. the evap system again)

In the last two years, the car has been into service at least once every 2 months. Some repairs have required more than 2 visits and some repairs have taken weeks to complete. The sunroof repair alone took 2 weeks. There's a running joke in my family that if I keep the car, by the end of the warranty, Ford would have built me and entirely new car.

What I've learned, which hopefully can help some of you out:
1) If you experience issues and the dealer is non-cooperative, contact Ford directly. In my case, formal letters were sent to their customer relations department. I found that when I sent physical letters to Ford, higher-ranking representatives (in my case, some sort of legal assistant or lawyer) responded; a lot better that speaking to those call-center representatives.
2) Don't be afraid to demand compensation. You know the saying: "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." After the first year of ownership, Ford ended up giving me an extended warranty for my troubles, though at this point it's not enough. Again, bypass the dealer and go directly to Ford.
3) Keep records of EVERYTHING (dealer service orders/invoices, service records/receipts, pictures of issues, videos, etc.).
4) Try emailing your service representative rather than only calling to speaking with them (so that there is a document trail); just avoid the "I didn't say that" BS.
5) Stick with one service representative (as much as possible). I've only has two the entire time I've owned the car, so they've been able to personally see the sheer amount of issues I've had and can vouch for me (they've actually been very sympathetic and helpful to the best of their ability).
6) If you get to where I'm at in my ownership experience, know your state's lemon law requirements and discuss your situation with Ford directly. I basically told them that if they didn't buy the car back I'd seek my state's lemon law arbitration process as I meet several criterion at this point. Again, it's best to bypass the dealer and speak directly to Ford. Be specific in your demands and request that ANY agreement be offered in writing.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me with all my issues over the years. If I get another ST, I'll be back (most likely). If not, have fun out there!

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Good luck in your adventure........Seems like 18 months is the limit in CA, if you have to file in that time you are screwed. The only criteria I see you meeting is possibly 30 days out of service if there is no delays caused by weather (shipping parts) and such or the dealer did not require you to leave the car. Taking your car in and getting it back the same day does not count as an "out of service" day, you drove it that day according to what I read. So the 30 days are 24 hour days at the dealer. You may have to get a Lawyer to file for you in your state, some allow you to file without one. Also and most states do not allow you to be reimbursed for his costs without sueing separately, did not look it up for CA. Generally speaking if the states allows you to file without one you cannot collect if you hire one except by sueing.

CA has one of the weaker lemon laws according to what I read about lemon laws a few years ago in a magazine. There is no limit on the number of repairs as long as they are different each time. The time limit ends before your warranty. The same problem does not mean "evap issues" if it is caused by a different part failure each time. Sounds like you got a bad one, sorry for your troubles.......I hope the Lemon law in Cali is going to help you. Do some research on the net to see what it will actually take to file in CA.

I have never had a Lemon but a friend did and he said he should have just sold the car as he took a beating on GM buying the car back, he got KBB wholesale for it after a 16 month fight and no lawyer reimbursement but he was not in CA, he is in LA. They have "free" arbitration but the rules are so restrictive the consumer usually does not make out well. Then you have to sue, which can take a year or more and if you win you get the value of the car when you turn it in, so another year of depreciation and if the settlement from the manufacturer is the same as was offered at arbitration the will not allow your legal fees to be reimbursed. You also hear cases where it all worked out to the consumers advantage so who knows what will happen, I worry when "laws" get involved with Dealer Associations and Owners donating to the politicians to insure they do not suffer too much with the "Lemon Laws". Many are toothless........

CA Lemon Law Presumption*

Within the Song-Beverly Act, there is a presumption guideline wherein it is presumed that a vehicle is a “lemon” if the following criteria are met within 18 months of delivery to the buyer or lessee or 18,000 miles on the vehicle’s odometer, whichever comes first

• The manufacturer or its agents have made two or more attempts to repair a warranty problem that results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven;
• The manufacturer or its agents have made four or more attempts to repair the same warranty problem; or
• The vehicle has been out of service for more than 30 days (not necessarily all at the same time) while being repaired for any number of warranty problems; or
• The problems are covered by the warranty, substantially reduce the vehicle’s use, value, or safety to the consumer and are not caused by abuse of the vehicle;
• If required by the warranty materials or by the owner’s manual, the consumer has to directly notify the manufacturer about the problem(s), preferably in writing. The notice must be sent to the address shown in the warranty or owner’s manual (for bullets 1 and 2).

Last edited:
OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for the added info. We'll see how it goes and what Ford has to say before I take it into the courts and for arbitration. I did consider just dumping the car via trade, but its depreciated so badly that I'd be out 3-4 grand.

Try the lemon law thing anyways as YMMV on it. My friend just managed to get Subaru to buy back a 6 year old car he has absolutely beat on, granted he did have a hell of a lawyer so that likely made the difference.