Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The true cost on an LSD?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
First question I have...
For the guys that have done an LSD or paid to have one installed, what was the total cost? What LSD?
Labor ?
Install parts/seals fluid?
LSD cost?

I'm thinking about offering a service... A service where I send people a trans with an LSD installed already. They install the trans and send me their old one.
This would get rid of down time almost completely.
I'm trying to measure what the cost would be, as well as what everyone would be willing to pay for a trans shipped to them with an LSD already installed....

Maybe a one time sale... Maybe something I do all the time... Basically; I'm not going to live with down time, so I'm going to buy a trans. Install the LsD in that trans. Then install it into the car in a day. Then install an LSD into my trans and sell it with or without a core.

$900 For Quaife + $125 Install Kit + $44 Motul 300 + $400 labor (tranny in and out myself)

So just shy of $1500.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
$400 labor seems like a real good deal... Maybe there is just too much risk for little profit in this...

Maybe I should just do mine and then sell my trans with an LSD out right for $2600-2700 with no core.

Chuckable

Yeah, $400 sounds like a good deal. That's for R&R of the transaxle plus install of the diff unit?

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
$400 I believe was for the disassembly of the trans, install of LSD, and reassembly of trans.
Wspec had to remove the trans as well as reinstall it.

Chuckable

Oh, duh! I see that now. Thanks.
The problem is still finding someone local who is competent to do the install. That's where Sourskittle may be on to something. Personally, I'd be wary of getting someone else's gearbox, though, since you just don't know the condition of the syncros, seals, etc.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Personally, I'd be wary of getting someone else's gearbox, though, since you just don't know the condition of the syncros, seals, etc.
And that is the issue... The risk vs the profit. These boxes are so expensive that getting stuck with a bad one, would out weigh the profit pretty quick if someone gave me a trans with issues and I didn't find out until someone else installed it in another state. Then what? Lol.

My trans is perfect, no one has ever heard me complain or comment about my trans. I love it actually. So maybe I'll just end up selling my personal trans later with an LsD already installed in and that be it. I can promise no issues with my personal trans, but its hard to vouch for someone else's trans.

Interesting idea, but I would be really wary of it if I were you given some of the trans problems I've read about on here. Seems like a good excuse for someone with a problematic trans to offload it to you while getting a new one with an LSD on the cheap. Meanwhile, you (or whoever you sell the next one to) is stuck with that trans.

$400 labor seems like a real good deal... Maybe there is just too much risk for little profit in this...

Maybe I should just do mine and then sell my trans with an LSD out right for $2600-2700 with no core.
There is a guy in the local ST group that works as a Ford transmission tech that will do it on the side, that is part of the reason it is cheaper.
I had a local 'performance shop' give me a quote of $800 (again just bringing it in out of the car myself)

There is a guy in the local ST group that works as a Ford transmission tech that will do it on the side, that is part of the reason it is cheaper.
I had a local 'performance shop' give me a quote of $800 (again just bringing it in out of the car myself)
Oh yea also called one local driveline shop that quoted $350 but I decided a Ford tech that has actually worked on the transmissions before is a better bet.

Siestarider

Total cost for my Quaife with install kit and fluid was almost $2k, Most difficult part was finding someone I could trust to do the work, $800 labor. Seems fair to me, because I would not do it for $800. And I do all my own work.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Lots of places will charge $500 just to re-gear a rear axle; and its worth it if you don't know what your doing and don't have the tools. So $600-$800 sounds far to me to dismantle a transaxle and install a new carrier/LSD

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
When you look at all the comments on this and weigh them against your time and profit margin it does not seem to be a good business model though very nobble of you to want to offer a much needed service at a good price.

[thumbdown]

I have done side jobs, full time, part time, founded and ran a successful business that made great money for a very long time, did many things out of passion that lost me a bundle....pretty much seen most but maybe not all that can go wrong, I would not put my energy into this:(

koozy

3000 Post Club
I like the idea and would pay for the service, but I don't like the idea of taking on someone else's tranny which could possibly have abused and worn components, gears, etc. Too much of a gamble unless the complete tranny was worked over, I'd rather have my own tranny back.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If you could find a source for new tranies, actually transaxles, at a decent price and no core charges or other requirements it may be a viable way to go.

KKaWing

An alternative is MFactory. I think they have a helical LSD for $699.95 Nothing fancy like Wavetrac, but they do claim Taiwanese forged internals and a relationship to Honda (factory?) racing teams. A little bit of savings to put towards the install I guess.

http://edm.teammfactory.com/helical-lsd_511

If you could find a source for new tranies, actually transaxles, at a decent price and no core charges or other requirements it may be a viable way to go.
What RAAM says would be the most cost effective. Ford Performance parts would have been the best method to do this by offering a new transaxle with a mechanical differential. The best situation would have been a factory installed LSD to begin with. Can anyone imagine the screaming and bitching of the Mustang faithful if they were given a torque vectoring diff as standard? There would be blood on the floor. I think the the next best thing would be for forum members to do the research and find some shops across the country that would be willing to take several members who want this done. Deal with the diff purchases as a group buy. One by one take cars or transaxels to the selected shops for installation. Given the costs, I have no interest in swapping transaxels.

What RAAM says would be the most cost effective. Ford Performance parts would have been the best method to do this by offering a new transaxle with a mechanical differential. The best situation would have been a factory installed LSD to begin with. Can anyone imagine the screaming and bitching of the Mustang faithful if they were given a torque vectoring diff as standard? There would be blood on the floor. I think the next best thing would be for forum members to do the research and find some shops across the country that would be willing to take several members who want this done. Deal with the diff purchases as a group buy. One by one take cars or transaxels to the selected shops for installation. Given the costs, I have no interest in swapping transaxels.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
The trans is like $2600-$2800 from ford. Throw in $1100 in diff parts, and $200-$300 shipping. $4800.00 sound like a good deal shipped and you keep yours trans? Lol.

Nope. Its not cost effective.But, for people who want to track or autocross their fiesta it is what's needed to make the car maximized for the task. People who are just casual users,don't need it. People who are just cheap, won't buy it. People who trade cars every two years, can't justify its cost.