Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thought it was a wheel bearing, tire came apart

haunsolo7

U.S. Marine Veteran
Was driving, felt like I had a blowout, but when I got out and looked everything looked fine, must have been parked on the missing tread lol
At work the next day lifted it up because I was thinking wheel bearing or something on the suspension, as I'm doing that on the passenger side coworker walks up and points out my driver tire, didn't feel too smart today haha
Anyways anyone ever have this happen? It's a Falken 205/40R17 "ZE960A/S" also new tire recommendations would be great, in the market now

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
YIKES!! [ohcrap][crazyeye]

And here I though that the profuse sidewall bubbling I experienced on the circa 2005 version of those very tires I had for 2 years on my 4th gen Z28, were bad.

As great as their 200 tread wear, DOT 'race' tires are, I really do not trust Falken donuts for regular street/all season use.

I have not checked what is available in that size for years now (sold my factory wheels 4 years ago), but if they are still making anything in that size, I would stick with Conti, BFG, Michelin, General, and maybe Cooper for decent all seasons.

Last edited:

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have and like the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 in the 205/40-17 OEM size that you are looking for. They have quick turn in and agile handling, which are my main priorities in a tire. I haven't driven them much in the rain, but the few times I did they did fine.
I prefer a summer tire to an all season, I think the all seasons compromise the quick handling which is the primary asset of the car too much.I do avoid the extreme performance summer tires, because I use them in cool weather, and those get too hard on cold days.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Damn that could’ve been so much worse.

I’ve only run the OEM RE050s, pzero neros, and fallen 615k+.

RE050 excellent, not worth the $

Pzero Nero (summer version) total crap

615k+ on my 3rd set. Love them. Highly recommend if weather where you’re at supports a summer tire. If not, I suggest do it anyways and get a dedicated winter set lol

OP
haunsolo7

haunsolo7

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Decided to just order a set of 15" steelies and blizzacks for the winter, and next season decide if I'm going to summers or A/S. Should probably go to a pick n pull and try to find a spare tire, didn't even know I didn't have one until now 😅

Dialcaliper

YIKES!! [ohcrap][crazyeye]

And here I though that the profuse sidewall bubbling I experienced on the circa 2005 version of those very tires I had for 2 years on my 4th gen Z28, were bad.

As great as their 200 tread wear, DOT 'race' tires are, I really do not trust Falken donuts for regular street/all season use.

I have not checked what is available in that size for years now (sold my factory wheels 4 years ago), but if they are still making anything in that size, I would stick with Conti, BFG, Michelin, General, and maybe Cooper for decent all seasons.
Even the great RT660's have had problems with the tread splice giving up and center rib disintegrating, at least they did a year or two ago. The problem may be fixed by now, but it's really hard to tell - Its one thing I'm still on the fence about before trying a pair of Falkens after my current Rivals have worn down. That, and the fact that while its usually supposed to be a "more affordable" tire, in 215/45R16 for some reason the Falkens are not meaningfully cheaper than the other options

https://www.google.com/search?q=rt660+delamination

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Even the great RT660's have had problems with the tread splice giving up and center rib disintegrating, at least they did a year or two ago. The problem may be fixed by now, but it's really hard to tell - Its one thing I'm still on the fence about before trying a pair of Falkens after my current Rivals have worn down. That, and the fact that while its usually supposed to be a "more affordable" tire, in 215/45R16 for some reason the Falkens are not meaningfully cheaper than the other options

https://www.google.com/search?q=rt660+delamination
Yes, I exempted the 660s from the distrust thing due to believing that Falken has solved/cured those tread delamination problems, but DID they??

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have been running 660’s for awhile now and they are a great summer tire. Sticky as hell only bested by A052’s 🤣 Which cost a lot more. They are my go to Summer tire. Hell I honestly have never tried to find a good all season tire. I am under the general impression that there are not really great all season choices for our cars that don’t cost an arm and a leg. It makes driving my car in rain condo’s a choir. Ah the GRC will solve that issue better wheel selection, better wheel sizes huge tire selection. 🤣
OK I will stop now😂

What's the production year on these tires? I run a lot of take off race tires to save on cost and I've usually only had this problem with rubber that is very old. I'm guessing these tires have been on there for a while? Just because I tire has tread don't mean it isn't dry rotted out.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wouldn't put Falken's on my car even if they were giving them away! Two flat spots on two tyres on my Focus with NO emergency stops or track days. Falken in Rancho Cucamonga told me to go pound sand and weren't in the least bit interested in finding out the cause even when I offered to take the tyres to them for examination. Customer Service is ZERO! They don't give a crap!

I wouldn't put Falken's on my car even if they were giving them away! Two flat spots on two tyres on my Focus with NO emergency stops or track days. Falken in Rancho Cucamonga told me to go pound sand and weren't in the least bit interested in finding out the cause even when I offered to take the tyres to them for examination. Customer Service is ZERO! They don't give a crap!
I wonder if you just had a single bad interaction with one worker or bad management. I've had a bunch friends with RT660 start delaminating after track days and falken has replaced with new tires with little to no struggle.
Like mentioned above tho, I wouldn't buy falkens for daily use personally.

OP
haunsolo7

haunsolo7

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #12
What's the production year on these tires? I run a lot of take off race tires to save on cost and I've usually only had this problem with rubber that is very old. I'm guessing these tires have been on there for a while? Just because I tire has tread don't mean it isn't dry rotted out.
I think 2021 if I'm reading this right

Attachments

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wonder if you just had a single bad interaction with one worker or bad management. I've had a bunch friends with RT660 start delaminating after track days and falken has replaced with new tires with little to no struggle.
Like mentioned above tho, I wouldn't buy falkens for daily use personally.
No, I stated facts in my letter to Falken but they weren't interested in finding out why the flat spots had occurred.

OP
haunsolo7

haunsolo7

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #14
Finally got a spare, winters getting here next week
If anyone is wondering a donut spare from a 2001 focus fits just fine front and rear
Edit: just the wheel is from the 2001 lol I bought a new 125/80/15 tire for it, don't go running 22 year old tires 😆 jeez that makes me feel old

Attachments

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Anyways anyone ever have this happen?
Yip. The Yokohama brand tires were still meaty, new. In addition they had a pillow type feeling and kept getting stuck everywhere during the Winter. Those Yokohama tires were so horrible I wouldn't have given those to Crooked Donald even; if he even knows how to drive something bigger than a golf cart 😂. On the subject, just got rid of a fresh set of Cooper brand tires because they were always picking up debris and wouldn't take a plug without leaking. Winter performance on the Cooper was okay for an all-season; just had to let the air out after a bad snow when I needed to get up the hill at home. But in several hundred thousands of miles, those are the only two sucky experiences I've had with a set of tires.

Last edited: