Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fuel for Thought

Taz

I saw THIS advertised recently. They claim it's some sort of Holy Grail for fuel saving based on getting around the car manufacturers intentionally making cars that use more fuel than they need to. It claims that it increases mpg whilst still retaining performance. If they're right then that'd be great, especially over here where fuel is around four times more expensive than it is in the US. Thing is, the old saying about "Too good to be true" is always a question about these sorts of things. Anyone know if it's genuine or just a con?

Last edited:

SteveS

1000 Post Club
It is possible to tune for fuel economy. The necessary companion is lower performance. My F150 comes with different programs at the touch of a button. Sport, Normal, Economy, Mud & Snow. They alter throttle response, transmission behavior (automatic), and do actually make the engine perform differently.

Whether this device you linked actually does anything at all is an open question.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I guess you could lean out the fuel mixture, but easy accelerating, staying out of boost, and coasting in gear will save you fuel and you can practice those techniques on any tune.

Zormecteon

Since every ECU not only from each manufacturer, but also in each different model has different parameters, ... there's no way a universal OBDII tuner will work in every car.... .. Reminds me of the cow magnets on the fuel line, and the step up transformer for coils...
Probably better to fill your tank with SNAKE OIL than to buy one of these.

OP
Taz

Taz

Thread Starter #8
Ah, so it is just a load of BS. Thing is, it's not a matter of not being able to afford to run my car and having to cut corners, it's more wanting to have more fun for less money, and not paying anymore in fuel than I need to. If the car companies are rigging their cars to guzzle fuel unnecessarily and there is a way to get them to use the right amount of fuel then I'm surely in, just as anybody would be.

Ah, so it is just a load of BS. Thing is, it's not a matter of not being able to afford to run my car and having to cut corners, it's more wanting to have more fun for less money, and not paying anymore in fuel than I need to. If the car companies are rigging their cars to guzzle fuel unnecessarily and there is a way to get them to use the right amount of fuel then I'm surely in, just as anybody would be.
I can assure you they are not. There is no incentive for them to. Just the opposite, in fact.