Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tips for COBB Exhaust Hangers

Ordered the COBB exhaust hangers, took 45 minutes and messing up my hand and forearm muscles just to do the rear one. Popped off oem ok with a flathead, then sprayed wd-40, which sucked trying to slide cobb on. Ended up spraying shit ton of windex and wiggling and pulling to get in on. Anyone have tips to tackle the other two? thought it would take 10 minutes to do all tree, LOL! Any help is appreciated.[8]

Ordered the COBB exhaust hangers, took 45 minutes and messing up my hand and forearm muscles just to do the rear one. Popped off oem ok with a flathead, then sprayed wd-40, which sucked trying to slide cobb on. Ended up spraying shit ton of windex and wiggling and pulling to get in on. Anyone have tips to tackle the other two? thought it would take 10 minutes to do all tree, LOL! Any help is appreciated.[8]
Honestly, I don't remember them being that hard to push on. But I believe I gave each of mine a shot of red or white lithium grease. You could also try squeezing them on using a large set of channel locks.

OP
SaltFiST
Thread Starter #4
Ya I used channel locks it took minutes.
Dammit, forgot to mention that i eventually did use channel locks, and that is when i was able to pop them on. still took a minute though. Channel locks are the key then. Plus, i think i have the upper body strength of an infant, that doesn't help.

I used white lithium grease and a hammer. Spray the grease on the actual hanger, and the part the hanger goes on. it slides on like no tomorrow, wipe off the grease with a rage, and bam. 10 minutes.

OP
SaltFiST
Thread Starter #7
I used white lithium grease and a hammer. Spray the grease on the actual hanger, and the part the hanger goes on. it slides on like no tomorrow, wipe off the grease with a rage, and bam. 10 minutes.
Awesome, thanks man.

koozy

3000 Post Club
w40 and my hands worked for me. they're certainly tougher to get on than the soft OE hangers, but doable with w40.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Shot is silicone grease in spray format, and muscled them on but that was on the Mountune CBE which have an arrow head type hanger bracket making it ultra easy.

Put some lithium grease I have for the bushing on my mustang on the hangers. Had 3 of them done in 30 min. Is there a reason Cobb doesn't provide 4? I did the farthest front one (because my downpipe doesn't have a support bracket anymore) the middle one and the farthest back but would really like to replace them all....

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Put some lithium grease I have for the bushing on my mustang on the hangers. Had 3 of them done in 30 min. Is there a reason Cobb doesn't provide 4? I did the farthest front one (because my downpipe doesn't have a support bracket anymore) the middle one and the farthest back but would really like to replace them all....
I left the one closest to the the DP the stock one. My though was the engine rocks and a softer hanger along with the flexible pipe in the DP will allow a little more movement instead of flexing somewhere else in the DP.

Anyone wanting 4 order the FoST kit. Its 4.

Just wondering what the specific benefits over stock are that the Cobb hangers bring to the table...I have an exhaust on the way but did not get the Cobb hangers. Wondering if it is a necessity....

Just wondering what the specific benefits over stock are that the Cobb hangers bring to the table...I have an exhaust on the way but did not get the Cobb hangers. Wondering if it is a necessity....
They're made of urethane so they don't flex. The stock hangers are like wet pancakes and allow the exhaust to shift and bang under hard driving.

DP03

Yea, this bothered me. Cobb is known for its quality products. To include 3 hangers on a car that uses 4 is stupid. I think it was an oversight on their part that they won't admit. I have almost all Cobb aftermarket stuff, but this was disappointing. I asked them for the 4th and they said sure, for $15.

Zissou

I left the one closest to the the DP the stock one. My though was the engine rocks and a softer hanger along with the flexible pipe in the DP will allow a little more movement instead of flexing somewhere else in the DP.

Anyone wanting 4 order the FoST kit. Its 4.
Can we use the twist in hanger on our cars? The Focus one has 3x 2 hole hangers and 1 twist in hanger. If we can then I'll probably go for that.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/exhaust/ford-focus-st-exhaust-hanger-kit

J2FoRS

My exhaust only has 3 hangars anyways. The front most one at the DP isn't even load bearing. So the Cobb 3 pack was perfect for me.

My exhaust only has 3 hangars anyways. The front most one at the DP isn't even load bearing. So the Cobb 3 pack was perfect for me.
If you have a downpioe that no longer mounts to the chassis like stock then it will be load bearing :)