Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tire pressure for new Falken Azenis?

Today is a happy day for the little FiST! I’m getting Koenig Dekagrams (16x8) with Falken Azenis 215/45/16.
This is my daily driver. I’m stock with the exception of Sprint Spec R springs.
Does anyone have advice about pressures? I figured this isn’t a rare setup :) I’m just looking for normal street pressures. No current plans to track or autocross it.
Thanks so much!
Mike

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Use the numbers located on the label on the inside of your driver door. Factory recommended pressure is advisable for street.

Mikey456

I think Falken 615ks are great. I assume the 660s great too in terms of grip. They just don’t last long. I run 34-35 psi all around because it offers me more comfort on the stock wheels. For me it’s trial and error. I would not go under 32psi. And check how evenly the tire wears and rotate them frequently depending on how you drive.

303mike,
Since your running a meatier tire (especially both in width and sidewall) you can drop the pressures and still have the same load capacity. Don't know how much, but certainly you should feel safe at or above 32psi, which I think is what the standard base Fiesta with 185/60 R 15 recommends. I run Falken 660s and with the stiff side wall I see even wear at 35psi but they get used for autocrosses.

35F/32R psi on the same setup here. Also recommend around -1.8 camber zero toe for normal street/canyon use.

Dialcaliper

Who told you this garbage?
I just did some digging and made a post on this very topic because I was very curious myself.

Basically it has nothing to do directly with rim size or tire size, but everything to do with the “load rating” of the tire. The OEM tires are an 84 XL (reinforced) load rating tire. If you change to a different size, or sometimes different load rating in the same size, or switch from an XL to an SL (standard load) or LL (light load) tire, then technically you should adjust tire pressures to match.

On the flip side, if you just so happen to change to a completely different size of rim and tire, and it just happens to still be rated 84 XL, proper tire pressure remains the same. That’s usually unlikely in matching diameter tires though, as load rating tends to vary based on aspect ratio and sidewall height.

Mostly it means that moving away from reinforced low profile rubber band tires that require higher pressures to a minus size standard tire means that tire pressures should be lower. You may of course run into annoyances with the TPMS, but Forscan can fix that.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/tire-load-ratings-and-inflation-pressures.29556/

I just did some digging and made a post on this very topic because I was very curious myself.

Basically it has nothing to do directly with rim size or tire size, but everything to do with the “load rating” of the tire. The OEM tires are an 84 XL (reinforced) load rating tire. If you change to a different size, or sometimes different load rating in the same size, or switch from an XL to an SL (standard load) or LL (light load) tire, then technically you should adjust tire pressures to match.

On the flip side, if you just so happen to change to a completely different size of rim and tire, and it just happens to still be rated 84 XL, proper tire pressure remains the same. That’s usually unlikely in matching diameter tires though, as load rating tends to vary based on aspect ratio and sidewall height.

Mostly it means that moving away from reinforced low profile rubber band tires that require higher pressures to a minus size standard tire means that tire pressures should be lower. You may of course run into annoyances with the TPMS, but Forscan can fix that.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/tire-load-ratings-and-inflation-pressures.29556/
this is what I was told as well. I went from XL rating (stock) to an SL rating on my DWS's

Weight of the vehicle/ desired handling characteristics is what determines pressure also from what I remember.
I thought that the important part was that the fronts were a higher PSI than the rears, not necessarily the PSI itself? IDK

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Keep your eyes open for flat spots! Had 2 on the front tyres with no emergency stops, no racing and just normal street and fwy driving. Falken blew me off and weren't in the slightest bit interested! No more Falkens on any car for me even if they were giving them away!

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I've probably burned through over a 100 Falkens with zero issues (rt615K, rt615k+ and rt660). Maybe I'm just lucky.

OP, if you want the car to rotate a little easier run more pressure (~2psi) in the rear than in the front. I think you will be happy with 34 all around if you are running the 615K+ or 660. 615K+ is much better for street use given it lasts a lot longer than the 660 and I find it to handle standing water better when the tread is near new. 615K also runs MUCH narrower (and lighter) in comparison to the same sized 660. Don't overthink it though. The door numbers work unless you have crazy suspension configs.