Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission whine

Hey guys, I am new here. Just picked up a new (to me) '14 FiSt. 22K miles. Has a slight whine underload in 5th and 6th gears.

I read some horror stories of people needing new trannies and other dealers saying no issues with the noise. I decided to see what my dealer says. They are usually real good about doing anything I ask. My focus needed new clutches in the DCT, they did that without pulling it apart, I just had taken it in for software updates and they made sure it was done right (TONS of people beg for new parts and get nothing but software). I took my truck in with brake issues and they diagnosed it for free and suggested I just do it myself to save the money. They are pretty good.

The service advisor took it for a spin, I let him drive it, he seemed excited as I don't think he had driven one yet. He noticed the whine, was not sure what to make of it. He said they had no other FiSts come in for this issue. A few with jacked up clutches, but thats it. He had nothing on the lot to compare it to. He said for now just drive it and enjoy it. He suggested maybe change the oil with a good oil, see if it quiets down at all. He did comment, after jumping on it in 2nd, "whoa this thing has torque steer like a b*tch."

Anyone else have the transmission whine and just living with it? It does not bother me, I am just slightly concerned, but I've seen other cars have gear whine that was normal. I'm going to switch to Motul DCTF and see what it does... it meets ford specs

Hmmmm? No whine other than tires from my FST. The trans is the slickest-shifting FWD transaxle I've experienced. I can FFS it in <0.3sec. It is pretty cool to hear it shift with no lag at all, just a tiny pop from the exhaust. I compare it to my 2011 Ducati 1198SP superbike it is so quick... You must be very quick on the clutch/shift though. It must be a purposeful "power-shift" to get the best results. I have the Fuel Cut rpm set to 7.5k and the FFS rpm set to 7k. If you aim for a shift @ ~6.5k it is a seem-less shift like a real DCT auto would do it. I'm impressed with the Ford ECU/Cobb tuning and the Getrag G-6 trans.

I can launch the car (nannies off for fun!) at 4k rpm FCLC, bang the 1-2 FFS shift @ ~6.8k, bang the 2-3 FFS shift at ~6.5k and leave a pair of continuous stripes with the two shift sections, lighting up the dark stripes for about 3-4 ft. It doesn't work more than once on the 2-3 shift though. The stock clutch isn't quite up to it. I have the Pumaspeed-supplied 6-puck clutch and flywheel on hand for the fix...

I've had it since day one and learned to live with it. Took it to the dealer and was told it was normal. This isn't an isolated complaint and I've seen others notice the same noise. Out of curiosity, does it occur after approx. 20 minutes of driving?

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #4
Wow a 7k flat foot shift.

Mine whine starts right away... Cold or hot.

Hey guys, I am new here. Just picked up a new (to me) '14 FiSt. 22K miles. Has a slight whine underload in 5th and 6th gears...

The service advisor took it for a spin, I let him drive it, he seemed excited as I don't think he had driven one yet. He noticed the whine, was not sure what to make of it...

Anyone else have the transmission whine and just living with it? It does not bother me, I am just slightly concerned, but I've seen other cars have gear whine that was normal. I'm going to switch to Motul DCTF and see what it does... it meets ford specs
I've had it since day one and learned to live with it. Took it to the dealer and was told it was normal. This isn't an isolated complaint and I've seen others notice the same noise. Out of curiosity, does it occur after approx. 20 minutes of driving?
...Mine whine starts right away... Cold or hot.
Mine just started to whine really bad today. Never did till now.
Hi guys,

If you decide to head to the dealer (or get a second opinion [boombots & doubletap]) please give me a heads up. :) I can check out some additional assistance; just send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan