Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TT ***S290*** thread :)

dhminer

2000 Post Club
So the CSS that Mountune has in their MRX long block does not sufficiently strengthen the system?

I have no firsthand experience with any long block upgrades. Genuinely curious. Many people on here have said in the past that a CSS is the way to go for max block strengthening
Absolutely the way to go, but you still need to reinforce the cylinders with Pumaspeed shims or ideally iron sleeves. It doesn't do anything to address the weak point in the block which is the little gap between cylinders. If you're sleeving the cylinders, CSS probably isn't needed unless you're trying to break the FiST power record.

OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #82
So the CSS that Mountune has in their MRX long block does not sufficiently strengthen the system?

I have no firsthand experience with any long block upgrades. Genuinely curious. Many people on here have said in the past that a CSS is the way to go for max block strengthening
I don't trust anything Mountune offers (at least engine wise because virtually all of them have failed), but a CSS would be a good start. Looking at their website, that should be a decent option, but you are spending way more money than needed.

OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #83
I know tune+ was trying out some stuff with the 1.5l ecoboost in the new escapes just based on his youtube channel. Any news on 1.5l swaps? I just got my s280 in and while I'm not looking for anything past 280whp (stuck on pump gas) I am preparing for the worst and looking for the best replacement parts in the meantime.
I think the 1.5L ecoboost idea has been scrapped.

slopoke

I know tune+ was trying out some stuff with the 1.5l ecoboost in the new escapes just based on his youtube channel. Any news on 1.5l swaps? I just got my s280 in and while I'm not looking for anything past 280whp (stuck on pump gas) I am preparing for the worst and looking for the best replacement parts in the meantime.
If you are going to stick to pump gas, I'd add some type of octane booster like Boostane or Torco. It'll help keep the detonation gremlins in their cage and add insurance to added longevity of your engine. Cheap insurance.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I spend a lot of time on long wide highways where I can punch it in 6th spinning at 3200rpm, or only downshift to 5th. S290 on 93 sounds pretty good to me. Still want to see where the torque comes in compared to the S280.

OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #91
I spend a lot of time on long wide highways where I can punch it in 6th spinning at 3200rpm, or only downshift to 5th. S290 on 93 sounds pretty good to me. Still want to see where the torque comes in compared to the S280.
If anything, I think the spool/torque curve will only be shifted a couple hundred RPM if that.

Some e30 s280 action vs 93oct s290 :) Cars are probably making similar power, the main difference is his car is full street trim plus a passenger so there is probably a 400lb difference between the two cars.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMcVgut30QE
My brother is scared that the S290 is lazy at lower boost for stock fueling.

How does it respond and pull compared to the S280, I'm guessing it pulls a bit harder up top, more honda like?

OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #94
Will you be putting the car on a dyno or posting some logs in vdyno?
I have a couple of vdyno logs already, I need to post them from my laptop when I get home. I'll do that this weekend. Once we get further down the road with some fueling mods I will definitely be putting it on a dyno.

OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #95
My brother is scared that the S290 is lazy at lower boost for stock fueling.

How does it respond and pull compared to the S280, I'm guessing it pulls a bit harder up top, more honda like?
It doesn't feel lazy at all. I think both turbos at the same power level are going to be pretty darn comparable. The s290 definitely doesn't fall off, that's for sure. It's hard to compare because I'm on a much lower power tune compared to my s280 days so it's virtually impossible to make a comparison currently.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
My previous experience with a slightly oversized turbo setup was that nothing happened below midrange and then it would start scrambling as boost came in and be hauling ass in the upper RPMs. Being in the “right” gear was crucial. What comes to mind is when you’re creeping in 2nd or 3rd gear waiting for an opening in traffic to merge in another lane, wrong gear and instead of merging smoothly, I would be the ass that forces the car behind me to slam their brakes even though I have my foot on the floor.

I would like to see a log from 2000RPM to see how the power ramps up. Sometimes it’s still comparable to stock even if it’s nowhere near peak power for that turbo. I like to see the power under the curve for comparison.

OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #99
I will get some logs that will show the spool abilities currently. It is hot and the tune is extremely conservative right now so it won't be showing the full potential.