Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

wetwea33

I apologize for any confusion it is partial acceleration when I lift, could be called flutter,... It is very noticeable.
Yeah this is normal, you could dial most of it out by adjusting ur bov settings.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Is it possible to run this kit without the re circulation? I have a VTA symposer BOV already and have 0 interest in going back to a stock style valve.

wetwea33

Is it possible to run this kit without the re circulation? I have a VTA symposer BOV already and have 0 interest in going back to a stock style valve.
Yes you can run any bov you want just like the stock turbo.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
But wouldnt you have the silicone hoses with the ports on them for the re-circ? how would that work? Just plug them?
The S280 has a Fiesta specific BOV flange - you can use any Fiesta BOV or a block off plate. If you use a block off plate, a symposer or cold side pipe BOV would be required

wetwea33

But wouldnt you have the silicone hoses with the ports on them for the re-circ? how would that work? Just plug them?
Yup block off plate just like the stock turbo. Setup is mimicking the stock turbo location.

Help me understand - why would a BOV affect on-throttle surge? Shouldn't the BOV be operating at a pressure that is above the max. desired boost? The ECU/Wastegate is controlling desired boost levels and the BOV is there to control surging when the throttle is closed and there's a potential over-boost condition, cause turbo flutter. Right?
This article explains compressor surge well. As I understand it now, boost pressure being released too low from the bov opening early, or not at all if it’s stuck, causes the airflow to become unattached from the compressor wheel.

https://gfb.com.au/tech/tech-articles/11-the-truth-about-compressor-surge/

Last edited:
So can someone explain to me what the gains and losses are between the S280 and the Whoosh Hybrid? Trying to decide between these two right now. These are both within my budget, and I'm not considering any others, but I want to make an informed decision. I'm also limited to 93 octane. Looking for better performance on a daily driver, driven mostly between 1500 ft and 5500 ft above sea level. Comments and observations appreciated!

wetwea33

So can someone explain to me what the gains and losses are between the S280 and the Whoosh Hybrid? Trying to decide between these two right now. These are both within my budget, and I'm not considering any others, but I want to make an informed decision. I'm also limited to 93 octane. Looking for better performance on a daily driver, driven mostly between 1500 ft and 5500 ft above sea level. Comments and observations appreciated!
The s280 will spill 3-500rpm later then the hybrid. The s280 will make 30-40hp more and will generate less heat.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So how much farther up will the powerband shift? I daily my car and take it to track days. Something I enjoy about the FiST is the down low. My friend has a vt330r and it doesn’t seem to have changed the powerband much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wetwea33

Full spool on 93 is around 3700. Makes peak torque at 4000. Identical to my cyborg on e50.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Full spool on 93 is around 3700. Makes peak torque at 4000. Identical to my cyborg on e50.

Seems like it’s a worthwhile turbo. I just wish more people had been testing them. I’m sort of doubtful of its track performance / longevity.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Seems like it’s a worthwhile turbo. I just wish more people had been testing them. I’m sort of doubtful of its track performance / longevity.

You have to pay to play my fellow FiSTer....going cheap in Turbos can go south pretty dam quick. I'm sure whatever you go with will be just Fine....just remember....If you think in the back of your mind that you may want to grow....Go BT.....Just a little food for Thought! I'm glad I Did...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You have to pay to play my fellow FiSTer....going cheap in Turbos can go south pretty dam quick. I'm sure whatever you go with will be just Fine....just remember....If you think in the back of your mind that you may want to grow....Go BT.....Just a little food for Thought! I'm glad I Did...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I mean 300 is just about where I'd want the car to be. I don't really want to deal with going 4port aux, and I don't have any intent for this to become a drag car. 300 on 93 is the goal. But like I said it needs to be able to stand up to the abuse of track days.

If I wanted to go cheap in turbos, I'd go turbobay... But no, I think its worth it to pay more for something like the S280