Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Love to hear more on this before I take my 2860 off and install s280
Honestly I would not be too worried. In manufacturing there is no such thing as 100% So there are bound to be a few problems . Overall though the s280 has a stellar record and a lot of people are running them. It has become somewhat of the go to Turbo for our cars at this point. Ron can not even keep the damn things in stock. Just inspect your Turbo before installing make sure everything is good.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Love to hear more on this before I take my 2860 off and install s280
Honestly I would not be too worried. In manufacturing there is no such thing as 100% So there are bound to be a few problems . Overall though the s280 has a stellar record and a lot of people are running them. It has become somewhat of the go to Turbo for our cars at this point. Ron can not even keep the damn things in stock. Just inspect your Turbo before installing make sure everything is good.
I'm gonna agree with Dpro, I don't believe this to be a common problem. I feel its more likely a combination of the tune being too aggressive and the car being a track car. It is very rarely not at WOT and doesn't live pull to pull, its basically 100% or nothing lol. My personal S280 had 0 issues and none of the cars local have had any failures at all.

Not quite sure how the failure occurred but we are sending the unit back to TT for inspection, the exhaust wheel appears to have come loose somehow and snapped the turbine shaft just before the oil seal on the exhaust housing. This caused a major oil leak into the exhaust, and obviously a severe lack of power. When the exhaust wheel came into contact with the exhaust housing it lodged part of it into itself with such force that it cracked the housing externally. Never seen anything like this before lol.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I'm gonna agree with Dpro, I don't believe this to be a common problem. I feel its more likely a combination of the tune being too aggressive and the car being a track car. It is very rarely not at WOT and doesn't live pull to pull, its basically 100% or nothing lol. My personal S280 had 0 issues and none of the cars local have had any failures at all.

Not quite sure how the failure occurred but we are sending the unit back to TT for inspection, the exhaust wheel appears to have come loose somehow and snapped the turbine shaft just before the oil seal on the exhaust housing. This caused a major oil leak into the exhaust, and obviously a severe lack of power. When the exhaust wheel came into contact with the exhaust housing it lodged part of it into itself with such force that it cracked the housing externally. Never seen anything like this before lol.
That’s wild. Probably just a freak thing. How much track use did it get before it hit the dust? I only track the car 2x a year so shouldn’t be too much stress

Huge thank you to @dhminer for putting these together! These are the last two logs I sent to my tuner. Anybody care to analyze these? I'm not very familiar with this stuff but these seem way off to me. bflan VDyno.jpg

slopoke

I do know that when I was getting above 300 WHP, I had to use 4th gear because of the tires breaking traction. I actually had to resort to dyno pulls because of that. 4th gear on the street was not something that I wanted to do.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Huge thank you to @dhminer for putting these together! These are the last two logs I sent to my tuner. Anybody care to analyze these? I'm not very familiar with this stuff but these seem way off to me. View attachment 42449
Those numbers are pretty crazy. Is your clutch slipping? Do you have fueling beyond stock? my highest numbers HP wise 310 and TQ wise was 340. I do not think you need to be disappointed lol.

Oh and ya I can nail it on a roll in third and spin tires and I know I am torturing my clutch.

Adam did not say anything about my pulls beyond the fact that basically I was at the limit of my fueling and needed injectors at least to tune it on E30 besides the basic E30 tune he gave me. I will probably wind up getting the injectors just to see 350 whp.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Who tuned it?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Those numbers are pretty crazy. Is your clutch slipping? Do you have fueling beyond stock? my highest numbers HP wise 310 and TQ wise was 340. I do not think you need to be disappointed lol.

Oh and ya I can nail it on a roll in third and spin tires and I know I am torturing my clutch.

Adam did not say anything about my pulls beyond the fact that basically I was at the limit of my fueling and needed injectors at least to tune it on E30 besides the basic E30 tune he gave me. I will probably wind up getting the injectors just to see 350 whp.
3rd gear WOT roll is why we all got this turbo though, no? Its my favorite part of the S280. Stock turbo compared to S280, it pulls like a freight train. Then gives you great mpg on HWY. Love it.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
That’s wild. Probably just a freak thing. How much track use did it get before it hit the dust? I only track the car 2x a year so shouldn’t be too much stress
Most likely, it only saw three track days and both of the ones before it the car had other issues (too small IC and slipping clutch).

Who tuned it?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I can PM you if you want, I'm not trying to start a war about whose fault it was lol

dhminer

2000 Post Club
why are you making the swap if I may ask, also will you be selling the 2860?
I don’t really have a good reason other than me being slightly ridiculous. I need to pull the turbo to adjust the IWG pre load and have had to pull it so many times to fix stuff the shop that installed it screwed up that l ordered the s280 in a moment of frustration. Almost ordered a WOR Xona total kit so figure I did ok making the wiser financial decision. TBH I’m not sure yet I’ll install the s280. If the 2860 spooled 500 rpm sooner it’d be absolutely perfect, which is what adjusting my IWG should yield. Whichever doesn’t go on I’ll be selling whether that’s a brand new s280 or a 2860 with ~500 miles on it

Is a slipping clutch fairly common with these? Mine will be going into a car with 50k miles. I can plan on upgrading the clutch if I need to but i was hoping to do it the same time i got a lsd which funds wise wont be for a minute

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Is a slipping clutch fairly common with these? Mine will be going into a car with 50k miles. I can plan on upgrading the clutch if I need to but i was hoping to do it the same time i got a lsd which funds wise wont be for a minute

Thats a question mark. Some claimed they ran the stock clutch with no issues at 380hp . Clutches are quite subjective. It really depends on treatment of it prior to install. One can beat on a stock clutch at stock HP and have it last a long time. Though start adding excessive amounts of TQ and it changes the picture. My original tuner claimed they were getting clutch slippage at high boost on the dyno. I have had a bit of slippage laying into it at higher boost but I also get tire spin. I have seen 340ft lbs of TQ which exceeds the ratings of the stock clutch so slippage is bound to happen. I also feel like my clutch has now seen bettter days. I am doing a diff soon so I will be upgrading the clutch it will be interesting to see what my stock one looks like.

Last edited:
Thats a question mark. Some claimed they ran the stock clutch with no issues at 380hp . Clutches are quite subjective. It really depends on treatment of it prior to install. One can beat on a stock clutch at stock HP and have it last a long time. Though start adding excessive amounts of TQ and it changes the picture. My original tuner claimed they were getting clutch slippage at high boost. I have had a bit of slippage laying into it at higher boost but I also get tire spin. I have seen 340ft lbs of TQ which exceeds the ratings of the stock clutch so slippage is bound to happen. I also feel like my clutch has now seen bettter days. I am doing a diff soon so I will be upgrading the clutch it will be interesting to see what my stock one looks like.
Appreciate the honest answer. I know heavily modifying our cars like this is always a risky game but i was fairly confident in had all the supporting mods done. Ill be running s 91 octane tune to start so fingers crossed

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Appreciate the honest answer. I know heavily modifying our cars like this is always a risky game but i was fairly confident in had all the supporting mods done. Ill be running s 91 octane tune to start so fingers crossed

I think on 91 and keeping boost around 26psi you should be good for awhile.

I don’t really have a good reason other than me being slightly ridiculous. I need to pull the turbo to adjust the IWG pre load and have had to pull it so many times to fix stuff the shop that installed it screwed up that l ordered the s280 in a moment of frustration. Almost ordered a WOR Xona total kit so figure I did ok making the wiser financial decision. TBH I’m not sure yet I’ll install the s280. If the 2860 spooled 500 rpm sooner it’d be absolutely perfect, which is what adjusting my IWG should yield. Whichever doesn’t go on I’ll be selling whether that’s a brand new s280 or a 2860 with ~500 miles on it
Thanks for the information; Ive seen the WOR kit, very exquisite.