Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Transformer Criticism Thread ...

This thread is meant for those who do not have a Turbo Transformer yet - what (if anything) would win you over? If you already have a TT, you are also welcome to chip in and make suggestions.

Whether you are tuned or stock, Turbo Transformer works as advertised and increases boost. I believe it is the best bang for buck (at least that is what I am working hard to create). And now the Bluetooth Boost Controller puts you in the driver's seat, allowing you to chose how much or how little boost you would like to add (or take away). There are plenty of reviews from customers on the product - here are a few.

Bluetooth Boost Controller review recently posted by Pete:
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...ost-Controller?p=120297&viewfull=1#post120297

Old Turbo Transformer Review on a Genesis Coupe:
http://www.gencoupe.com/3473865-post17.html

And a review on FocusST.org:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...o-transformer-tuning-device-5.html#post630666

I currently have a TT and waiting on the BT module for iOS. I would like to get more power on the upper end of the rev-range.

It never hurts to have more options out there, but this product is not for me and never will be. There is only one correct way to go about upping boost, and tricking the ECU is not the way to go. In my opinion there is no reason for a half-step in the right direction. However you do have an interesting product and I think it could be made to serve a real and useful purpose - I just don't believe this is it. In any case, keep up the good work!

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
I appreciate the input - I also understand your reasoning for not wanting to put this on your car. However, as manufacturers make it difficult/impossible to crack ECUs (meaning download non-factory software to them), there will be fewer options for upping boost. You can already see this with some of the newer BMW cars.

I appreciate the input - I also understand your reasoning for not wanting to put this on your car. However, as manufacturers make it difficult/impossible to crack ECUs (meaning download non-factory software to them), there will be fewer options for upping boost. You can already see this with some of the newer BMW cars.
It will never be "impossible" to decifer car ecu code for the right people with enough resources($) and desire. It is certainly supremely difficult-to-impossible for the average parts vendor lacking the people/resources. The effort must be well thought out and invision a complete product not a scab device. All the attempts at scab devices have been overtaken by companies with developed reflash hardware and software. There's a bit more to increasing performance than "upping boost". Just saying I think you're in a losing market. You can sell a few scab devices to the lower end crowd, but anyone with actual tuning knowledge/experience will not likely purchase other than to discredit or otherwise prove something to themselves. Not hipocritical, just realistic and experienced...

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Just doesn't seem safe compared to a pro tune with AP. I wouldn't even consider something like TT for my car, no matter how affordable. Reminds me of the eBay "superchip"

OP
T
Thread Starter #11
The unit plugs into to the boost (TIP) sensor and not the manifold pressure sensor. Therefore the ECU realizes the extra manifold pressure and therefore the timing and AFRs remain what Ford intended.

I realize turning up the boost is far from tuning but it is definitely the first step. I have never claimed that this a tuner - it is a simple boost chip ... period. I have also noticed that several of you are quite heavily modded - I will be the first to say that this product isn't for you.

Although if you don't want an all out pocket rocket and want something easily reversible; this is a pretty good option.

The unit plugs into to the boost (TIP) sensor and not the manifold pressure sensor. Therefore the ECU realizes the extra manifold pressure and therefore the timing and AFRs remain what Ford intended.

I realize turning up the boost is far from tuning but it is definitely the first step. I have never claimed that this a tuner - it is a simple boost chip ... period. I have also noticed that several of you are quite heavily modded - I will be the first to say that this product isn't for you.

Although if you don't want an all out pocket rocket and want something easily reversible; this is a pretty good option.
I understand I run the risk of voiding warranty, though I understand they have to PROVE an item caused failure. that's the only thing really holding me back. My buddy just picked up a used AccessPort the other day and it's great. Problem is I am a bit budgeted with my mortgage, car payments, etc. When you say heavily modded, what threshold are we talking?

I have a catback, induction hose (on the way), and green filter drop in. That's it for modifications involving the engine. The rest are suspension or cosmetic. I am very intrigued by this product and port of the reason is the ease of access to plug-n-play and remove when I take it in for service.

MY question really is... How easily can the ECU track this? With an accessport, Ford could see that i "accessed" the ecu, but that's it. I could say I plugged in an obd2 code reader to read a light that popped up and they'd be (probably) non the wiser.

If anything you could buy one of those $20 blutooth OBD2 sensors. Leave it in the car and claim you were just using it to track the car. I got a couple a while back and it's a cool little thing. I got it before I got my AP.
As for modifications I think he may have meant the guys that are further than a stage 3 cobb tune. Like intake, turbo, exhaust, etc. You seem to have a lightly modified setup similar to what I have. I juts went a little farther with the intake and will soon slap the DHM intercooler to the list.