Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbosmart 50/50 BOV Flutter

So, I got a decent deal on a 50/50 BOV from turbosmart. I've been debating getting one for a while to get away from the electric solenoid DV for reliability's sake. Anyway, got it installed and it seems like the spring is too stiff. Even under full boost, I still would get turbo flutter when I let off the throttle. So, I got back under the car and adjusted the valve to the softest setting. It's better and I can hear more of a *pssshhh* sound now but still get a decent amount flutter.

I do live at altitude, roughly 4500ft, but shouldn't that mean I'd need more spring pressure to keep the pressure differential under control? Or is this just normal operation? Don't wanna roast my turbo with compressor surge.

My Turbo Flutter Video

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
So, I got a decent deal on a 50/50 BOV from turbosmart. I've been debating getting one for a while to get away from the electric solenoid DV for reliability's sake. Anyway, got it installed and it seems like the spring is too stiff. Even under full boost, I still would get turbo flutter when I let off the throttle. So, I got back under the car and adjusted the valve to the softest setting. It's better and I can hear more of a *pssshhh* sound now but still get a decent amount flutter.

I do live at altitude, roughly 4500ft, but shouldn't that mean I'd need more spring pressure to keep the pressure differential under control? Or is this just normal operation? Don't wanna roast my turbo with compressor surge.

My Turbo Flutter Video
Which turbosmart is it, is this one that goes in the place of the stock DV and plugs into the same pigtail? I got a similar sound when the plug was in backwards, preventing the valve from actually opening.

OP
diamond_rake
Thread Starter #3
Which turbosmart is it, is this one that goes in the place of the stock DV and plugs into the same pigtail? I got a similar sound when the plug was in backwards, preventing the valve from actually opening.
No, mine runs on vacuum from the map tap

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I didn't really hear any flutter that would concern me like the (sorta like stututututu) but there is some background noise as I'm listening so maybe I missed it.

that high pitched chirpy kinda sound is what the 50/50 gives off under load. The flutter that comes from back pressure on the turbine would more repeating "tu-tu's"

Yours: STU....
Flutter: STU-TU-tu-tu-tu

Will listen again in a room without so much ambient noise.

*ok I did hear a little bit of it but it seemed pretty miniscule.

Last edited:
OP
diamond_rake
Thread Starter #5
I didn't really hear any flutter that would concern me like the (sorta like stututututu) but there is some background noise as I'm listening so maybe I missed it.

that high pitched chirpy kinda sound is what the 50/50 gives off under load. The flutter that comes from back pressure on the turbine would more repeating "tu-tu's"

Okay, I think it's running normally then. I just wanted to be sure. Perhaps I should get another one that more suits the sound I'm looking for. I just would prefer something not so high pitched. Bigger turbo I guess.