Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TurboSmartTurbo Flutter

I have a Turbosmart EM BOV Plumb Back VR2 installed and i'm hearing a lot of stu stu stu turbo flutter on shifts.
S280 at 30psig max. Any ideas?
Is it supposed to sound like this because it's not vent to atmosphere?
It's clocked correctly afaik.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
To my knowledge, that typically means it's not venting fast enough, which I think would be odd here. From the website. Maybe take a log and send it to your tuner and make sure everything looks good.

• Due to its construction, your EM series may be much more audible than the OEM valve
  • During normal operation you may now be able to hear the valve open for a few seconds under the following events: traction control, cruise control management, rapid gear changes and varying throttle position changes. This is standard operation of your diverter valve and is coded as part of the torque management software in the OEM engine control unit; there is no adjustment available over these functions on the Turbosmart EM valve directly. It is normal for a diverter valve to be “very active” as it protects your turbocharger from surge events as well as bypassing air for torque management purposes.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #3
To my knowledge, that typically means it's not venting fast enough, which I think would be odd here. From the website. Maybe take a log and send it to your tuner and make sure everything looks good.

• Due to its construction, your EM series may be much more audible than the OEM valve
  • During normal operation you may now be able to hear the valve open for a few seconds under the following events: traction control, cruise control management, rapid gear changes and varying throttle position changes. This is standard operation of your diverter valve and is coded as part of the torque management software in the OEM engine control unit; there is no adjustment available over these functions on the Turbosmart EM valve directly. It is normal for a diverter valve to be “very active” as it protects your turbocharger from surge events as well as bypassing air for torque management purposes.
Thank you for the reply!
My problem is that instead of one release of air or a whoosh sound, I got multiples which is kind of what compressor surge has been described to me as sounding like but because it's a plumb back maybe this is normal? I don't know how to tell the difference.
Does it matter that the Em series is designed for the stock turbo and I have an s280 now?
Wondering if I should just switch BOVs.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thank you for the reply!
My problem is that instead of one release of air or a whoosh sound, I got multiples which is kind of what compressor surge has been described to me as sounding like but because it's a plumb back maybe this is normal? I don't know how to tell the difference.
Does it matter that the Em series is designed for the stock turbo and I have an s280 now?
Wondering if I should just switch BOVs.
I wouldn't think so. Typically anything aftermarket is going to be more robust than the stock bypass valve but again, it would be worth talking to your tuner.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
That's normal, it just has more resistance than the stock diverter. If you give it any significant boost it should do the darth vader thing as expected, but at low boost/low vacuum it's normal to do anything from the woo woo woo to a turkey gobble

now there is a string of words I did not expect to type

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #8
That's normal, it just has more resistance than the stock diverter. If you give it any significant boost it should do the darth vader thing as expected, but at low boost/low vacuum it's normal to do anything from the woo woo woo to a turkey gobble

now there is a string of words I did not expect to type
Laughed out loud. Thank you