Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Update - Flywheel *finally* came back in stock 3 weeks later

Like so many of us, I had the dreaded clutch pedal failing to return to position issue. I took my 2014 (59k, no mods) to the dealer for repair, and then discovered when they said that my master cylinder has failed and they suspect damage to the clutch/flywheel that they could not get an OEM flywheel. That's when I posted that the OEM dual mass flywheel was out of stock nationwide, and that the dealer wanted to put in a lightweight flywheel telling me it was an in kind replacement. I declined their offer to prematurely destroy my stock clutch and started a waiting game. I also ordered a used flywheel online and now have a "spare" if anything ever happens again.

So, $2800 later I have a new slave cylinder, master cylinder, flywheel, clutch assembly, and related tubing... and the clutch feels SOOO much better. I bought my FiST used with 29,000 miles on it and it always had a heavy, pretty grabby clutch feel. It has also been the only FiST I have ever driven. Now the clutch feels a lot more linear, has progressive engagement (instead of just immediate bite), and seems a lot more forgiving (in truth it feels closer to the clutch actuation and engagement of the only brand new manual vehicle I have ever purchased). And I finally have my car back.

Magnetic

Like so many of us, I had the dreaded clutch pedal failing to return to position issue. I took my 2014 (59k, no mods) to the dealer for repair, and then discovered when they said that my master cylinder has failed and they suspect damage to the clutch/flywheel that they could not get an OEM flywheel. That's when I posted that the OEM dual mass flywheel was out of stock nationwide, and that the dealer wanted to put in a lightweight flywheel telling me it was an in kind replacement. I declined their offer to prematurely destroy my stock clutch and started a waiting game. I also ordered a used flywheel online and now have a "spare" if anything ever happens again.

So, $2800 later I have a new slave cylinder, master cylinder, flywheel, clutch assembly, and related tubing... and the clutch feels SOOO much better. I bought my FiST used with 29,000 miles on it and it always had a heavy, pretty grabby clutch feel. It has also been the only FiST I have ever driven. Now the clutch feels a lot more linear, has progressive engagement (instead of just immediate bite), and seems a lot more forgiving (in truth it feels closer to the clutch actuation and engagement of the only brand new manual vehicle I have ever purchased). And I finally have my car back.
I believe that there are some cars that drive off the manufacturing line simply well put together by the chaos theory. I had one of those FiST's (until a money shift by a GF) but they do exist. My car has almost 80K and the only thing that has failed me is the expansion tank. (it's been replaced and the cooling system upgraded) Stock clutch still but looking to replace with the uprated clutch option.

Your's could've been owned by a young kid (noob) to manuals. The main reason I bought my car NEW is because everyone that buys them drives them like their a race car and I didnt want their abuse on my car. That's the risk of buying a used ST. No matter what the listing say's it'll have always been abused. (I've seen people I know butter up the listing description on their cars) Word's of wisdom: Always buy new when rocket boy kids love a car.

OP
gamecat235
Thread Starter #3
The main reason I bought my car NEW is because everyone that buys them drives them like their a race car and I didnt want their abuse on my car. That's the risk of buying a used ST. No matter what the listing say's it'll have always been abused. (I've seen people I know butter up the listing description on their cars) Word's of wisdom: Always buy new when rocket boy kids love a car.
Agreed, back in 2017 when I bought mine it was the only FiST I could find without leaving the state, and I needed a car then. You live and learn. (I test drove a LOT of cars to find what I wanted for a couple of weeks while living with just one vehicle, and when I finally test drove a FiST, I knew I wanted it, and couldn't find one or wait the month or two for more to appear on the lots new...).

Magnetic

Agreed, back in 2017 when I bought mine it was the only FiST I could find without leaving the state, and I needed a car then. You live and learn. (I test drove a LOT of cars to find what I wanted for a couple of weeks while living with just one vehicle, and when I finally test drove a FiST, I knew I wanted it, and couldn't find one or wait the month or two for more to appear on the lots new...).
True story:

I never took the FiST I drove on a test drive. I researched the car for 1 year and when I finally found the one with the options I wanted, I pulled up and told the dealer I have 1.5 hours to get to work and said if you can get me outta here in that time I'll buy it. And since I have a FiST, you know what happened.

When you know, you know!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe that there are some cars that drive off the manufacturing line simply well put together by the chaos theory. I had one of those FiST's (until a money shift by a GF) but they do exist. My car has almost 80K and the only thing that has failed me is the expansion tank. (it's been replaced and the cooling system upgraded) Stock clutch still but looking to replace with the uprated clutch option.

Your's could've been owned by a young kid (noob) to manuals. The main reason I bought my car NEW is because everyone that buys them drives them like their a race car and I didnt want their abuse on my car. That's the risk of buying a used ST. No matter what the listing say's it'll have always been abused. (I've seen people I know butter up the listing description on their cars) Word's of wisdom: Always buy new when rocket boy kids love a car.
In my case, it also did not cost me all that much more, over the long term, to buy new due to Ford's $0 down, 0% interest over any term financing offer, vs. having to pay up to 6% interest on a used FiST.

Of course the added benefits of what you bring up, as well as having the full warranty without having to buy any additional one weighed into the decision as well.

Nowadays, sadly. those wanting this car do not have those choices anymore. [:(]