Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Upgraded turbochargers on full stock motor.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Has anybody tried this? I'm talking all stock hard parts except anything that absolutely needs to be modified to swap in an aftermarket turbo (coolant hoses or additional couplers etc). So really, turbo, and a tuner, maaaaaybe stock colder plugs. I'm seriously considering going this route if there's substantial HP gains to be made over E30/stock turbo. Most people have already performed supporting mods to get the most out of their turbo upgrades.

I've gone down the FBO mod path on another platform and figure I can cut out a lot of expense, wrenching, and logging time on the FiST since it seems to be the turbo that's the greatest restriction for power. I'm looking at the ST280 or whoosh turbo.

wetwea33

Your gonna need am intercooler if you don't want to heat soak and I would probably loose the stock cat as ur gets egts will go way up, but you could probably get away with it. Other then that nothing else is needed. I would spend the extra money on aux fuel. Aux fuel + s280 is a killer setup.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Yikes. Didn't realize these were open decks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

wetwea33

It seems the deck isn't all that strong in these engines. My verdict make sure to keep it cool and hope the deck doesn't warp, making the cylinder liners crack on you.
I'm going this route on my new engine: http://pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Pumaspeed-Fiesta-ST-Block-Mod-Kit_17396.jsp

Yes mine was destroyed after going X47R and not on ethanol.
This is the most reliable EB motor by far. Plenty of people drive around at 350whp+ daily just fine with varying milages. tuning with any platform is a risk. If you blew your motor on pump gas on a hybrid it just means something prematurely failed. I have put 10K miles of pure beating between my c39 and s280 on aux and ethanol.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
This is the most reliable EB motor by far. Plenty of people drive around at 350whp+ daily just fine with varying milages. tuning with any platform is a risk. If you blew your motor on pump gas on a hybrid it just means something prematurely failed. I have put 10K miles of pure beating between my c39 and s280 on aux and ethanol.
I think he was running an OTS tune as well. I don't trust OTS tunes personally.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
First of all yes, FBO on a FiST with a stock turbo is almost pointless, all you need is an intercooler and e30 tune and you are maxed out. A hybrid will fill in the missing HP gap, you can get tons of torque from a stock turbo on e30, but a hybrid even with stock fuel will get you ~75HP over a stock turbo that pulls all the way to 7000RPM+ vs petering out at 5500RPM... and yes, this is easily the most stout Ecoboost engine made, it can easily handle 350whp completely stock as long as you have the turbo and fueling to get there... so with a hybrid, either ~300whp on e30 with stock fuel or another ~35 more HP if you add aux and both completely safe with a 100% stock engine. It's only pushing towards 400whp+ with a big turbo upgrade you need to even consider any engine mods at all.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
I spoke to my tuner and he recommended the S280 over the X47 because it'll make more power with less boost/less heat but he wouldn't say what he'd expect the results to be since most people are already FBO by the time they upgrade the turbo.

I am second guessing my initial intent because I'd hate to swap out the manifold/turboback after the fact, and the least restriction there the better. Intake side can be done whenever without much fuss.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I spoke to my tuner and he recommended the S280 over the X47 because it'll make more power with less boost/less heat but he wouldn't say what he'd expect the results to be since most people are already FBO by the time they upgrade the turbo.

I am second guessing my initial intent because I'd hate to swap out the manifold/turboback after the fact, and the least restriction there the better. Intake side can be done whenever without much fuss.
It's true that hybrid upgrades make a little more heat, but just a step up in intercooler from a V1/Depo to a Whoosh V3 for only $100 more is easily enough to handle it while being more directly plug and play without manifold upgrades needed although you might want to get the ported OEM manifold for not a whole lot... Just something to consider!

Se7eN

Has anybody tried this? I'm talking all stock hard parts except anything that absolutely needs to be modified to swap in an aftermarket turbo (coolant hoses or additional couplers etc). So really, turbo, and a tuner, maaaaaybe stock colder plugs. I'm seriously considering going this route if there's substantial HP gains to be made over E30/stock turbo. Most people have already performed supporting mods to get the most out of their turbo upgrades.

I've gone down the FBO mod path on another platform and figure I can cut out a lot of expense, wrenching, and logging time on the FiST since it seems to be the turbo that's the greatest restriction for power. I'm looking at the ST280 or whoosh turbo.
I mean, you can do that with stock DP and everything else. Will probably not see the same type of gains other people have. Also you will definitely need an IC at the very least. Still don't see why you couldn't run lets day a Whoosh Hybrid and everything else stock.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I mean, you can do that with stock DP and everything else. Will probably not see the same type of gains other people have. Also you will definitely need an IC at the very least. Still don't see why you couldn't run lets day a Whoosh Hybrid and everything else stock.
I think someone up above said it best, you can totally run a stock exhaust with a hybrid and not lose much power at all, Dizzy showed only a 3hp/7tq difference in running stock exhaust over catless DP with a hybrid on e30, but EGT may get pretty high, especially if racing in the summer. That can lead to higher overall coolant and oil temps and possibly slightly lower reliability. A high flow catted DP would be the way to go to stay relatively clean and with 2/3 less number of catalyst cells to generate excess heat.

all the data on these cars is overwhelming and simple to understand. you need an intercooler even stock. then you run out of turbo and fuel pretty quickly. there are people who get this, and people in denial.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
all the data on these cars is overwhelming and simple to understand. you need an intercooler even stock. then you run out of turbo and fuel pretty quickly. there are people who get this, and people in denial.
If you want more than 1-2 pulls at a time before allowing some cool down time, then yeah, you need an intercooler even stock. I ran e30 with a stock intercooler for a year and had zero issues making tons of power, it's just that the hotter it gets outside, the sooner it would heatsoak, usually would take 3 full pulls in a row when it hit 100 degrees out. If you just watch your charge temps, you can allow it to cool down for a minute or so between pulls and get the charge temps back close to/~10 degrees above ambient and you can make another pull.... So yeah, it's definitely simpler to just upgrade the IC, but also pretty easy to work around it if you aren't racing... But stock fuel is definitely good up to ~300whp, so a hybrid upgrade is a perfect match if you don't want to add aux fuel either.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
This thread is pretty interesting. I've been wanting to get a hybrid turbo but the extra $300 or so for a catted DP really makes that more difficult. Nice to hear I can just leave the stock dp in.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
This thread is pretty interesting. I've been wanting to get a hybrid turbo but the extra $300 or so for a catted DP really makes that more difficult. Nice to hear I can just leave the stock dp in.
Absolutely, just keep in mind if racing continuously in the dead summer heat that you will get some very high EGT's... Now if all you do is a pull or two at a time anyway, then it won't ever really be an issue. What sucks more is the radiator though, I can still hit 200 degree coolant temp from just a couple of pulls even when 40 degrees out and with an intercooler upgrade on a stock turbo. Some people don't have this issue as bad as others, but since it's not actually overheating while on the stock tune I can't get anything done about under warranty, I'd have to upgrade my radiator!

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Absolutely, just keep in mind if racing continuously in the dead summer heat that you will get some very high EGT's... Now if all you do is a pull or two at a time anyway, then it won't ever really be an issue. What sucks more is the radiator though, I can still hit 200 degree coolant temp from just a couple of pulls even when 40 degrees out and with an intercooler upgrade on a stock turbo. Some people don't have this issue as bad as others, but since it's not actually overheating while on the stock tune I can't get anything done about under warranty, I'd have to upgrade my radiator!
So far, my car has only really ever seen the street (and the drag strip once but was only stock) so I should be good. I imagine there's a monitor for the EGTs on the Accessport? Any other mods you think I should look into before I make the switch? I was thinking about finishing up the induction pieces (turbo inlet, cross-over pipe, and induction hose) but I'd rather not have to spend that much cause it all adds up fast. Maybe some better boost hoses too? And what PSI should I go for, for the wastegate? I don't really know what difference they make.

Se7eN

So far, my car has only really ever seen the street (and the drag strip once but was only stock) so I should be good. I imagine there's a monitor for the EGTs on the Accessport? Any other mods you think I should look into before I make the switch? I was thinking about finishing up the induction pieces (turbo inlet, cross-over pipe, and induction hose) but I'd rather not have to spend that much cause it all adds up fast. Maybe some better boost hoses too? And what PSI should I go for, for the wastegate? I don't really know what difference they make.
WG helps maintain boost levels and not spike up too much. 11-14psi which ever