Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

V-MAXX 290mm Big Brake Kit for 15" Wheels

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #21
How did these preform at the track?

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
Excellent! These brakes handled everything I threw at it with no fade and no heat issues. I ran the Ferodo DS1.11 pads and I also have CMBuildz brake cooling ducts. Motul 600 brake fluid.

This is by far one of the best track upgrades I've purchased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
This is the only kit that I know of that will fit under the 15x8 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s out of the box with no wheel spacers required.

I don't have stock wheels to test fit but there is a template you can print out on the V-MAXX Autosport website when you look up the kit. You can use that with your wheels to make sure the calipers will clear. That's what I did so I wouldn't be taking a chance on them possibly not fitting under my wheels. I would highly recommend using it!

https://www.v-maxx.com/en/products/big-brake-kits/712855

You can purchase directly from V-MAXX or from Jamsport (UK website). I purchased mine from Jamsport. It will cost you around $1400 shipped.

we just signed up with VMAXX
I have a few kits already on the way from the UK
Our price is a little better @ $1330 shipped with your forum discount

Excellent! These brakes handled everything I threw at it with no fade and no heat issues. I ran the Ferodo DS1.11 pads and I also have CMBuildz brake cooling ducts. Motul 600 brake fluid.

This is by far one of the best track upgrades I've purchased!

After reading this, I bought this kit from Ron and had it installed earlier this month. After Ron being a boss and getting me a missing piece in just a few days (from the Netherlands!), I beat the absolute snot out of these on track with Carbotech XP12 pads installed. And I agree, this is one of the best track upgrades I've made (the other is the suspension and I should make a thread about that). I had no fade and fairly even wear all the way down to the backing plates on those pads. I think flipping the pads would even it out even if it won't get me 3 days out of a set of pads.

I'm currently trying to source replacement parts because I'd rather have those on hand when I need them than try and have parts run the gauntlet of two customs agencies and an ocean in a timely manner.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #24
I'm currently trying to source replacement parts because I'd rather have those on hand when I need them than try and have parts run the gauntlet of two customs agencies and an ocean in a timely manner.
Let us know what you find. I was planning to order straight from V-MAXX when the time comes to get replacement rotors and maybe a caliper rebuild kit. I probably won't need to order anything until next Spring so it would be good to know what the options are.

I might have to try those Carbotech XP12s. Where did you buy your pads? Can you share the link?

Let us know what you find. I was planning to order straight from V-MAXX when the time comes to get replacement rotors and maybe a caliper rebuild kit. I probably won't need to order anything until next Spring so it would be good to know what the options are.

I might have to try those Carbotech XP12s. Where did you buy your pads? Can you share the link?

I tried ordering directly from V-Maxx's website; Visa blocked it and sent me a fraud warning. I could have approved it and tried again, but A) I would rather give Ron the business and B) V-Maxx website isn't very good (for the English translated parts at least).

I've been getting my brake pads from KNS Brakes for over a year now (so, something like 6 sets of pads at this point).
This is the Fiesta ST page and this is the page for the V-Maxx calipers.
I'm going to test G-LOC R14s after this next set of 12s to see if they last longer on track, but I expect the 14s will be even louder and dustier. Both Carbotech and G-LOC are pretty good on rotors.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #26
I tried ordering directly from V-Maxx's website; Visa blocked it and sent me a fraud warning. I could have approved it and tried again, but A) I would rather give Ron the business and B) V-Maxx website isn't very good (for the English translated parts at least).
Bummer! Another option is get in touch with Ben from Jamsport-UK. Jamsport-UK is who I ordered my V-MAXX kit from and I asked him about track pads. He went ahead and recommended the DS1.11 because that's what he runs on track. He posted the pads to their website within a day or two and also gave me the pad info. I'd be willing to bet he could source the replacement 290mm rotor kit and caliper rebuild kit and offer it online as well. Just another option. I might reach out to him in the next few days and see what he says.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
After reading this, I bought this kit from Ron and had it installed earlier this month. After Ron being a boss and getting me a missing piece in just a few days (from the Netherlands!), I beat the absolute snot out of these on track with Carbotech XP12 pads installed. And I agree, this is one of the best track upgrades I've made (the other is the suspension and I should make a thread about that). I had no fade and fairly even wear all the way down to the backing plates on those pads. I think flipping the pads would even it out even if it won't get me 3 days out of a set of pads.

I'll have a quote with shipping tonight for you
Since you've purchased the kit from us I'll gladly pass along my costs to ship the replacement parts to you

thanks again for the order

-Ron

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #28
I'll have a quote with shipping tonight for you
Since you've purchased the kit from us I'll gladly pass along my costs to ship the replacement parts to you

thanks again for the order

-Ron
That awesome customer service! [emoji1303]

It'd be great if you can get the replacement rotor kits and caliper rebuilds on the Whoosh website in the future. I'll definitely need to purchase these as well at some point.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #30
Are you still liking these brakes? Noticeable improvement over stock?
Definitely liking these brakes! It's a huge improvement over stock, especially since they can dissipate the heat faster which was one of my main issues with the OEM calipers on track.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Definitely liking these brakes! It's a huge improvement over stock, especially since they can dissipate the heat faster which was one of my main issues with the OEM calipers on track.

Alright cool, I’m gonna print the template out and see if they will clear my method 15x7’s

Now that I have the 4-port installed, I definitely need moar brakes.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Cool brake kit, not familiar with the manf but sure hope it does all you need:) I would of loved to buy and off the shelf kit when I built my car in 2014, had to design my own to fit under the 15x9 wheels I wanted to run, 298mm rotors, a very very tight fit.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #36
Still happy with these @VirtualRonin @Questionable ? How much do the replacement rotors cost? I assume they have dust seals as well for those who daily drive these..
Yeah, these brakes are still working great! I abused the hell out of them on a couple track days last summer. The last track day was the most punishing because I was much faster on track having just tuned my aux fuel setup. When I swapped my track day pads back to may daily pads my track pads were worn into a wedge/uneven wear and I noticed some paint had bubbles around one of the pistons. I guess that's the trade off/price for going faster. No leaks though and I left the dust seals in but I'm sure they're trashed by now. Still daily driving on them but I'm planning to rebuild them in the spring and install fresh rotors and pads all around. No idea on the actual cost for replacement parts but I estimate $400 for the rotors, $100 for the caliper rebuild/refresh kit, and $250 for replacement DD pads.

In retrospect, given that my turbo upgrade and aux fuel setup allows me to run more aggressive/faster on track I feel I need even bigger brakes and thus bigger wheel to accommodate them. I am very reluctant to get rid of my 15x8 TDs though so I have no plans to change my setup right now.

Still happy with these @VirtualRonin @Questionable ? How much do the replacement rotors cost? I assume they have dust seals as well for those who daily drive these..
I'm also still happy with these. I haven't had them fade on me. I thought I boiled the fluid once, but that was the brake pedal switch (again).

I might need to rebuild the calipers, but I'm having weird brake pad wear and that may be the cause (the pads are extremely tapered). I'm overdriving the brakes, and I need to dial in my pad compounds after switching manufacturers and compounds. I'll report back after I get my car back to the shop and new pads. But despite the apparent leak the brakes still feel absolutely fine.

I got replacement rotors and caliper rebuild kit through Ron/Whoosh and it was a little over $500 for both. It's steep, but I haven't needed to change the front rotors yet, so I'm getting at least twice the life I was with stock rotors.

... When I swapped my track day pads back to may daily pads my track pads were worn into a wedge/uneven wear and I noticed some paint had bubbles around one of the pistons. I guess that's the trade off/price for going faster. No leaks though and I left the dust seals in but I'm sure they're trashed by now. ...
Okay, my tapered pad wear isn't just me. Are your pads tapered top to bottom or left to right? I.E. is your thin end of the wedge at the top of the caliper or the leading edge?

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #39
Okay, my tapered pad wear isn't just me. Are your pads tapered top to bottom or left to right? I.E. is your thin end of the wedge at the top of the caliper or the leading edge?
You know, I don't recall at the moment. I might still have the pads in the garage so I'll check in the next day or two and let you know. They felt fine on track, I had no idea it happened until the day after my track day when I swapped pads. It's not happening to my daily driver brake pads.

I also want to mention I ran my track pads at 2 separate track day events prior to them getting the uneven wear on the 3rd track day. The 3rd track day I had my aux fuel dialed in and I was much faster everywhere on the track. First two track days I was hitting 120 on the straights, 3rd track day I was hitting close to 140 so I was definitely much harder on the brakes that day.

I'm purely guessing here but maybe I cooked the fluid a bit (Motul 600) on that last track day and a gas pocket worked its way to the top of the caliper near the top piston and wouldn't allow it to extend fully under pressure (gases compressing instead of the fluid pushing the piston out during braking). If so I may need to start bleeding my brakes at the track, maybe after a couple of the 25 min sessions. A full day is usually 4-5 sessions. Typically I'll bleed them the day before and the day after a track day. Maybe I should get some heat indicator strips as well so I know if I overheated the calipers/brake fluid and need to bleed them.

Last edited:
I do 2-day events, and pads need to be replaced after each event. But talking to the guys at the shop, we suspect I'm just over-taxing the fronts. They suggested I try stepping up the rear compounds to something more aggressive than the fronts (as opposed to my current setup of matched compounds), and I'll be trying that in late February. And I'll be flipping the pads after the first day.

I put temperate stickers on my calipers for my event in December, and both stickers read almost 500°F. That's not quite the wet boiling point of Castrol SRF (what I use), so I think it's just overwhelming the pads and the ABS biasing isn't keeping up.

Yes, I have ducting, and yes I'm very hard on my brakes. I'll definitely post after testing the new compounds.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk