Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

V_2's ST, the Sequel

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #121
That's... not as pricey as I would expect, honestly. I hope the body shop does good work for you. Red/orange is one of the most excruciatingly difficult paint colors to match, and that is before you even get into metallics and triple-coat jobs. I've known body shops to actually turn down work based on the color/paint type because they believed they could not match the colors to a satisfactory level. Did they discuss blending into the hood and fenders? If not, I would be suspect of the level of detail they're going to put into this.
I asked about their plans to match/blend the paint and their process is to compare the factory specs with what they read off a spectrophotometer, mix and spray a test, then compare to the existing paint and adjust as needed, matching as close as possible.

Good enough for me since my bumper paint doesn't match 100% from the factory if you look close enough.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #122
For sure, I let the dude know that I wasn't after 100% perfection since that is impossible. I told him to be as technical as possible when he explained their process, as I mostly understand the jargon and hearing that they use a spectrophotometer eased my concerns a bit. I certainly don't envy the tech that has to match this paint with it being 1) Orange 2) plastic substrate (they are using flex additive, to boot) 3) tricoat.

I painted a black car and a red car. I'll never paint another red car, lol.

And I just heard back from the insurance rep, it seems like they are going to cover the splitter.

For sure, I let the dude know that I wasn't after 100% perfection since that is impossible. I told him to be as technical as possible when he explained their process, as I mostly understand the jargon and hearing that they use a spectrophotometer eased my concerns a bit. I certainly don't envy the tech that has to match this paint with it being 1) Orange 2) plastic substrate (they are using flex additive, to boot) 3) tricoat.

I painted a black car and a red car. I'll never paint another red car, lol.

And I just heard back from the insurance rep, it seems like they are going to cover the splitter.
Thats awesome! Did you have to add that to your insurance as an option?

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #124
Thats awesome! Did you have to add that to your insurance as an option?
Nope...my guess is the expense is so minimal compared to the rest of the repair and it is being considered a comprehensive claim instead of a collision claim. I'm not getting my hopes up until the check is actually written, though.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #125
Got my car back a few days ago minus front splitter and I guess they did *okay* matching the front bumper considering all the variables going into the job.

It's not bad enough that I'm going to ask them to repaint, as the next attempt could just end up looking worse.

I'm hoping to have the splitter in hand by the end of next week. Just depends if TRC has already shipped it out and the parcel doesn't get Brexit'd.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Got my car back a few days ago minus front splitter and I guess they did *okay* matching the front bumper considering all the variables going into the job.

It's not bad enough that I'm going to ask them to repaint, as the next attempt could just end up looking worse.

I'm hoping to have the splitter in hand by the end of next week. Just depends if TRC has already shipped it out and the parcel doesn't get Brexit'd.
Don't worry, us guys who have the pearl paint options from Ford have it rough with re-paint.

But to reassure you, my Platinum Tri-coat pearl is the same way from factory, but its only noticeable if you stare at it for a while, lighting also has its effects to where it gives the illusion that its mismatched when its in fact not. Plus plastic/metal surfaces will be slightly different shades.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #129
All hooked up! I plan to clean up the wires a little bit and it looks like I'll be sticking the controller to the outside of the battery tray since my HID ballast and relays are already using the top of the fuse box.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #130
I am in the process of hunting down a boost leak. Or at least what I assume is a boost leak... In the process of tuning AUX fuel and boost peaks at 24.6psi with WGDC and timing pretty much maxed out, on E50, mid 60's ambient temp. That just doesn't seem right. I've noticed a couple of times when dropping into passing gear that boost with briefly hit ~26psi but I'm not logging at the time.

However, I just can't figure out how to pressurize the charging system to do a leak test. I've been capping off the intake crossover pipe with my leak tester, but my BOV will just release if I seal the TB end of the coldside charge pipe since it's vacuum line is routed to the intake manifold.

I guess I will need to remove and cap or rig something up to pressurize the BOV.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #131
Hey, hey...I found my boost leak when I was changing my oil today. Right at the intercooler cold side outlet - the rubber hose to the charge pipe was worn through by the T-bolt clamp.

Apparently you can't just order that part, but need to buy the entire cold side charge pipe assembly (C1BZ-6F073-A), which is dumb.

Looks like I'm upgrading to silicone hoses since they basically cost the same.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #132
I did some more leak hunting over the long weekend after I was able to trim the intercooler outlet hose enough to seal up that part of the charging system. I wanted to rule out any leaks at the evap lines, so I installed the factory airbox, induction hose, and oem evap hard lines.

What I noticed from hot swapping intakes (OEM and MAP) back to back:
- Hardly any difference in intake temp as long as the car is moving, no difference in charge temp
- OEM box with green filter has better throttle response and makes more torque low-midrange
- MAP picks up about 1psi more boost from 5k-redline

I left the factory airbox in for now and I will probably keep it on if I can get it flowing better at higher revs. I'm guessing the induction hose is the restriction. But I am scratching my head at this point on where to look next since nothing I've done has brought max boost up (or down in the case of installing the factory intake). I'm still at least 4psi off from what comparable builds are pushing.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #133
I've had the charging system taken apart 3 different ways, triple-checked each vacuum line and hose, leak tested all the way up to 30psi and I couldn't find anything. Yet still I would only hit 23.5psi max boost even in temps as low as 65F.

So this morning as a hail Mary I installed the factory intercooler and I hit over 26psi on a 3rd gear pull before I let off somewhere around 5k rpm. Didn't want to go higher because charge temp was climbing fast.

FYI, if you ever need to just leak test across the intercooler and the hoses directly connected to it, a beer bottle is just the right size to plug the outlet hose.

You could also take out the cooler and fill it with water ๐Ÿ’ง to check for leaks visually ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #136
You could also take out the cooler and fill it with water [emoji98] to check for leaks visually [emoji872][emoji872][emoji872]
Since the Whoosh intercooler is off the car now, I had my leak tester directly connected to it and it held 30psi overnight.

So it's not leaking. Maybe some kind of obstruction internally? Bad core?

I've been in PMs with Ron and he confirmed others are pushing 28-29psi on BT builds, so I'm hoping he and I can work out some kind of resolution.

I certainly can't keep running the stock cooler.

Since the Whoosh intercooler is off the car now, I had my leak tester directly connected to it and it held 30psi overnight.

So it's not leaking. Maybe some kind of obstruction internally? Bad core?

I've been in PMs with Ron and he confirmed others are pushing 28-29psi on BT builds, so I'm hoping he and I can work out some kind of resolution.

I certainly can't keep running the stock cooler.
Well if that isnโ€™t strange. Lol have looked inside of it? ๐Ÿ˜€

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ha! Imagine if there is something is in there. [emoji54]
Shine a flash light through it...in a darkened room or at night. You should be able to see light coming through.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: