Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Very slight oil burning smell when coming to a stop. Is my list of stuff to check correct?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Im wondering if i blew an exhaust gasket or cracked the fire ring somewhere.

I recently installed a GFB diverted valve and CPE intake to my fist and less than 500 miles down the road I’ve discovered oil in my intake (a fair amount). I have an X47R turbo installed and recently got a tune pushing around 27psi but I do not think that is the cause of the problem. After further inspection I noticed the oil was coming from the crankcase hose connected to the intake from the engine. I pulled my PCV catch can and didn’t notice anything in the oil from normal. I ordered a catch can for the crankcase side but I am a tad worried something is from with the purge line CPE provided and the new intake. Has anyone had any oil coming into their intake before?

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I recently installed a GFB diverted valve and CPE intake to my fist and less than 500 miles down the road I’ve discovered oil in my intake (a fair amount). I have an X47R turbo installed and recently got a tune pushing around 27psi but I do not think that is the cause of the problem. After further inspection I noticed the oil was coming from the crankcase hose connected to the intake from the engine. I pulled my PCV catch can and didn’t notice anything in the oil from normal. I ordered a catch can for the crankcase side but I am a tad worried something is from with the purge line CPE provided and the new intake. Has anyone had any oil coming into their intake before?
What purge line was provided with the intake? Mine did not include this part. Can you post a photo?

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #67
When I was running a 2j intake I used to get a really oily smell and the filter (that sat up in the cowl) would get oily, really quick like within ~1500 miles of installing it.
I ditched the 2j intake partially because it made the cabin smell like oil all the time. Even after ditching the 2j and having the cowl with a hole in it the interior smelled kinda oily. Bought a good/clean cowl off ebay and it smelled a lot better.
When I recently removed my ITG intake I didn't find any evidence of oil in the intake, only with the 2j.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #68
Post cat it would just be louder and pop/ bang sometimes right?
In my experience, at least. Like, with a carburated car it'd pop and stuff - with a fuel injected one that detects the difference and adjusts the fueling in dont know.

OMG like all the squids riding around on newer sportbikes with the mufflers chopped off :sigh: so many burned valves due to the failure to map correctly.

Last edited:
It appears my car is having trouble starting now as it seems it is hiccuping from time to time. I did take off the oil cap and have it a sniff and it did smell like I was running a lawnmower. Does anyone have a part number for the pcv check valve? I’m a tad worried at this point because it seems the problem is getting worse even after changing to my low boost tune (8psi)

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #71
It appears my car is having trouble starting now as it seems it is hiccuping from time to time. I did take off the oil cap and have it a sniff and it did smell like I was running a lawnmower. Does anyone have a part number for the pcv check valve? I’m a tad worried at this point because it seems the problem is getting worse even after changing to my low boost tune (8psi)
not off-hand, but dig into the exploded parts diagram here https://parts.ford.com/en.html

I think if you dig around the forum someone's probably posted the part number too.

Well they replaced a "vapor management valve" and the associated hose. Before dropping it off I did a loop from Orange county to San diego and back and was getting ~19mpg at freeway speeds. Since I picked it up today, I put ~7 miles on it and the average is already up to 23mpg, and its popping a lot less when decelerating. Didnt' drive it enough to see if being in the care still causes a sore throat.
Do you know what vapor management valve they replaced by chance?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I havent had luck finding a pcv valve either on the car. Im going to head to the dealership and see about a part number this coming weekend.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I think its built into the valve cover....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
If it is that is the dumbest friggen design ive ever even heard of. Its a consumable item. It shouldnt be integrated into other parts

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Maybe this will help. To much work. Requires intake manifold and starter removal.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thats the air oil separator block. Literally looking for just the pcv valve itself. If its integrated into that, i repeat my previous feelings on it.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Might be. Every pcv catch can kit hooks in the line on the passenger side motor mount area of the engine though. It doesnt help much that they show focus part pics on that thread.