Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weird sound of rushing air/screeching under acceleration?

I'm not quite mechanically inclined to check all of that out. I took it to Ford and they pretty much dismissed it saying a new ST on the lot is making the same noise, which it definitely isn't. However I don't believe so because it goes away when I tighten the cold side, then slowly comes back.
Get a flashlight 🔦 and look for nuts that have backed out or missing bolts

I have just bought Whoosh's intercooler boost hose clamp set....I doubled up on all my clamps. last time I checked it was like $23.99...worth every penny!
I bought Mountune’s hose clamps. No probs with single applications eva. But that is good insurance without a Guardian Angel. I just might

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My wife's brand new FoST is doing this nonsense. My FiST doesn't, thank goodness :) I'm changing her oil this week and will check all of the boost hoses. Whoosh doesn't sell a clamp set for it! On the FoST it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side. OP, it's a real bitch but have you checked the DV?

OP
C
Thread Starter #44
Get a flashlight 🔦 and look for nuts that have backed out or missing bolts
I bought Mountune’s hose clamps. No probs with single applications eva. But that is good insurance without a Guardian Angel. I just might
I'll check the DV tomorrow, do you know what size worm gear fits the oem charge pipe?

CDP219

Hey everyone,

I have a 2017 Fiesta ST with 27k miles. I'm thinking I may be having the same issue as the OP. Was anything further ever found with this issue?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Hey everyone,

I have a 2017 Fiesta ST with 27k miles. I'm thinking I may be having the same issue as the OP. Was anything further ever found with this issue?
What's your overall car setup (mods, etc.?) and do you have any symptoms other than noise?
If you have a really free flowing exhaust you get a ripping/whooshing sound from the exhaust once the turbo goes full boost, that's not abnormal.

user Felopr posted a handy pic showing where the boost hoses that need tightening are located on this thread here https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...at-need-to-be-tightened-anyone-have-it.21519/

CDP219

What's your overall car setup (mods, etc.?) and do you have any symptoms other than noise?
If you have a really free flowing exhaust you get a ripping/whooshing sound from the exhaust once the turbo goes full boost, that's not abnormal.

user Felopr posted a handy pic showing where the boost hoses that need tightening are located on this thread here https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...at-need-to-be-tightened-anyone-have-it.21519/
Thanks for the reply.

I've left my car completely stock. I'm somewhat familiar with how turbos work and the car always did make a very slight turbo "whoosh" sound, especially when letting off the accelerator. Now though, I can hear the turbo spooling up very audibly when accelerating, almost a sucking sound and whenever I let off the gas, the blowoff noise is very noticeable. I guess I'm concerned because this sound has been getting louder the last few months I've driven the car. I know to many people these sounds are desirable and there are mods and such to replicate them but I've done no mods to the car.

I've been into a dealer but it was in the rural Midwest and they said the sounds were normal turbo sounds. I don't disagree that they are turbo sounds, I'm just wondering why they are louder. Supposedly the car is making the appropriate amount of boost according to the dealer tech. I also found that thread about the boost hoses previously and tightened them all. Some were loose but that didn't seem to make a noticeable difference.

I had a similar noise with mine. I had an aftermarket spacer for my stock bypass valve so it acted like a blow off valve. Once I put a turbo smart bypass valve on it and took the spacer off though it went away.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Spinning spokes and a 30 mph crosswind. I though it was a mechanical noise till i realized it was wind shrieking through them. ( an old set of wheels i had used big flat spokes. And made a humming sound every time the car got blasted with wind. ) that being said i do have sensitive ears. tube tv's literally screamed at me and gave me a headache when i was younger.

And maybe next time try not being a jerk.

Geez, I worked at a Cadillac dealer for years and I had a number of people with aftermarket 22"+ wheels complain of whistling noises that were eventually traced to the wheel design sucking air past some suspension component at just the right speed to make noises, like blowing across an empty bottle top- ditto for aftermarket bug deflectors making air whistle around the mirrors where the GM one had little tips on the edges to direct the air slightly differently. Weird stuff, man.

Spinning spokes and a 30 mph crosswind. I though it was a mechanical noise till i realized it was wind shrieking through them. ( an old set of wheels i had used big flat spokes. And made a humming sound every time the car got blasted with wind. ) that being said i do have sensitive ears. tube tv's literally screamed at me and gave me a headache when i was younger.

And maybe next time try not being a jerk.
Oh darn, that came off jerky? I was going for enthralled.

I wanna know what kind of car, what kind of wheel, what road speed... everything. In terms of engineering, that’s the polar opposite of low-hanging fruit. Super neat, like Spoon Rigid Collars or that Mazda3 yaw control thing.

Since your hearing is remarkably good, I bet you’re the guy to ask: is it just me or is the Fiesta like eerily quiet? I’ve been a mechanic for like 8 years and FiST is the only sport compact where I’ve driven several examples in varying condition, where none have any rattles or squeaks whatsoever. Engine/trans noise, yes: but the body is silent.