Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weird sound of rushing air/screeching under acceleration?

OP
C
Thread Starter #22
Almost sound like your experiencing same issue as me specially on 3rd gear. sounds like a fan hitting something around 2-3k then disappears and comes back on 4/5/6 gear..
did you manage to find a fix?
I had this on my previous ST. Curious what you found.
I haven't found anything yet, I may take the bumper off again tomorrow to thoroughly check the intercooler charge pipes even though I'm positive they haven't slipped a bit yet considering I can reach under and feel them. Other than that, I'm taking it to a Ford dealer Tuesday to see if they can find anything. It's mildly infuriating, lol.

No power, air whooshing screeching under load. Boost leak!!! Jack it up and follow the air flow and look for loose connections. If all is well get a Dorman expansion plug and cram it into your symposer and tighten. I had one on my car for 4+ years without a problem. 1.25 in I believe or 1.125 I can’t remember but they’re cheap. I’ll find it 🔎
Edit: Dorman 1-1.125” expansion plug. Look up Fiesta ST sound symposer and you’ll get the whole write up 👁👁

Last edited:
OP
C
Thread Starter #25
No power, air whooshing screeching under load. Boost leak!!! Jack it up and follow the air flow and look for loose connections. If all is well get a Dorman expansion plug and cram it into your symposer and tighten. I had one on my car for 4+ years without a problem. 1.25 in I believe or 1.125 I can’t remember but they’re cheap. I’ll find it 🔎
Edit: Dorman 1-1.125” expansion plug. Look up Fiesta ST sound symposer and you’ll get the whole write up 👁👁
I had it on ramps inspecting every inch of tubing and everything is snug. I'm going to take off the bumper and check the charge pipes tomorrow. Did the symposer leak make that sound?

I had it on ramps inspecting every inch of tubing and everything is snug. I'm going to take off the bumper and check the charge pipes tomorrow. Did the symposer leak make that sound?
Mine never leaked. I hated the kazoo noise so I 86’ed it. The symposer can leak so kill 2 birds with one plug 👌

I haven't found anything yet, I may take the bumper off again tomorrow to thoroughly check the intercooler charge pipes even though I'm positive they haven't slipped a bit yet considering I can reach under and feel them. Other than that, I'm taking it to a Ford dealer Tuesday to see if they can find anything. It's mildly infuriating, lol.
I only ever heard it when I was wide open throttle in 3rd gear, I guess thats when we make full boost? I have yet to see if my 'new' Fiesta does it or not - I keep my windows up because my drivers side window screeches so bad when I put it down. Still need to fix that.

OP
C
Thread Starter #28
I only ever heard it when I was wide open throttle in 3rd gear, I guess thats when we make full boost? I have yet to see if my 'new' Fiesta does it or not - I keep my windows up because my drivers side window screeches so bad when I put it down. Still need to fix that.
It's extremely loud cruising on the interstate. See if you can hear it on yours.

Ive done a few WOT pulls with my "new to me" FiST and I dont hear the sound like I did on my other FiST - both were 2016s and the first had ~8,000 miles and the one I have now has 44,000 miles.

OP
C
Thread Starter #35
Could the turbo be coming loose from the manifold or the downpipe?
I'm not quite mechanically inclined to check all of that out. I took it to Ford and they pretty much dismissed it saying a new ST on the lot is making the same noise, which it definitely isn't. However I don't believe so because it goes away when I tighten the cold side, then slowly comes back.

OP
C
Thread Starter #36
I also just used clamps from O'Rielly. Does anyone happen to know of any good clamps or the exact size I would need?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have just bought Whoosh's intercooler boost hose clamp set....I doubled up on all my clamps. last time I checked it was like $23.99...worth every penny!