Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What "affordable fun" stable mate for your Fiesta do you have?

CSM

1000 Post Club
Now that used car prices are just starting to retreat, I'm looking for another fun weekender to compliment the ST. Keeping that little beast, just adding
something different that isn't necessary a daily, since I got that covered. Wondering what people own that they recommend. For me I'm looking rear wheel drive and on the smaller side, so would like to hear from those who own a Miata, Fiata, 370z, (it seems Brz's have now gotten out of hand), my budget is in the 15k range. I'm guessing
this thread is going to take a left turn sometime, so I won't mind if you post other types of cars you have and enjoy.
If you value driving dynamics over sheer speed, you should definitely check out first gen Twins. They are dropping in price and 15k will get you a fairly clean example. The dynamics of the car are a joy - so if backroads are your thing, it is tough to go wrong with a twin.

Miata gets a mention as well due to drop top, but with that budget you'll be limited to NA, NB or NC. I think NC are underrated personally, and you would be able to get a nice one for $15k.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Man I cant get the new '23 Prius out of my head. I feel like Will Ferrells character from "The Other Guys" for admitting it. "She's a fine machine..."
Meh. I suspect people only dumped on the Prius as an ego/class and politics thing.
There were plenty of vehicles that were both uglier, slow(er) and truly unreliable that didn't seem to get the ire of the classic Prius.
https://www.automotiverhythms.com/2023-toyota-prius-makes-los-angeles-auto-show-debut/
The updated model does look pretty smooth and is supposedly quick to boot.
Wonder how it compares in size, to the FiST?
I love that the FiST falls square in the Goldilocks Zone of "not too big and not too small" it's just right.

I really like this latest round but that Mr2 has been a favorite of mine since they were new in '90. Always reminded me of the similar generation Ferrari F355. Is there a build thread somewhere I can read more about it?

SPhilli911

The Fiesta is my only car at the moment, but I am looking for a "weekend/ project/ fun" car. I am seriously considering a 90's Jetta or Golf with a nice 16v motor, since I had a 1991 Passat 16 valve not long ago and loved driving the thing. Wasn't fast, but was a ton of fun and I know a lot of people in that crowd that can help.

Went for a short trip in my buddies Mk2 recently and he's helping me get a car, so something like this I might get.

2007 CTS-V is my stablemate. Its fun having polar opposite cars. The V is suprisingly athletic and doesn't get terrible cruising MPG. It sits around 3700lbs and 370whp. I'm about to ruin it though and install the supercharger I've had sitting around for a couple of years. I've got the itch for 600whp.

20210714_213035.jpg

OP
T
Thread Starter #29
Thanks for all the encouragement and smiles seeing some of your suggestions. Like the "twins" and miata most, not seeing the First Gen twins go down in price yet by me, but ND Miata's are (I COULD stretch my budget - but as some pointed out low cost is fun too). Test drove a Fiata, Miata ND test drive tomorrow. Maybe I can do some diggings on First Gen twins too during the Holiday.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thanks for all the encouragement and smiles seeing some of your suggestions. Like the "twins" and miata most, not seeing the First Gen twins go down in price yet by me, but ND Miata's are (I COULD stretch my budget - but as some pointed out low cost is fun too). Test drove a Fiata, Miata ND test drive tomorrow. Maybe I can do some diggings on First Gen twins too during the Holiday.
Be wary of ND1 miatas. Those transmissions are like glass. Pay attention to the 1-2 shift on those. Second gear tends to self destruct. If you can stretch your budget to an ND2 I'd go for that.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
2007 CTS-V is my stablemate. Its fun having polar opposite cars. The V is suprisingly athletic and doesn't get terrible cruising MPG. It sits around 3700lbs and 370whp. I'm about to ruin it though and install the supercharger I've had sitting around for a couple of years. I've got the itch for 600whp.

View attachment 52685
That 0.50 6th gear overdrive certainly helps out that (highway) mileage A LOT! [wink][thumb]
(The TR6060 still has that 6th gear ratio, just like the T56 had in my Z28, correct, or is this car an auto??)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Fiesta is my only car at the moment, but I am looking for a "weekend/ project/ fun" car. I am seriously considering a 90's Jetta or Golf with a nice 16v motor, since I had a 1991 Passat 16 valve not long ago and loved driving the thing. Wasn't fast, but was a ton of fun and I know a lot of people in that crowd that can help.

Went for a short trip in my buddies Mk2 recently and he's helping me get a car, so something like this I might get.
I owned the '89, 1.8 liter, rectangular headlight version of that car for almost 8 years, from new. [driving]

It carried me through many; autocrosses, working on/volunteering on SCCA Pro rallies, and harsh winters during it's lifetime. [thumb]

kevinatfms

Pickle Boy Motorsports - 2002 Elantra GLS 2.0L Beta II with the 5 Speed Mitsubishi 5FM transmission.

We run in the Champ Car Endurance Series in Class B. Class B winner at the 12 hours of VIR 2022. Came 2nd in the 2021 VIR North 8+7 races.

2021 setup - no night racing...
1635697923_dd661b3d-66b2-4cc4-9fd9-2709d7a993ac_mmthumb.jpeg
IMG_03190.JPG
2022 setup - night racing at 12 hours of VIR South...
IMG_0672.JPG IMG_0786.JPG

Just put the coilovers back on it after getting the lower holes welded up due to slipping camber. Now its lower, stiffer and the alignment is on point.

IMG_1842.JPG

Mikey456

Wow. That looks almost exactly like my old 91 GTI. I had the less fancy BBS RA wheels but had the big bumper car. I had a motor swap done too from a GLI. It weighed around 2200 and was a lot of fun to drive (especially at high revs) but it was at the shop a lot. Than the seals started to leak and I needed something more reliable for a daily driver. The FiST fit the bill. It was the same entertaining drive, but with more performance and reliability.
But as a project car it’s a fun driver. Just make sure there good parts availability.

That 0.50 6th gear overdrive certainly helps out that (highway) mileage A LOT! [wink][thumb]
(The TR6060 still has that 6th gear ratio, just like the T56 had in my Z28, correct, or is this car an auto??)
First gen CTS-V only came in 6sp manual. Highway cruising is definitely nice. Its idles down the highway at 70-80mph haha.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
First gen CTS-V only came in 6sp manual. Highway cruising is definitely nice. Its idles down the highway at 70-80mph haha.
Yeah, I forgot that they were all T56es connected to LS3s (I thought that they added the slushbox option at the end of the 1st gen run, even before that option offered on the second gen LSA huffer models, with the TR-6060 manual as standard.

So yes, you also got that 0.50 6th gear overdrive, enabling crazy highway mileage numbers despite the car's weight and power.