Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What Tire do you guys run

Mikey456

In the stock size I was thinking about trying the Pirelli Nero tires but I have not heard many reviews about them on our cars. I think they are standard on the Fiat 500 Abarth. One guy said that they were comparable to the OEM tire.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST, Shadow Black, Recaro seats, Mountune RMM, Swift springs, 5mm rear spacers, Falken 615+ tires

RT660 if you love the turns, want the stickiest and drive fast. Indy500 if you drive pretty tame and want similar grip as stock for a cheaper price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhminer

2000 Post Club
In the stock size I was thinking about trying the Pirelli Nero tires but I have not heard many reviews about them on our cars. I think they are standard on the Fiat 500 Abarth. One guy said that they were comparable to the OEM tire.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST, Shadow Black, Recaro seats, Mountune RMM, Swift springs, 5mm rear spacers, Falken 615+ tires
I have the Pzero Neros on my stock wheels. They're acceptable. Not great, not horrible. Good for DD cruising and the occasional spirited drive but they let loose pretty quick on the track. Before them I had Falken 615k+ which were sketchy in rain at high speed but excellent in the dry.

Mikey456

I have the Pzero Neros on my stock wheels. They're acceptable. Not great, not horrible. Good for DD cruising and the occasional spirited drive but they let loose pretty quick on the track. Before them I had Falken 615k+ which were sketchy in rain at high speed but excellent in the dry.
How is the sidewall stiffness on the Pirellis? Is it comparable to the Oem tire? I currently have the Falken 615k which have excellent traction but wear out too quickly for me. I need at least 20-25k on a tire mixed driving. The Oem Bridgestone was great but too pricey. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to sound like an old man here, but if you're driving your Indy 500's to the limit on the street to the point where you think you need more grip: You're being a jackass and endangering yourselves and others around you. I'd only recommend RE-71s, RT660s or other 200TW tires for those doing autocross or track days since they are more expensive, wear out much faster, and have less hydroplane resistance than the Indy's.

Indy 500 is probably the best street summer tire for the $.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
How is the sidewall stiffness on the Pirellis? Is it comparable to the Oem tire? I currently have the Falken 615k which have excellent traction but wear out too quickly for me. I need at least 20-25k on a tire mixed driving. The Oem Bridgestone was great but too pricey. Thanks for the feedback.

Comparable sidewall stiffness I think, but I haven’t driven on them in almost a year. Just hanging out in the basement collecting dust.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm going to sound like an old man here, but if you're driving your Indy 500's to the limit on the street to the point where you think you need more grip: You're being a jackass and endangering yourselves and others around you. I'd only recommend RE-71s, RT660s or other 200TW tires for those doing autocross or track days since they are more expensive, wear out much faster, and have less hydroplane resistance than the Indy's.

IF B-stone/F-stone were kind enough to make them in a size I wanted, i,e,; a 215/45-16, 225/45-16, or even a 215/40-17, they'd be on one of my summer wheel sets right now.

But they refuse to produce them in those sizes, so I am forced to go to a 200 tread wear donut on the street, $$$$ and wear be damned. [wink]

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club

I have the Indy 500 in the OEM size (and am old,) and they have enough grip for me. However, they give up a little bit of the crisp precise turn in of the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050a. Because of that I was planning to go back to the Potenzas next time I need tires, but in the meantime they have become virtually unavailable. That's why I was interested in dhminer's impression above of the Pirelli's.
I would consider one of the extreme category 200tw tires not because I need the ultimate grip but to get a more crisp turn in if they would in fact do that. The problem for me with those in central North Carolina is it it doesn't snow enough to get dedicated winter tires but it does get cold, and I worry that those tires would be virtually undriveable below about 45 degrees.

TemecFist

I'm a little confused. I've heard this comment before. Do people here not drive and enjoy their cars? How are you guys driving them? Just cruising around to the local Dairy Queen or something? No canyons or mountain roads? Indy 500's and the OEM Bridgestones are crap. I can blow those off on a single exit ramp while staying within the speed limit. I've daily driven 888r's, RS-RR's, RT660's, etc. Granted, I do drive my car harder on the street than most, hard enough to utilize a 200tw of sub 200tw tire, but that happens at 2am, on a mountain road, and no one around within 20 miles. Am I endangering myself?...yes, but im doing that on a track as well. It comes down to calculated risk. Every car I own, I bought to drive and enjoy, i guess everyone enjoys their cars in their own way tho. Idk, maybe it's just me. You only live once, enjoy your life.
As for a tire recommendation. Federal RS-RR's in 215/40r17. Good tire, great price, ok in rain, just avoid standing water with them, and depending on how hard your drive, you could get 15-20k miles out of them.

Sorry, my rant is over.

In my opinion the best E-something - i mean approved for road use - tyre you can have is the Bridge Potenza RE050A.
Especially in changing conditions - wet/dry/damp - are the above Bridges awesome.
They give you always perfect information what happens.
Horrible were Federal tyres - my friend had on his Mégane RS. I had the feeling the road is wet even on dry road. The car was moving so much. But I do not know exactly what they were. Maybe not RS-RR...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The one exception I personally would make to the above is 'roll racing' on the streets, (EVEN IN 'Mexico'!) from 60-140+ [nono]

That is insane, and should mandate a loss of license FOR LIFE if caught, but is about the only place where some can 'use' and show off their over 400 to the wheels in these cars.

TemecFist

I
The one exception I personally would make to the above is 'roll racing' on the streets, (EVEN IN 'Mexico'!) from 60-140+ [nono]

That is insane, and should mandate a loss of license FOR LIFE if caught, but is about the only place where some can 'use' and show off their over 400 to the wheels in these cars.
I agree. I'm not into roll racing at all. To me, it takes no skill. The person with the biggest wallet wins, not the person with the most skill.

I have the Indy 500 in the OEM size (and am old,) and they have enough grip for me. However, they give up a little bit of the crisp precise turn in of the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050a. Because of that I was planning to go back to the Potenzas next time I need tires, but in the meantime they have become virtually unavailable. That's why I was interested in dhminer's impression above of the Pirelli's.
I would consider one of the extreme category 200tw tires not because I need the ultimate grip but to get a more crisp turn in if they would in fact do that. The problem for me with those in central North Carolina is it it doesn't snow enough to get dedicated winter tires but it does get cold, and I worry that those tires would be virtually undriveable below about 45 degrees.
They come in 205, you’re not going to notice the difference on the street.

I'm a little confused. I've heard this comment before. Do people here not drive and enjoy their cars? How are you guys driving them? Just cruising around to the local Dairy Queen or something? No canyons or mountain roads? Indy 500's and the OEM Bridgestones are crap. I can blow those off on a single exit ramp while staying within the speed limit. I've daily driven 888r's, RS-RR's, RT660's, etc. Granted, I do drive my car harder on the street than most, hard enough to utilize a 200tw of sub 200tw tire, but that happens at 2am, on a mountain road, and no one around within 20 miles. Am I endangering myself?...yes, but im doing that on a track as well. It comes down to calculated risk. Every car I own, I bought to drive and enjoy, i guess everyone enjoys their cars in their own way tho. Idk, maybe it's just me. You only live once, enjoy your life.
As for a tire recommendation. Federal RS-RR's in 215/40r17. Good tire, great price, ok in rain, just avoid standing water with them, and depending on how hard your drive, you could get 15-20k miles out of them.

Sorry, my rant is over.
Idk how you‘re driving, but unless I’m being very reckless, I cannot overdrive my Indy500s on an off ramp. Sounds like you’re driving like a jackass. Indy 500s on the street provide more than enough grip to have fun while being safe, if you’re overdriving them on the road then you’re not being safe.

Driving at 2am? mountain road? You don’t know if someone else is around the corner. You just don’t.

Yes I agree enjoy your life, enjoy your car but not at the potential expense of others on the street. That’s why auto-x courses and tracks exist.

I’m not sure how else I can explain that you should be considerate about others safety as a result of your actions.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Sorry, my rant is over.
I could not agree with this more. I am currently on Federal RS Pro’s 205/45 16 and they have been great on the street.. Yes you can get them in 215/40 17 and I paid $490 mounted and balanced. I do push them.
Of course ya standing water is to be avoided and heavy rain is drive with caution lol. Yet in mild rain they work.

I am about to put together a set of 17’s with Falken RT660‘s ya its gonna cost around $200-250 more than the Feddy’s but I figured I would try them,.

Though ya I with Temec sure I daily this car but this car is meant to be driven hard and drive it hard I do. :ROFLMAO:
To me Indy 500’s are doing the car a disservice especially if you have a bigger turbo or hybrid.
You want to be cheap buy the RS RR’s or RS Pro’s and get great handling a iittle noisy but not as loud as some of the Ultra High performance tires.

TemecFist

They come in 205, you’re not going to notice the difference on the street.

Idk how you‘re driving, but unless I’m being very reckless, I cannot overdrive my Indy500s on an off ramp. Sounds like you’re driving like a jackass. Indy 500s on the street provide more than enough grip to have fun while being safe, if you’re overdriving them on the road then you’re not being safe.

Driving at 2am? mountain road? You don’t know if someone else is around the corner. You just don’t.

Yes I agree enjoy your life, enjoy your car but not at the potential expense of others on the street. That’s why auto-x courses and tracks exist.

I’m not sure how else I can explain that you should be considerate about others safety as a result of your actions.
I think that's kind of an egotistical thing to say. Just because you cant utilize a 200tw tire on a street safely, then no one can? Wow. People dont use Indy 500's in A/X because of lack of grip. A/X is ALOT slower than an on/off ramp, so 🤷‍♂️.

And yes, I do know if someone else is around the corner. I didnt want to go into detail about it because it would have been a long winded post, but here goes.
It's a 6 mile stretch up/down a mountain. At the top is an old WW2 radar station. No houses are on this road. We have people at the top, and at the bottom of the mountain when making runs. If by some off chance, some random person made a wrong turn onto this road (which would be nearly impossible considering you have to know where it is) then they would be stopped at the bottom and the run would be stopped. The biggest threat is actually wildlife, not people. I am considerate of others safety, which is why this happens late at night and precautions are taken (back to calculated risk). The last thing any of us want to do is hurt someone, which is why we do put so much effort into this. It's not a fly by night operation (excuse the pun). I buy/build cars to enjoy them, not have them sit around. TBH, the Fiesta is the slowest car I have. I have driven alot faster cars up this road. I'm not a 16 y/o kid driving like a lunatic, but I'm also not just going to drive/enjoy my car 3,4, or 5 times a year at a track like most do either. I actually spend more time at the track then I do on mountain roads (except for this year due to C19). Everyone enjoys their cars differently which is what makes the automotive "lifestyle" so much fun.

TemecFist

I could not agree with this more. I am currently on Federal RS Pro’s 205/45 16 and they have been great on the street.. Yes you can get them in 215/40 17 and I paid $490 mounted and balanced. I do push them.
Of course ya standing water is to be avoided and heavy rain is drive with caution lol. Yet in mild rain they work.

I am about to put together a set of 17’s with Falken RT660‘s ya its gonna cost around $200-250 more than the Feddy’s but I figured I would try them,.

Though ya I with Temec sure I daily this car but this car is meant to be driven hard and drive it hard I do. :ROFLMAO:
To me Indy 500’s are doing the car a disservice especially if you have a bigger turbo or hybrid.
You want to be cheap buy the RS RR’s or RS Pro’s and get great handling a iittle noisy but not as loud as some of the Ultra High performance tires.
EXACTLY THIS!!!!!
Thanks Dpro....its good to known there are still others out there that like to enjoy their car the way I do. BTW you're going to love those RT660's. Its definitely my new street tire (if only those A052's werent so expensive).

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Sounds like an absolute blast. I'm a little bit jealous.

How do you feel about the Dunlop Direzza ZIII ?
I have to deal with rain so I definitely cannot run the most extreme tires out there.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I think that's kind of an egotistical thing to say. Just because you cant utilize a 200tw tire on a street safely, then no one can? Wow. People dont use Indy 500's in A/X because of lack of grip. A/X is ALOT slower than an on/off ramp, so 🤷‍♂️.

And yes, I do know if someone else is around the corner. I didnt want to go into detail about it because it would have been a long winded post, but here goes.
It's a 6 mile stretch up/down a mountain. At the top is an old WW2 radar station. No houses are on this road. We have people at the top, and at the bottom of the mountain when making runs. If by some off chance, some random person made a wrong turn onto this road (which would be nearly impossible considering you have to know where it is) then they would be stopped at the bottom and the run would be stopped. The biggest threat is actually wildlife, not people. I am considerate of others safety, which is why this happens late at night and precautions are taken (back to calculated risk). The last thing any of us want to do is hurt someone, which is why we do put so much effort into this. It's not a fly by night operation (excuse the pun). I buy/build cars to enjoy them, not have them sit around. TBH, the Fiesta is the slowest car I have. I have driven alot faster cars up this road. I'm not a 16 y/o kid driving like a lunatic, but I'm also not just going to drive/enjoy my car 3,4, or 5 times a year at a track like most do either. I actually spend more time at the track then I do on mountain roads (except for this year due to C19). Everyone enjoys their cars differently which is what makes the automotive "lifestyle" so much fun.
We’re not talking skill level, we’re talking about pulling near or over 1G of force on a public road. Facts are facts. At best you’re short sighted, at worst you just don’t care. I hope it’s the former but whatever you want to be I guess 🤷‍♂️