Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What tools to buy

I'm gathering up tools that I will need for normal maintenance and upgrades to stage 2 and was wondering if any body has a good tool list of common sizes are or things I will need. I have a pretty decent collection in standard sizes but not much metric. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

When I first started doing mods I picked up a set of metric ratcheting wrenches, long reach ball end Allen head drivers both metric and standard and a full set or torx drivers. With these and a decent set of ratchets and metric sockets I haven't ran into something I didn't have a tool for. Also, I picked up a panel popping tool for all the annoying push pins. As for sizes I just picked up sets from harbor freight that covered a decent range. There really aren't any very big fasteners anywhere on the FiST.

MPA

A decent torque wrench if you'll be taking the wheels on and off often.

Stock lugnut torque is 100 ft/lbs, and always return the setting back to zero before storing it.

OP
Turbo65
Thread Starter #5
A decent torque wrench if you'll be taking the wheels on and off often.

Stock lugnut torque is 100 ft/lbs, and always return the setting back to zero before storing it.
Thanks that's good advise, I never thought about resetting it. I just bought one for the wheels and rmm I have to swap out

Quisp

1000 Post Club
You'll need a 7mm for removing the front end for fmic install and a swivel adapter. That's kind of an oddball size not found in some kits.

OP
Turbo65
Thread Starter #7
You'll need a 7mm for removing the front end for fmic install and a swivel adapter. That's kind of an oddball size not found in some kits.
Cheers, I'll need to get one of those because that's on my list of thingd

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I don't know how much you're willing to spend but Harbor Freight has their 300+ kit on sale right.

Scent from Glade Air Freshener

OP
Turbo65
Thread Starter #9
I don't know how much you're willing to spend but Harbor Freight has their 300+ kit on sale right.

I'll check it out, thanks mate

I started with a fairly small Craftsman metric + SAE tool kit, and then expanded to one that had a full spectrum of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive 6-point and 6-point deep sockets. Then add Torx, Allen, e-Torx, a set of better ratchets, size adapters, universal joints, wobble extensions, a big pry bar, and a good sledgehammer for when things get old.

I'm not sure I can recommend the Harbor Frieght thing for things like ratchets/sockets/bits/wrenches. Poorly cast sizes and shapes will always frustrate you when working on the car. You want the tools to help you do the job, not get in the way. At least do Craftsman sockets/wrenches, and then Tekton fine-tooth ratchets. Spendy tools like Snap-on and Beta are probably more than most of us are willing to spend, especially if you're not using your tools literally every day.

This kit from Craftman actually looks pretty good, and the case is super handy for bench-top and semi-portable. The main negative is you'll want to replace the ratchets: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...p-00940263000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

This one might be even better because it comes with the better ratchets, but you'll have to go buy a full set of 6 point 1/2" drive sockets: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...0950254000P?prdNo=17&blockNo=17&blockType=G17

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
[MENTION=4567]Ryephile[/MENTION], I might have to go pick up one of those Craftsman kits. Question for you: I like Harbor Freight because they have a lot of auto specialty tools for relatively good pricing, also, I love their jacks. Have you personally used one of their tool kits and can comment on the level of frustration the casting (and clocking or whatever the actual word is) of the tools?

[MENTION=759]Hijinx[/MENTION], first of all, I love your "Scent from Glade Air Freshener" [giggle]

For sure Harbor Freight fits a niche, and in a pinch you can get a disposable tool for almost free. I've used them many times over the years. E.g. making a custom adapter or wrench where I had to weld something together because no tool existed, I don't feel guilty trashing the bargain tools.

I've also had HF tools literally break on the first use, not even fit on a nut, and in the case of the angle grinders, only last a few minutes of run-time. You get what you pay for in terms of general quality, the purity of the steel, the accuracy of the castings and forgings. A big redeeming aspect of HF is their return and warranty policy is top notch. In the case of the angle grinders, they failed so quickly I kept going back to the store to get a new one. After the 3rd one failed I simply returned it and bought a good one, and that one has lasted for years and still going. Now I tend to "buy once, buy for life", it's just easier to have a tool work reliably than fuss with warranties and returning and job down-time. That cuts into my beer time, after all.

[cheers]

*edit* congrats to me for my 100th post!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
[MENTION=759]Hijinx[/MENTION], first of all, I love your "Scent from Glade Air Freshener" [giggle]

For sure Harbor Freight fits a niche, and in a pinch you can get a disposable tool for almost free. I've used them many times over the years. E.g. making a custom adapter or wrench where I had to weld something together because no tool existed, I don't feel guilty trashing the bargain tools.

I've also had HF tools literally break on the first use, not even fit on a nut, and in the case of the angle grinders, only last a few minutes of run-time. You get what you pay for in terms of general quality, the purity of the steel, the accuracy of the castings and forgings. A big redeeming aspect of HF is their return and warranty policy is top notch. In the case of the angle grinders, they failed so quickly I kept going back to the store to get a new one. After the 3rd one failed I simply returned it and bought a good one, and that one has lasted for years and still going. Now I tend to "buy once, buy for life", it's just easier to have a tool work reliably than fuss with warranties and returning and job down-time. That cuts into my beer time, after all.

[cheers]

*edit* congrats to me for my 100th post!
Right. I'll treat it like my parts then. I don't mind shelling out for the good stuff, but Snap-on is def out of my range. I was with a roomie who had craftsman tools and didn't have any problems with them, except for the damn 10mm coming and going lol. I just needed to invest in some tools of my own.

Agreed, for some reason you always need multiples of the 10mm wrench, and a quality 10mm flare wrench for brake line fittings [depending on car]. [:0] I also have a habit of needing several 6mm allen bits, and plenty of extension combinations. If I may, if you need a specific tool for a job you know you'll do at least a few times, get the cutter and welder out and make one that's perfect for you.

Snap-on is really meant for full-time mechanics that are using them hard every day. Us shadetree guys can be perfectly good with mid-level stuff like Craftsman and Tekton. The latter is awesome because it's a Michigan company that I'm happy to support, and they're on Amazon Prime. I've absolutely thrashed my Tekton fine-tooth ratchets during my Miata build and they still feel smooth and precise. The pricing is also very good for the quality they are.

Lifetime tools - Craftsman, like father like son (although I have noticed their quality slipping in recent years and no more lifetime warranty on a lot of their tools!)

Value tools - I like Husky (Home Depot) or the Kobalt stuff (Lowes). I buy these brands over Craftsman 90% of the time now. Fit and finish keeps getting better.

One time use tools - Harbor Freight. Can't beat it. Sure, I bought a wood handled hammer there that broke in half the first time I used it but it was only like $1.99. Don't forget your 20% off coupons! (Pro tip- don't buy harbor freight zip ties and expect them to hold things together...)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Agreed, for some reason you always need multiples of the 10mm wrench, and a quality 10mm flare wrench for brake line fittings [depending on car]. [:0] I also have a habit of needing several 6mm allen bits, and plenty of extension combinations. If I may, if you need a specific tool for a job you know you'll do at least a few times, get the cutter and welder out and make one that's perfect for you.

Snap-on is really meant for full-time mechanics that are using them hard every day. Us shadetree guys can be perfectly good with mid-level stuff like Craftsman and Tekton. The latter is awesome because it's a Michigan company that I'm happy to support, and they're on Amazon Prime. I've absolutely thrashed my Tekton fine-tooth ratchets during my Miata build and they still feel smooth and precise. The pricing is also very good for the quality they are.
I'll have to look into Tekton.

Watch out for the big mechanic sets of tools. They are usually loaded with 12 point sockets which lead to rounded off bolts and busted knuckles. Try and get 6 point sockets if you can. Craftsmen works really good. I turn wrenches for a living and use craftsmen sockets with a snap on ratchet every day. It works good for me

dyn085

2000 Post Club
One of the more affordable slightly-above-middle brands to look into is GearWrench. Their tools are comfortable and have done well for me for many years now. Them and Knipex have been two of my favorite bands for actual 'value' when considering cost vs performance. I have very few Snap-on level tools and I've been wrenching in aviation for 15 years.

Also, six-point sockets suck. I don't own a single one for aviation, maybe they're of more value in the automotive industry though.

...Also, six-point sockets suck. I don't own a single one for aviation, maybe they're of more value in the automotive industry though.
Six point sockets are mandatory for automotive, and the higher the bolt torque the more critical they are. It's rare you actually need a 12-point for typical mechanics work with a car, unless you have a modern BMW that uses a 14mm thin-wall 12-point socket for the spark plugs. The only time you need 12-points are if you're building an engine, which honestly isn't that often for most shadetree mechanics.