Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whatever you do, don't lose your key!

A shop lost the key to my car. I have the spare, but the dealer quoted $362 to make and program a replacement. The shop is paying for it, but... Wow that's a lot.

Cant you buy a new one for like $60-$80 and program it yourself? Well not you specifically since the shop is paying for it, but if anyone loses their's you shouldnt have to go to the dealer and pay their prices

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #3
If it's like every other Ford I've owned with an electronic key, I think you need the two originals to program a third key yourself, but if you only have one key, you're stuck going to the dealer. The price is for the fob, the metal key insert inside, cutting the key and programming the fob. At least I'm not paying for it.

TUX15ST

cant you buy a new one for like $60-$80 and program it yourself? Well not you specifically since the shop is paying for it, but if anyone loses their's you shouldnt have to go to the dealer and pay their prices
this, you dont need any other keys to program these

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
this, you dont need any other keys to program these
Hmm not to sure there. If you have at least one key the programming is easier. If you don't have any key the process is more laborious. I have had this done on our Edge and the cost was just the key plus 30min shop time. Now I have not checked how much these fobs are but I do not expect them to be too expensive as when I picked up my car I was given 3 key since they lost a key during their lot moves and the detailer found it under the seat(the peg was broken to hold the ring).

The real frustration thing about this keys is that to put them in your pocket to secure them when swimming is an endeavour to make sure they are water proof. Still minor inconvenience as I never need to actually touch them during a normal day.