Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Where is the button for the Dome Lights.

Things that Police Officers like enough at night to give out a warning instead of a ticket.

1) The driver they have stopped switching ON the Dome Lights. BTW, open the drivers door to do this and you WILL get a ticket because the police universally hate seeing that drivers door opened or cracked. In fact opening that door can and has resulted in a Felony Stop procedure being used.

2) The driver getting the registration and license ready after turning on the dome light and placing those items in plain view on the dashboard.

3) The driver lowering the drivers window completely, even in minus 20 degree temps.

4) The driver placing both hands on the steering wheel and keeping them there.

5) The driver following the officers requests to the letter without any argument.

So I repeat, How do your turn on the dome lights? BTW, I have a 2019 FiST. All I have found with a switch are the reading lights and those really aren't bright enough.

PS; I was taught this "secret" back in 1971 by an Ohio Highway Patrol Sergeant when I was 16 years old. I can tell you that this really does work. Since 1971 I have had a grand total of 5 traffic citations and an untold number of warnings. Currently I've been citation free for 6 years and the last one was for 71 in a 50 in Virginia and the trooper did NOT cite me for Reckless Driving, just the speed and he wrote it up for 59 in a 50mph zone . In addition when I went to Court that Officer actually testified on my behalf that I was quite courteous and told the Court I had stated the same testimony given was exactly what I stated at the traffic stop. So I had to pay a fine for 54 in a 50 and was put on a 6 month probation. Yeah the Court actually knocked my recorded infraction to a zero point infraction so it wasn't reportable to the insurance company.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Put some LEDs in them that will make them brighter. Much much brighter.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I just did a run to the grocery store and the rear dome light was on when I opened the door but not the front. The dome light has a slide switch, right on the light itself.

You're asking how to turn the dome/map lights on? The clear lens itself is the button to turn it on or off. I do agree they aren't bright enough, LED bulbs can fix that quick though.

I have a 2018 so unless they changed the dome/map light setup in 2019 that's the way to turn them on or off.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The map lights/reading lights are switched on by pressing on the lens itself. There is a slide switch to turn the dome light function off and on, and to turn the dome light on without opening the door. The rear dome light has its own switch. The dome light is brighter and casts a wider beam than the reading/map light.

OP
scooter123
Thread Starter #10
On my 2019 FiST the dome light lens does not move at all when you press on it. The rear dome light features a 3 position switch but that is nearly out of reach of the driver in a full stretch. Apparently Ford didn't want to "waste" 50 cents to put a switch for the dome lights into the Fiesta. Looking in the manual concerning the interior lights there are supposed to be 2 buttons between the reading light switches that provide controls for the Interior Lights. These are missing from my car. In fact the housing shown in the manual is completely devoid of the center 2 buttons shown and it's just a smooth unbroken surface.

I'll have to inquire with NHTSA about this as I suspect that per Federal Law there may be a requirement for this particular lighting control. If so I see an expensive recall on the Fiesta coming down the line.

OP
scooter123
Thread Starter #12
Apparently there has been a change made during the 2019 model year run. In the owners manual on page 75 there are two illustration of the interior lighting controls. Due to the difference between the two I can only conclude that this particular page has been used for many years. In the case of my 2019 the bottom illustration most closely matches the control layout on my front light assembly. On my car the two outer buttons for the reading lights are present, however the two buttons in the middle are not present, what is in that location is the housing cover that holds the two reading light buttons and there is no provision in that cover for the two middle buttons shown in the owners manual.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Save 50 cent on a dome light, but spend money install a CD player from the 1980s.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/poll-cd-player-ever-use-it.11925/

Here's one approach, with its own issues:
1) Hit the unlock button on the dash.
2) Turn off the car.
Caveat: The lights only stay on for a matter of ten or twenty seconds. So you'll have to wait until the person starts to approach the vehicle.

Also, after engine shutoff, the proverbial "accessory" or "acc" mode only stays active for about ten or fifteen minutes. They routinely kill this amount of time (and longer) at every traffic stop. Then your manually activated dome lights turn off.

Sidebar: It's situational but when certain people/entities mess with me I generally don't go out of my way to make them feel comfortable doing it. They get paid to walk up to dark vehicles. Get used to it. Those that can't handle it, fly off the handle and shoot people, shouldn't be employed in that role. Selectively pulling tax payers over for petty BS doesn't make us feel safer.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I have no sunroof and no sunglass holder... where is this compartment lol
Right up behind the dome light. I test drove a 2019 without sunroof and it had one. Just like on my F150. That car was sold minutes after I test drove it, and the one ended up buying (also a 2019) had a sunroof. It did not have the sunglasses holder.

Apparently there has been a change made during the 2019 model year run. In the owners manual on page 75 there are two illustration of the interior lighting controls. Due to the difference between the two I can only conclude that this particular page has been used for many years. In the case of my 2019 the bottom illustration most closely matches the control layout on my front light assembly. On my car the two outer buttons for the reading lights are present, however the two buttons in the middle are not present, what is in that location is the housing cover that holds the two reading light buttons and there is no provision in that cover for the two middle buttons shown in the owners manual.
So happy you asked the question. I also have a 2019 and it was driving me nuts that I couldn't figure out how to turn the dome light on. Felt like an idiot.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Right up behind the dome light. I test drove a 2019 without sunroof and it had one. Just like on my F150. That car was sold minutes after I test drove it, and the one ended up buying (also a 2019) had a sunroof. It did not have the sunglasses holder.
wtf I want a sunglass holder.