Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which Wheel is More Corrosion Resistant: OEM or Aftermarket

I'm looking for some new wheels for my winter tires, and want something that will be less prone to salt damage. So the question is: Are OEM Ford wheels or aftermarket wheels more corrosion resistant? I'm guessing the Ford OEM ones are.

It's tough to make a generalization like that when we don't know what aftermarket wheels you're referring to. But unless you're buying some high dollar stuff, chances are the OEM finish will be stronger.

Very debatable. OEM wheels that are painted usually do pretty well except for oxidation around the bead. I don't keep my aftermarket wheels long enough to really gauge a definite answer but I can say it will vary depending on the company.

I usually buy winter wheels and tires. This time I went with TD wheels for summer and using OEM for winter.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
OEM wheels will go through much more salt spray and environmental testing than any aftermarket wheel. With that said, I have used both OEM and aftermarket wheels in the winter and both have held up very well and both have been stained by brake dust about the same. I haven't had a single set of winter wheels long enough to see which holds up better in the long run.

PCA-1

Having put 4 years of snow belt winter driving on a set of matte black Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels, I can vouch for them.

I considered this as a test. I wanted to see just how good the finish is as TD says. No complaints here.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Having put 4 years of snow belt winter driving on a set of matte black Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels, I can vouch for them.

I considered this as a test. I wanted to see just how good the finish is as TD says. No complaints here.
No 'salt soup' stains on the matte finish at all?

I ask because I am still trying to decide between matte black and gloss black for my 1.2s when I order them.

Even though they will be exclusively SUMMER ONLY wheels, knowing that the matte paint can stand up to that corrosion bath unscathed, bodes well for me being able to choose them over the gloss finish if I decide they 'work' better with the magnetic color body. ;)

PCA-1

No 'salt soup' stains on the matte finish at all?

I ask because I am still trying to decide between matte black and gloss black for my 1.2s when I order them.

Even though they will be exclusively SUMMER ONLY wheels, knowing that the matte paint can stand up to that corrosion bath unscathed, bodes well for me being able to choose them over the gloss finish if I decide they 'work' better with the magnetic color body. ;)
No. In fact I never cleaned the wheels either. And very few car washes b/c it's too damn cold. I ended up selling them. Took them off and power washed them, then took a quick detailer and paper towel to them which removed what remained.

Team Dynamics wheels have one of the finest finishes out there.