Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

whoosh motorsports Hybrid Turbo pics, installs, results, dynos, reviews, thread......

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #162
@ron@whoosh has there ever been any sales on your turbos for say, labor day?
the only way to reduce cost is to stop sending all of the OEM install supplies, reduce the warranty, etc
it's priced at the point where it's just worth doing

IssaParty

After all the well deserved s280 hype this year, the whoosh hybrid is still a solid contender. I may end up with one and save a few bucks.

Erick_V

After all the well deserved s280 hype this year, the whoosh hybrid is still a solid contender. I may end up with one and save a few bucks.
I've been back and forth between the two all year. I may go with the whoosh hybrid because I don't plan on upgrading the fuel system any time soon and I have access to E85. They're both great and both have their place. Really depends on what you want

Dpro

6000 Post Club
A friend just made the switch. From Whoosh to S280 still has to tune and all that to see if it was really a worth while change.
This would be interesting to see . i just over three weeks out from install and tune and wondering if I have made the right choice with the S280 . I do have E85 available nearby.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Won't be a lot of difference with any turbo until fuel system is upgraded.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Thats actually potentially not true. If you study the dyno charts between the two turbo’’s you will see the Whoosh has a huge low end TQ bump whereas the S280 pretty much looks like a stock turbo TQ curve wise on the low end and then starts shooting up after 3k-3500 rpm though it Arcs up in a nice bell vs the spike of the Whoosh. So it would be quite interesting to get a seat of the pants feel report. Numbers are numbers but we really react to how we get pushed back in our seats.

Thats actually potentially not true. If you study the dyno charts between the two turbo’’s you will see the Whoosh has a huge low end TQ bump whereas the S280 pretty much looks like a stock turbo TQ curve wise on the low end and then starts shooting up after 3k-3500 rpm though it Arcs up in a nice bell vs the spike of the Whoosh. So it would be quite interesting to get a seat of the pants feel report. Numbers are numbers but we really react to how we get pushed back in our seats.
Opinions and facts are 2 different things. Depending on modifications and manifold and tune some will spike different or earlier or later. The stock fuel system will max out at same tq and hp no matter how much boost you push through it. If all you care about is feel than the rest of the conversation is pointless. Just because u feel fast doesn't mean anything, but I understand what u mean about it "feeling" more fun or whatever.

Tq curve doesn't mean anything past 4k rpms since some hit max at 2500k and some 4k. After 1st gear you won't be back in that range in any kind of track event or race if u know what you're doing.

Se7eN

This would be interesting to see . i just over three weeks out from install and tune and wondering if I have made the right choice with the S280 . I do have E85 available nearby.
Yeah and he has the full kit of Single Port and Meth. Already made good numbers on those with the Hybrid. Let's see what it yields with the S280.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Opinions and facts are 2 different things. Depending on modifications and manifold and tune some will spike different or earlier or later. The stock fuel system will max out at same tq and hp no matter how much boost you push through it. If all you care about is feel than the rest of the conversation is pointless. Just because u feel fast doesn't mean anything, but I understand what u mean about it "feeling" more fun or whatever.

using your argument manifolds on stock fueling do not make much difference. I cited facts as in dyno charts you spoke opinion.
The way a turbo performs vs another is different and can be a lot different your argument is purely your opinion not based in facts. One could deem the conversation pointless based off that. You are dismissing without proving you fail and lose this round.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Tq curve doesn't mean anything past 4k rpms since some hit max at 2500k and some 4k. After 1st gear you won't be back in that range in any kind of track event or race if u know what you're doing.

It makes a big difference in how the car pulls and once again your lack of understand that fails you. You can and do notice the difference and its been pointed out here many times. Come back when you actually know something. rather than arguing a opinion you have.
I have studied this and there is a lot of information about here you could learn instead of just stating your opinion. You are the one that is making this discussion pointless as you argue from assumption rather than knowledge of these turbo’s and how they work on our cars.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
If you're going to make about the same hp/tq and stay on stock fuel, I'll generally lean towards the more responsive turbo.

I used to have a gtx3076, but once I decided I didn't want to upgrade the fueling to push the top end, I was wishing I had gone with the 3071 which spooled much faster.

I was all in on the S280 until I thought hard about that miscalculation on my MS3.

Erick_V

If you're going to make about the same hp/tq and stay on stock fuel, I'll generally lean towards the more responsive turbo.

I used to have a gtx3076, but once I decided I didn't want to upgrade the fueling to push the top end, I was wishing I had gone with the 3071 which spooled much faster.

I was all in on the S280 until I thought hard about that miscalculation on my MS3.
Funny you say that, I was deciding between a 3071 and a BNR S4 before I was filling catch cans after 100 miles and stocked/sold my MS3. But I think the S280 is a great turbo for people that want to eventually upgrade the fuel system and make more power. If you want to stay on stock fueling and have a stock like response (plus more mid/top end) then hybrid is what you want. If you want to make more than ~280whp then yes, S280 all day. I don't feel like you'll be disappointed with either but if my turbo started smoking tomorrow and I needed a new one I would go hybrid. There's way too many things that I would rather do with the fuel system money (bbk, ducting, exhaust, sway bars, bushings, cage, harness etc.).

Basically it once again depends on the application lol

Funny you say that, I was deciding between a 3071 and a BNR S4 before I was filling catch cans after 100 miles and stocked/sold my MS3. But I think the S280 is a great turbo for people that want to eventually upgrade the fuel system and make more power. If you want to stay on stock fueling and have a stock like response (plus more mid/top end) then hybrid is what you want. If you want to make more than ~280whp then yes, S280 all day. I don't feel like you'll be disappointed with either but if my turbo started smoking tomorrow and I needed a new one I would go hybrid. There's way too many things that I would rather do with the fuel system money (bbk, ducting, exhaust, sway bars, bushings, cage, harness etc.).

My s280 hit max boost and tq on average 2 to 300 rpms before my stock or hybrid turbo. Tuning and mods play a role. That being said, the stock one did feel more responsive below 3k rpms

gtx3076

1000 Post Club

I'm happy with quick over fast, so 250-280whp and sticky tires would be fine for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
My s280 hit max boost and tq on average 2 to 300 rpms before my stock or hybrid turbo. Tuning and mods play a role. That being said, the stock one did feel more responsive below 3k rpms

see now here you give some evidence do you have any dyno charts for it? Plus its interesting you mention the stock turbo feeling more responsive below 3k because from the dyno charts I read the S280 has a 50ftlb tq dip in the 2k-2500 range. after that it pretty much followed the stock TQ curve line till around 3k and then took off vs the Whoosh that shot like rocket on up the dyno chart right around 2k-2500 and turned over hard and started dropping vs the gradual constant upwards bell curve of the S280. Essentially on the charts the Whoosh peaked way earlier than the S280 on TQ .The S280 had much more linear curve on both TQ and HP which means that it pulls like a freight train above 3k and actually does need extra fueling to take full advantage of what it is capable of delivering. I talked to my tuner who does not like aux fuel as they use a piggyback system from the 90’s. Which is completely true. They favor a HpFp and possibly injectors,.
I drove a Whoosh and noticed the massive TQ in the low end the car pulled like crazy right off the line.
The argument one usually gives for that is tire spinning on the low end does no one any good except are you losing that low end pull on the s280. Most have claimed its fine a few have said they noticed the difference compared to their previous hybrid ( x47) .
So that is why I was interested in the differences between it and the Whoosh.

Last edited: