Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

whoosh motorsports Hybrid Turbo pics, installs, results, dynos, reviews, thread......

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I thought i had my heart set on the S280. So much so i ignore this thread whenever it bubbles up. But having read through, I'm leaning towards the Whoosh hybrid again. The recent price increase on the s280 is a factor but mostly you guys really framed the argument well. I will never do an ethanol blend or mod my fuel system so no real point in the s280. I will have Adam try to ease tip-in and mitigate the torque spike (just a bit) on the hybrid and live happily ever after. And save $300 while I'm at it.

But then there's the argument of over spinning the lil hybrid turbo, creating excess heat, losing efficiency, etc...Don't know that i care tho. And i think Adam is experienced enough to keep the tune out of the abuse zone...

You definitely sound just like the voice in my head. Its probably going to come down to a coin flip lol.
On the stock turbo, buy a dizzy flash tune and a stratified flash tune. If you enjoy the stratified flash tune more go hybrid. If you enjoy the dizzy tune more go s280. I enjoyed the dizzy tune more [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Sounds similar to me. I have a similar mod list and do some track days in CT and MA. I went with a hybrid style turbo. Once I get it installed, I'd happily give you a ride along at one of the CT track days (Thompson) and you can see what you think. Not sure if you were looking to buy sooner however.
They don't hold open track days at NHIS? [dunno]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They hold them at NHMS in Loudon if that's what you meant. Was just offering him CT since it's probably easier for him.
Yeah, that's the place I meant. [thumb]

I was not aware that the name was changed from "International Speedway" to "Motor Speedway". [wink]

Sounds similar to me. I have a similar mod list and do some track days in CT and MA. I went with a hybrid style turbo. Once I get it installed, I'd happily give you a ride along at one of the CT track days (Thompson) and you can see what you think. Not sure if you were looking to buy sooner however.
That would be awesome Please lmk when you can do this. Ik covid and winters got everything on hold right now but i would greatly appreciate it!!!

Ok let's throw another wrench in here. Is it worth the extra $200 to get the track spec whoosh hybrid turbo over the regular whoosh hybrid? Pretty sweet that you can pretty much get it in any color you want. Idk much about coatings at all and or how they benefit but it would be nice to eventually see some info comparing the two with life expectancies and things of that nature.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Ok let's throw another wrench in here. Is it worth the extra $200 to get the track spec whoosh hybrid turbo over the regular whoosh hybrid? Pretty sweet that you can pretty much get it in any color you want. Idk much about coatings at all and or how they benefit but it would be nice to eventually see some info comparing the two with life expectancies and things of that nature.
I got a coated downpipe and a coated turbo inlet. If I was going Whoosh turbo, I'd get a coated one for heat management. Not sure the color really matters as you can't see the thing anyways.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I got a coated downpipe and a coated turbo inlet. If I was going Whoosh turbo, I'd get a coated one for heat management. Not sure the color really matters as you can't see the thing anyways.
IF Whoosh offers a close to factory color coating, one could even maintain that factory (frame) turbo 'look' as well, while getting the benefits of said coating, IF that is a concern to anyone.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Ironically, Ron used to be right up in Fleetwood (Pa.), and probably would have installed his own hybrid for you if he was still there. [:(]
I might have found someone. I want to check the Facebook group still but I stopped using FB, twitter, IG long time ago. The ole lady went to school with a local mech who said this would be a cake walk after sending him the link to the whoosh hybrid. I want to face to face with him first before I let him wrench on it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I might have found someone. I want to check the Facebook group still but I stopped using FB, twitter, IG long time ago. The ole lady went to school with a local mech who said this would be a cake walk after sending him the link to the whoosh hybrid. I want to face to face with him first before I let him wrench on it.
PLEASE let us know if this pans out, and he seems legit, as there is NO ONE that I can even think of within a 100+ mile radius of here (Dizzy is further away than that, especially given the time/standing still traffic involved to get there!) who is a competent installer/tuner for these cars. [:(]

I'm trying to find someone/shop in the Columbus, OH area that has installed a hybrid or big turbo. Other than a LSD, this would be the icing on the cake for such a great vehicle.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I'm trying to find someone/shop in the Columbus, OH area that has installed a hybrid or big turbo. Other than a LSD, this would be the icing on the cake for such a great vehicle.
send me a PM. There's someone local up here in the Canton/Akron area who has worked on a lot of STs and has been a ford tech for many many years. He did my clutch/flywheel/LSD install and has helped out a lot of Fiesta owners.

anticon

I'm curious what are the risks of running the whoosh hybrid on the stock downpipe? I've heard you can run the S280 on a stock downpipe. What is the difference? Thanks.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Okay, it's just the whoosh website specifies a high flow down pipe as a minimum requirement. This has probably been discussed before, just wanting to double check. Thank you!
It's ideal if you do it at the same time - better flow and heat management. But no "risk" if you don't change it, just missing out on benefits. Also you are in there anyways doing the work, so now would be the time.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Okay, it's just the whoosh website specifies a high flow down pipe as a minimum requirement. This has probably been discussed before, just wanting to double check. Thank you!
a high flow cat downpipe will always help the larger turbo or turbo that flows more breath. That said people have achieved numbers with the stock downpipe. When I went S280 I changed the downpipe out to a Mountune Sportcat . Those are no longer available if I bought one today I would get the Miltek.

I should add most people that have changed their turbo’s have done the downpipe . Its an easy job to do when your doing the Turbo at the same time. Oh it does change the tone of your exhaust for the better FWIW.

Last edited:

anticon

a high flow cat downpipe will always help the larger turbo or turbo that flows more breath. That said people have achieved numbers with the stock downpipe. When I went S280 I changed the downpipe out to a Mountune Sportcat . Those are no longer available if I bought one today I would get the Miltek.

I should most people that have changed their turbo’s have done the downpipe . Its an easy job to do when your doing the Turbo at the same time. Oh it does change the tone of your exhaust for the better FWIW.
Thanks for the input. I wonder how much I could be leaving on the table with the stock downpipe, 10%? I'm trying to do an LSD at the same time, just trying to keep costs down.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thanks for the input. I wonder how much I could be leaving on the table with the stock downpipe, 10%? I'm trying to do an LSD at the same time, just trying to keep costs down.
It will never be cheaper/easier to do a downpipe as doing it at the same time as a turbo. Just an fyi.