Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wondering about options to look for

R4Racin

Hello,

I have had more than a few "small sporty" cars. I grea up racing go karts and worked up through low level formula cars before my need$ outgrew my abilities, lol so I guess I have always been partial to small.
I have a 201x regular fiesta that I want to re[place with an ST.
My biggest question is regarding differential options. I have seen some reference "limited slip" diff and am wondering if that is indeed an "option" or what is the best year(s) ST to get. I know I want the heated seats, sunroof, and sport options available - but what sport options are available? suspension?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thx,
Mike

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
limited Slip differential/ LSD was NOT* an option for any model year in the NA version of the mk7. It must be installed by the the owner. 16's i do believe the starting of the reverse cameras. Id highly suggest the Recaros as an option as most people end up regretting not getting them and trying to source some in the for sale section. Sunroof is great IMO. i have a 15' with every option for that year and i would do it any other way. Good luck!

Another thing to consider: I believe it was 2016 that the ST motor with the redesigned head / cooling system components to prevent overheating and head warpage. Also 2016 is when the sync 3 stereo was introduced with CarPlay and android auto. These were big factors in my getting a ‘17

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
They did NOT revise the Cylinder head/Cooling system at all as far as I can remember. It comes down to Overheating the Siamese block style engine. Fomoco solution was to install a coolant sensor to aid in the car NOT overheating by alerting the driver before it can happen on the 1.6L ecoboost

The short answer is whether or not you want 1) Recaro Seats 2) Sunroof
I would say: 1)Yes for the Recaro seats
2) No to the sunroof.

There is no limited slip option unless you buy and install an aftermarket one yourself
Make sure to test drive... I really wanted the Recaros, but couldn't find a comfortable driving position.

Since I didn't plan to track my little beast, I ordered it new from the factory with the sunroof ... wish I hadn't - the position is too far back on top so you don't really get that "open" feeling. I had an old Honda Prelude once - with its standard large sunroof, it almost felt like I was riding in a convertible, lol.

As a newish owner, I started regretting the Recaro option on the way home from purchase. What initially felt really snug and supportive during a short test drive quickly switched to feeling confining on the long drive home. BUT they do "break in" as you spend some time in them. It's probably 50% getting used to the feeling and 50% the seats eventually conforming to your body shape, but now I'm sold on them. I'm not say get them or don't, I'm just saying don't run from an otherwise good purchase because it HAS them. Important note: I suspect they may never be comfortable if you are a . . . "large framed individual". I'm 6'2" and about 200 lbs for reference.

They did NOT revise the Cylinder head/Cooling system at all as far as I can remember. It comes down to Overheating the Siamese block style engine. Fomoco solution was to install a coolant sensor to aid in the car NOT overheating by alerting the driver before it can happen on the 1.6L ecoboost
I thought this was the warranty band-aid fix? Then an actual running change was made with 2016 and up?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I thought this was the warranty band-aid fix? Then an actual running change was made with 2016 and up?
That was my understanding also, that starting with the 2016 model year there was a new head with a new part number which fixed the issue.The fact that the cars from "16 on were not covered by the recall would support that, I believe.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That was my understanding also, that starting with the 2016 model year there was a new head with a new part number which fixed the issue.The fact that the cars from "16 on were not covered by the recall would support that, I believe.
The head's weren't the problem its the open deck that is the issue* When it over heats it cracks the heads as with just about any Aluminum head. Open deck heads weren't really made to be boosted in the first place. This is Fomoco we are talking about here also

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Some like the Recaro Lites in the ST. We did not after having full Recaros on 2 other cars. No adjustable front bolster, no sale for us. As to sunroof I love mine. Get what you want not what other people think you should have. We love the stock seat for our 4-8K road trips annually. Watch for early wear on the Recaros The 16 up came with the new heads. Stay away from 14 & 15's. The fix was a NHTSA approved band-aid. If you buy a non Nav 16 make sure the Sync 3 has been upgraded to new unit, Ford could not update the Non-Nav Sync 3 systems and changed them out under warranty.

OP
R

R4Racin

Thread Starter #17
Wow. Thanks for the great responses.
I am looking for opinions and options so I can weed through and get one that works best for me.
I will probably opt for the sunroof. It raises the center of gravity because the glass adds weight up top but I have been saved from a scolding or two because I could look up and see the plane/helicopter.
I like a snug fit seat but the recaros in another car I had were not a good fit so it is a toss up until I sit in one.
I didn't think there was an LS option. My guess is that in the 2 ads I have seen them mentioned, they were talking about the ESC.
Hadn't thought of the back-up camera. Definitely want one. "What is behind me, does not matter!" I am looking for a low mileage 2018 or 2019 so that should take care of itself.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I am looking for opinions and options so I can weed through and get one that works best for me.
I will probably opt for the sunroof. It raises the center of gravity because the glass adds weight up top but I have been saved from a scolding or two because I could look up and see the plane/helicopter.
I like a snug fit seat but the recaros in another car I had were not a good fit so it is a toss up until I sit in one.
I didn't think there was an LS option. My guess is that in the 2 ads I have seen them mentioned, they were talking about the ESC.
Hadn't thought of the back-up camera. Definitely want one. "What is behind me, does not matter!" I am looking for a low mileage 2018 or 2019 so that should take care of itself.
You can also add an aftermarket back up camera, so if you find a nice 2017, I wouldn't not get it just because it lacks a camera.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
A fair number of people have added an LSD, so you will see them out there. But it is correct that they were never offered as an option from the factory in the US.