Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Woosh Hyrbid or S280..

Currently I'm running a Dizzy Stage 2 91 tune with the corresponding mods (FMIC, Spark Plugs, Drop-in Filter, RMM, and an MBRP exhaust.) I have a catless dp on the way, comes in tuesday... but anyways, I'm wanting to go BT soon, I've noticed a couple options but I'm between S280 or Woosh Hybrid. Sorry if this is redundant or anything just looking to weigh my options. Let me know what you think.

@Jcarter446 i suggest you read through the whoosh hybrid and S280 threads to form your own opinions

edit: here's a good thread to get you started Whoosh hybrid turbo or TT S280 turbo? | Fiesta ST Forum
you *might* get some direct replies but asking questions without doing research beforehand can rub people the wrong way on this forum. i'm not judging one way or the other but i definitely suggest reading up as much as you can and then asking specific questions you couldn't find answers to on existing posts/threads. most tuners/builders here don't like repeating themselves and everything you're probably wondering has already been answered many times.

oh is there separate forums? Sorry bout that
yes, there is an S280 thread, a whoosh hybrid thread, and as i shared, even an s280 vs whoosh hybrid thread. there are also many offshoots of those threads like build threads, mod threads, etc.

pro top: it's actually a lot easier to use google/bing/safari/etc for your fiestastforum searches instead of the native search engine here

OP
Jcarter446
Thread Starter #5
yes, there is an S280 thread, a whoosh hybrid thread, and as i shared, even an s280 vs whoosh hybrid thread. there are also many offshoots of those threads like build threads, mod threads, etc.

pro top: it's actually a lot easier to use google/bing/safari/etc for your fiestastforum searches instead of the native search engine here
ahhh okay yeah that was an issue i was having. Thanks so much, will be doing a quick google search!

If you ever plan on doing any fueling upgrades, the s280 is the ticket. If you're going to stay stock fuel I'd probably go with the hybrid. The hybrid at max steam will make around 330-340whp and the s280 is capable of the 400whp mark. I've had both turbos and both are a ton of fun.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
All you need to know.....(not really)
off-the-line speed - Whoosh
mid-high rpm/speed and more of it - S280

If you ever plan on doing any fueling upgrades, the s280 is the ticket. If you're going to stay stock fuel I'd probably go with the hybrid. The hybrid at max steam will make around 330-340whp and the s280 is capable of the 400whp mark. I've had both turbos and both are a ton of fun.
The Hybrids can do 330-340 without fuel upgrades? On Ethanol or race gas? If you had to choose for point and squirt fun and remaining on the stock motor, which would you choose being as you have pushed both turbos to the limits? One of my favorite things is to not have to downshift when I'm lazy and having that big torque at 2500rpm is a plus for me. I was reevaluating my goals with this platform and think I want to keep the fun spool characteristic of the stock turbo with some added whp the stock turbo can't deliver. Looking for everyday beat on it reliability.

You think the high revs had more to do with your rod failure or the power? With a hybrid you would really rev as high since it chokes out earlier I suppose.

The Hybrids can do 330-340 without fuel upgrades? On Ethanol or race gas? If you had to choose for point and squirt fun and remaining on the stock motor, which would you choose being as you have pushed both turbos to the limits? One of my favorite things is to not have to downshift when I'm lazy and having that big torque at 2500rpm is a plus for me. I was reevaluating my goals with this platform and think I want to keep the fun spool characteristic of the stock turbo with some added whp the stock turbo can't deliver. Looking for everyday beat on it reliability.

You think the high revs had more to do with your rod failure or the power? With a hybrid you would really rev as high since it chokes out earlier I suppose.
@MO15Fiesta is saying that if you max out everything on a Fiesta's fuel system (uprated injectors + uprated HPFP or aux fuel. either aftermarket fuel upgrade running some ethanol blend or race gas) you can get 330-340WHP on a hybrid but can get up to 380-400WHP on an S280

and i'm not sure if asking the serious builders like MO15 about these differences is the best audience. these guys are coming from all different directions with their perspectives and "every day reliability" is a term that gets left well behind if you're talking to people who are switching turbos out to gain an edge/find the differences between platforms.

there are builders who swear hybrids are a compromised platform from the start because of how small they are and how much heat they generate to produce this kind of power and that big turbos are more reliable. then you have other builders who think journal bearing turbos are compromised, full stop (the S280 is a "big turbo" journal bearing turbo) and if you want true reliability you need to go ball bearing turbo (Garrett turbo). Then you get push back that the hybrid platform is what the Fiesta is designed to use and that journal bearing turbos are designed for small displacement engines so it's actually *more reliable* since it's been engineered for this specific purpose.

and that's just the reliability discussion. drivability is a whole different discussion where some say hybrids create too much low end torque so all you're going to do is roast tires and then others talk about pedal modulation and that hybrids are the best every day-highway passing-power when you need it platform.

edit: as for climbing the ladder, that's up to your tuner just as much as any advice you'll get here. i think most tuners set the redline at 7K regardless of turbo but will up it to 7.5K or higher if you have a big turbo and you're good with really pushing the limits of the engine. all i know is hybrids can hang in the upper revs no problem. they might not be building more power up there but they're not running out of breadth either like the stock turbo

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Ive seen a few videos of the torque curve of an X47 vs stock turbo and the hybrids will pull higher into the rpm range than the stocker so you do get a decent improvement there as well albeit not as much as the S280 will do. I chose to go with a whoosh hybrid because I tool around in the car on the weekends and do not track or race or any of that more serious stuff. Just running 93 and E30 tunes with an intercooler and panel filter, mounts, bracing and lighter wheels really woke the car up. Cant wait to see what the hybrid will be like. I dont trust anyone to install it yet though and doing it in my driveway well....im not excited about that either, sigh been sitting on it for a year and a half now...

For point and go you can't beat the hybrid. But the s280 is only 100-200rpm later in spool. Both are fantastic pieces. I think my failure was purely horsepower related. I'm not sure that the higher RPM's had any effect on it.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Ive seen a few videos of the torque curve of an X47 vs stock turbo and the hybrids will pull higher into the rpm range than the stocker so you do get a decent improvement there as well albeit not as much as the S280 will do. I chose to go with a whoosh hybrid because I tool around in the car on the weekends and do not track or race or any of that more serious stuff. Just running 93 and E30 tunes with an intercooler and panel filter, mounts, bracing and lighter wheels really woke the car up. Cant wait to see what the hybrid will be like. I dont trust anyone to install it yet though and doing it in my driveway well....im not excited about that either, sigh been sitting on it for a year and a half now...
If I go hybrid, I'm lucky I can trust a shop here in NoVA. They did the LSD. Ptuning. I can't be bothered for that task though. I have so many home improvement projects to finish, or start and finish in the next few years. Not one trust-worthy performance shop up that way?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I go hybrid, I'm lucky I can trust a shop here in NoVA. They did the LSD. Ptuning. I can't be bothered for that task though. I have so many home improvement projects to finish, or start and finish in the next few years. Not one trust-worthy performance shop up that way?
Sadly, there are not.

The one closest to akiraproject24 is RT Tuning in Montgomeryville, Pa. and they totally screwed up an S280 install (as confirmed by Ron @whoosh), on a customer's FiST years ago. [:(]

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Sadly, there are not.

The one closest to akiraproject24 is RT Tuning in Montgomeryville, Pa. and they totally screwed up an S280 install (as confirmed by Ron @whoosh), on a customer's FiST years ago. [:(]
OUCH!

Schedule at Ptuning and do an overnight airbnb. They do have a dyno too. They have done multiple LSD's and turbos on FiST's and FoST's.

Strictly by appointment only.
  • Turbo & supercharger
  • Clutch, flywheel & LSD
  • Motor swap & built motor
  • Auto to Manual transmission swap
  • Springs, shocks & coilovers
  • Air intake system
  • Brakes & big brake kit
  • Gauges & electronics
  • Methanol, E85 & flex fuel
  • Race preparation
  • Custom fabrication & welding

dhminer

2000 Post Club
OUCH!

Schedule at Ptuning and do an overnight airbnb. They do have a dyno too. They have done multiple LSD's and turbos on FiST's and FoST's.

Strictly by appointment only.
  • Turbo & supercharger
  • Clutch, flywheel & LSD
  • Motor swap & built motor
  • Auto to Manual transmission swap
  • Springs, shocks & coilovers
  • Air intake system
  • Brakes & big brake kit
  • Gauges & electronics
  • Methanol, E85 & flex fuel
  • Race preparation
  • Custom fabrication & welding
Other plus side is Westley is close enough meet you there and live dyno tune with his new tuning software if you ask him to!