Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Would the Fiesta ST see a second generation?

Would the Fiesta ST see a second generation?

• Yes

Votes: 63 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I do hope both the Fiesta ST and Focus ST continue to do well, however seeing how dealers are heavily discounting both does make you wonder about it's future.

OP
rooSTer

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Lots of uncertainty in the poll results haha.

I have been checking dealer inventories of the FiST....there are quite a few out there....and they are sitting too long on the dealers lot. So the dealers are not going to order them for stock. And only a minority of buyers are willing to wait 60-90 days for an ordered car. The ST is a very niche vehicle. And it gets expensive relative to cars such as the GTI once you add the Recaro's and other options. Europe may see another generation but I don't know about the U.S. Americans are still a bit anti-hatchback and anti- small car. I read the other day that the Fiesta is the 4th best selling car globally but it has not sold that well in America. The ST is a special car...American drivers are missing out...their loss. We are lucky to have now....I fear model year 2015 may be the last of it here.......

Considering the ST is getting a global rollout, I'm sure the combined sales will create a business case for it--at least as a tip of the hat from Ford to their enthusiast customers.

And it gets expensive relative to cars such as the GTI once you add the Recaro's and other options.
I dont really understand how you can say that... I paid $24k OTD for mine with Recaro's, Nav, and a sunroof. A comperable GTI is $30k. The STARTING price of a GTI is 24k.

Perry

I dunno what the national trends re FiST sales are, but I've paid some attention to the KC area. When I got mine, there were three STs in the entire metro area, none on hand for longer than a couple weeks at that point. At last check, a few days ago, there were four in the metro, and none had same stickers as the three I saw a month earlier. Several dealers have none. Considering that US sales are predicted to be 5-10K over the first year, and that Ford is doing no advertising to speak of, I think the evidence suggests sales are probably near targets.

A big plus is cost. All the competing vehicles cost as much or more for the base vehicle as the FiST loaded. In most cases, the difference is several thousand dollars, at least by MSRP. Given that everyone from Top Gear to Car & Driver to the Wall Street Journal give the thing great reviews and call it a great buy, I have a hard time imagining why Ford would view the FiST as anything less than a success. If it does as well in the sports niches as it appears it might, then it could well hang about for years, though it will never be a volume leader--it is admittedly a niche vehicle, but highly praised and with a great halo effect on the Ford emblem.

Unless any of us are setting in the executive suites in Dearborn or a member of the Board, there is no way to know how long the ST's will be in production. I think the chances are good ST life-cycle... as long as Ford holds onto the One Ford concept and the ST's (and RS's) sell in the rest of world...especially in Europe. High performance models and trim levels don't last forever (except maybe for Corvette's and Mustangs for the domestic companies), but I hope they can serve as a "stepping stone" to newer and better high performance models/trim levels. Let's face it, much of the younger gen's are showing us they just are not interested in high performance cars (do a web search for some of the research to support this point) which may make it more difficult to build a business for future ST's. I for one am applauding those car companies that make the case to produce low volume performance cars. I lived through the "good times" of the muscle car era and until the ST's were introduced, thought I would never see the day you could buy a new one again (yep...our ST's are just as exciting as those muscle cars I bought new back in the day).

So, take advantage of the good times and enjoy your Fiesta ST now (or a Focus ST if that's your pick)...even if the good times have an expiration date.
Sorry, but this is crap. I'm under 30, and like most people my age and younger, what keeps us out of performance cars isn't that we're not interested in driving, or performance. It's that we're broke. Crushing college loans, staggering youth unemployment that is much, much higher than the national average, That means that most of us can't afford model-year new cars, much less a performance spec car. The result is most of us youngins' who are into performance buy cheap, ratted-out 90s Japanese idols like the S-chassis, Zed, and the like. Why? They're dirt cheap, and really, often far more thrilling than most anything under $40k new. The truth is... us under 30s? We don't care about the Mustang, the Challenger, Camaro, etc. Yeah. There are some Millennials (I hate that term...so much) who like muscle. Hell, I kind of like vintage muscle. But that is a much smaller segment compared to those of us who grew up idolizing cars that were winning the horsepower (and handling, don't forget handling) wars of the late 80s through the 90s and early 2000s. Those cars? They were from Japan. Now, a bunch of them are available for cheap. Maybe not mint--you won't find a fourth generation Toyota Supra RZ in the bargain bin, and you won't ever again unless it's a salvage--but you'll find an FC3S RX7, middle generation MR2 turbo, plenty of 240SXes and scads upon scads of non-turbo 300ZX begging for a strip-job or engine swap. If you're adventurous, you may even buy a EG or EK generation Civic hatchback and begin the laborious process of buying CTR parts and crying in your garage about how difficult they are to retrofit.

With the era of cheap gas over, and a sudden (but not particularly effective) panic over being kind to the environment (not to mention heavy safety features), most cars available to us new are slow, boring, and designed mainly for cheap commuting. You want a balls-out fun ride that'll hang its tail out? That'll be a minimum of 26 grand. For some, living at home, with few bills and parents that can cosign for that 0% loan, that's easy. You see those kids in STis and Genesis R-Specs, and even Mustang GT Track Pack cars sometimes. You see them in 370Z Sport or NISMO editions. But most of us? We're working on that beat-up E46 or S13. Hell, I considered restoring an '88 Scirocco 16V (I could have bought it for $900 when it was actually about $2500 of non-running spare parts)... Let that sink in for a moment.

We're interested in high-performance, just like you. The difference is, the people before us crashed the economy, and we're paying the price. When we're 45 and have the better-paying jobs (probably only after the boomers have sloughed it off into retirement homes and gated communities in Boca), we'll be the ones driving the Cayman Ses, 911s, AMG mercs, top trim Shelbys, 'vettes, or even something as simple as a Golf R--which when spec'd with anything, becomes a $40,000 proposition. We're putting off, for the most part, having the new performance vehicle. Why? Most of us are more concerned with putting food in our bellies, paying off that (apparently useless) education our balding guidance counselors told us would get us the jobs, and making rent.

I hope the FiST gets a few good years of production. I love mine, and it's the reason I'm able to afford a new, under-warranty performance vehicle today instead of driving a Scirocco 16V I have 4 different (probably busted) hatches for, or a matte black vinyl-wrap mistake of a 240SX I bought off of some guy with an 'illest' tee-shirt.

I really hope production is no more than 3 years because I want my car to stand out and hold value. We finally have a fast ford to brag about. Sorry, I did not like the Focus SVT, Contour SVT, Saleen Focus, and others that had come out. Those are all junk by now. I might be one of the few people who is going to leave the stock wheels on because I think they look good and make the car stand out. Its one of the identifying features of the ST.

If my metro area is any sort of indication of sales for the FiST I have only seen one rolling around. The dealers that got them here still have the same stock as they did last year. They are selling a ton of FoSTs but the FiSTs don't seem to be moving. I am 100% ok with that.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Sorry, but this is crap. I'm under 30, and like most people my age and younger, what keeps us out of performance cars isn't that we're not interested in driving, or performance. It's that we're broke. Crushing college loans, staggering youth unemployment that is much, much higher than the national average, That means that most of us can't afford model-year new cars, much less a performance spec car. The result is most of us youngins' who are into performance buy cheap, ratted-out 90s Japanese idols like the S-chassis, Zed, and the like. Why? They're dirt cheap, and really, often far more thrilling than most anything under $40k new. The truth is... us under 30s? We don't care about the Mustang, the Challenger, Camaro, etc. Yeah. There are some Millennials (I hate that term...so much) who like muscle. Hell, I kind of like vintage muscle. But that is a much smaller segment compared to those of us who grew up idolizing cars that were winning the horsepower (and handling, don't forget handling) wars of the late 80s through the 90s and early 2000s. Those cars? They were from Japan. Now, a bunch of them are available for cheap. Maybe not mint--you won't find a fourth generation Toyota Supra RZ in the bargain bin, and you won't ever again unless it's a salvage--but you'll find an FC3S RX7, middle generation MR2 turbo, plenty of 240SXes and scads upon scads of non-turbo 300ZX begging for a strip-job or engine swap. If you're adventurous, you may even buy a EG or EK generation Civic hatchback and begin the laborious process of buying CTR parts and crying in your garage about how difficult they are to retrofit.

With the era of cheap gas over, and a sudden (but not particularly effective) panic over being kind to the environment (not to mention heavy safety features), most cars available to us new are slow, boring, and designed mainly for cheap commuting. You want a balls-out fun ride that'll hang its tail out? That'll be a minimum of 26 grand. For some, living at home, with few bills and parents that can cosign for that 0% loan, that's easy. You see those kids in STis and Genesis R-Specs, and even Mustang GT Track Pack cars sometimes. You see them in 370Z Sport or NISMO editions. But most of us? We're working on that beat-up E46 or S13. Hell, I considered restoring an '88 Scirocco 16V (I could have bought it for $900 when it was actually about $2500 of non-running spare parts)... Let that sink in for a moment.

We're interested in high-performance, just like you. The difference is, the people before us crashed the economy, and we're paying the price. When we're 45 and have the better-paying jobs (probably only after the boomers have sloughed it off into retirement homes and gated communities in Boca), we'll be the ones driving the Cayman Ses, 911s, AMG mercs, top trim Shelbys, 'vettes, or even something as simple as a Golf R--which when spec'd with anything, becomes a $40,000 proposition. We're putting off, for the most part, having the new performance vehicle. Why? Most of us are more concerned with putting food in our bellies, paying off that (apparently useless) education our balding guidance counselors told us would get us the jobs, and
I agree with every single word of this.... 5 years ago me, would kill today-me. $24k on a fiesta !!? How is it even possible to make a fiesta that expensive !?

Never would have thought in 2001 that to get a shitbox it would cost $30k basicly, even if comes with a turbocharger ( all be it a tiny 1.6L).

Look at a " normal car" a nice shitbox altima, fusion, or like type car is $30k and dull as a butter knife. Cheapest real speed is a 5.0L stang. And even gutted, its basicly $30+k. And that's before you look at tire cost, insurance cost, and fuel cost.

The difference in wages in the country if far worse than people with money realize.

CanadianST

Let's face it, much of the younger gen's are showing us they just are not interested in high performance cars

We're interested in high-performance, just like you. The difference is, the people before us crashed the economy, and we're paying the price. When we're 45 and have the better-paying jobs (probably only after the boomers have sloughed it off into retirement homes and gated communities in Boca), we'll be the ones driving the Cayman Ses, 911s, AMG mercs, top trim Shelbys, 'vettes, or even something as simple as a Golf R--which when spec'd with anything, becomes a $40,000 proposition. We're putting off, for the most part, having the new performance vehicle. Why? Most of us are more concerned with putting food in our bellies, paying off that (apparently useless) education our balding guidance counselors told us would get us the jobs, and making rent.

I hope the FiST gets a few good years of production. I love mine, and it's the reason I'm able to afford a new, under-warranty performance vehicle today instead of driving a Scirocco 16V I have 4 different (probably busted) hatches for, or a matte black vinyl-wrap mistake of a 240SX I bought off of some guy with an 'illest' tee-shirt.
I have to agree with pretty much everything said here. I'm 20 and most of my friends are very interested in high performance cars but just don't have the money for a new off the lot vehicle. Most of them are driving things like a 240sx, civic, integra, and the like and put a lot of their extra money into them. They mostly all go to university and thus have crazy loans to pay back but if they had the money they'd probably have a newer car. I lucked out and found a very well paying job that I don't require post secondary education for so I'm one of the few that can afford a new one without the help of mommy and daddy.

The vast majority of younger people today are doing the exact same things their fathers did back when they were young, Buy a used car for next to nothing and do what they can to make it unique. It seems like we're not into cars because we don't drive something with a big v8 in it and that's the older generation's idea of "into cars". I had to fight with my dad for some time before he'd even go for a ride in my FiST because it's not his idea of a cool car. "It's a fwd 4 cylinder" is all he'd say then grumble "there's no replacment for displacment" and go on about how his old Fairlane or Charger was a real car. The amount of older guys that outright laugh at my car and say it better be my girlfriend's is crazy, once they know it's not a V8 and not RWD well they don't care.

Moral of the story is times are different and just because we don't like the cars or technology of yesteryear doesn't mean we aren't gear heads too. That being said I kinda fall into a weird category that love both but in reality can't afford an old muscle car.

This pretty much shares my opinion in a much better written out and explained way lol
http://riiprojects.wordpress.com/2014/03/29/hot-rodding-never-died-you-just-got-old/

I really hope production is no more than 3 years because I want my car to stand out and hold value.
Ford has been manufacturing the Fiesta ST since about 2004. Thats 11 years. The certainly aren't going to stop anytime soon.

It'll definitely carry on for years to come. This is the seventh generation Fiesta, and pretty much all have had a go-fast (either ST and/or RS) version. No question they'll continue with it...

As geoffyb said, they are talking about in the US. We haven't had all these awesome cares you overseas folk get

dyn085

2000 Post Club
As geoffyb said, they are talking about in the US. We haven't had all these awesome cares you overseas folk get
Exactly, and the main reason is that as a country we don't need them. Insert political argument, but we don't have to pay as much in fuel costs as many other countries so the demand just isn't there as much as it could be. Not that they don't sell at all, just that they probably won't sell enough to be worthy of continued production.

I don't see the FiST lasting more than a few years. I think the FoST will push through, and maybe we'll see a Focus RS for a few years as well. Just my opinion with zero actual data to back it up.

LT Berzerker

I think what killed off the SVTF was the SRT4, and outside of the cooper S there is no other direct competition to the FiST. In the USA anyways. Unfortunately, in the states there is a some sole obsession with straight line speed... While that can be and is fun, real fun is a mixture of straight lines between turns :). The Fiesta is in a perfect place for folks like myself that have one or two kids, single income, decent job (40 to 60k) with debt and want a car that does everything well, and is fun/not boring to drive.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of fat Americans who just plain don't fit in this car comfortably.

On a final note, being a car person means you can appreciate performance & design in any auto design that's well put together... And aren't close minded... The rest are posers