Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wrongwheeldrive's Budget Build

As the name suggests I LOVE a good deal and looked for value in mods whenever I could. I purchased my Oxford White FiST in May of 2014. I Pitted 8 dealers off each other and got a $26,500 sticker price down to $22K even. To date I have logged 35K miles on the car and done moderate modification. I tried to be as honest in my reviews as I could. Not everything was worth the time or money, but most mods have been great. Before I get into it a quick shout out to this forum, it's pretty much the only one I am on. Tried all the Fiesta ST forums in the beginning, this place rocks!

COBB RMM – I didn’t notice I needed one of these until a buddy drove the car. He is a GTI guy and really worked the FiST. The engine hitting the firewall was loud and unnerving. This is easy to install and works great. Expect 500-100 miles of break in. After almost 30K there are hardly any vibration coming through the shifter. Install Difficulty: 2/10

Accessport – Everyone with a FiST needs one of these. The gauges alone are worth the price. Ran COBB OTS stage 1 until I went with a Tune+ Tune from Adam. More on this later. Install Difficulty: 1/10

High flow "green" air filter – I think I got this in a package with the AP3. I don’t know how much it does but hey, why not! Install Difficulty: 1/10

Boomba BOV adapter – This thing is the best cheap mod. Just buy one. It helps you understand when boost is released and in my opinion makes you a better driver. It is also loud. It sounds just like the air brakes on a semi or a Metro bus kneeling. Not as refined as the Turbosmart, but about $200 cheaper. That Boomba shipping cost though! Install Difficulty: 4/10

Tow Hitch – I have a lot of hobbies. With a tow hitch on the FiST I can hook up my bike rack, pull my 14’ Lido sail boat around, or hit the track/desert with my small dirtbike trailer. Kind of a bitch to install solo, but doable. I bet I could pull a pretty heavy trailer with the torque this thing has! Install Difficulty: 6/10 (solo)

COBB Exhaust Hangers – Had to get these as my exhaust kept bumping my trailer hitch when turning hard or driving on rough road. Fixed the issue. Use WD-40 when getting the OEM hangers off, it will save you a lot of time! Install Difficulty: 3/10 (getting the old ones off!!)

NoPiston Dead Pedal – This thing is slick. Taped some red vinyl to the back for a nice red ST logo showing through. Looks great and really finishes off the bottom cockpit. Install Difficulty: 1/10

Around 10,000 miles, my transmission started feeling a bit rough. I made the following modifications in an attempt to smooth out shifting. Nothing worked.

Boomba Cable Bracket Bushings – Didn’t make a difference anywhere. Install Difficulty: 4/10

Boomba Transmission Adapter Plate – This is a pretty cool mod. Does its job, shortens the shift throw by a good amount. Much cheaper than short throw shifter. Install Difficulty: 4/10

Mutol 300 Gear Oil – This stuff is expensive. I don’t think it did anything for me either... Shifts felt exactly the same. Others will tell you it really smooths things out… either placebo effect kicked in or they live somewhere with a more extreme temperature range than me (SoCal). Install Difficulty: 3/10

One of my main complaints with the FiST is the surging and electric boost release. I made the following modifications to remedy this issue. Let me tell you, it was a journey.

Mishimoto J-Line Intercooler – I purchased the kit from ModBargains, CMBuildz bracket. This intercooler takes some DIY skill to install. It is waayyy bigger than the stock piece and quite a bit heavier. I had to dremel out some of my bumper to get it to fit nicely. Once on, you can run more aggressive tunes. I mentioned this IC is heavy. It’s about 4-5x heavier than stock, I am guessing 20lbs compared to 4lbs for the stock piece. I was a bit nervous about this at first but I found that adding 15 lbs to the VERY FRONT of the car changed the way it handled and accelerated for the better. As the FiST is front wheel drive, adding weight forward of the front tires has helped quite a bit with traction. I simply do not lose grip as much. The car feels more planted and a bit more refined too. My only concern with this IC is that it is not direct mount and I know the front bumper is stretched a few mm past what I would have liked. But to save ~$300 I was game. Had funds permitted and I did it all over again, I probably would have gone with a direct mount IC. But I am happy! Install Difficulty: 6/10

Tune + Turbosmart Wastegate Actuator - I was told in the master thread this product would stop my surging issues. With the aftermarket WGA and the heavier custom spring Adam put in it the car can hold higher boost at higher RPM’s than stock. Installing this thing was a bitch, plain and simple. You have to disconnect the heatshield and finagle around under it getting the stock one out and putting the new one in. Actually installing the WGA is easy, but that heatshield was almost the death of me. I had to leave for my sanity’s sake and come back the next day to finish. NOTE: The testing for this product was done on Adam’s 2015 Fiesta ST. Apparently the stock wastegate tables changed from 2014-15. Because of this, I would not suggest this mod for anyone with a 2014. Once installed and Tune + tune was loaded I took it out for a spin. The factory BPV was releasing at very low boost. It would hold boost up high all day but for normal accelerations the WGA would open at low boost and STAY OPEN until I either backed off or gave it more throttle. Since I had a Boomba BOV the car became embarrassingly loud to drive. The only way to get around it was to either lead foot everywhere OR short shift and try not to accelerate with boost. It was pretty miserable. To Adam at Tune+ credit, he worked with me to try different solutions and we finally got it figured out with a mechanical BOV from Turbosmart. Would I do it all over again? Probably not. The install was a huge bitch and the WGA made the one problem it was supposed to fix much worse. That being said I rue the day I have to take this thing off and battle that heat shield again, it’s staying put for now! **Please note that this is only an issue on 2014 FiSTs** Install Difficulty: 8/10

Turbosmart Shortie Kompact BOV – Because we couldn’t control the wastegate at low boost on my 2014, Adam suggested we try a mechanical BOV. Install was easy. Same as the Boomba piece, just a couple extra steps installing a vacuum line in between the MAP sensor and intake. Because this is a 2 stage BOV, the first half of the valve-cycle vents air back into the intake (same as the stock BPV does). As the valve opens more the rest of the air is released to atmosphere. It’s a different sound than the Boomba piece, but not terribly different coming off heavy throttle. After a year and a half with the LOUD Boomba piece it is a nice change. All I know is that this thing FINALLY cured the partial throttle boost release issue I have dealt with since getting the car. Boost comes on noticibly quicker than stock and holds until you are off the throttle. I love it, and I would suggest you get one. The total boost control helps you feel more connected to the car, and it makes a rad purring sound. Install Difficulty: 4/10

Tune+ Tune – I never had plans to get a custom tune. The car stock was a lot of fun. I figured because COBB stage 1 was not much difference from stock except for removing the annoying torque truncation, a custom tune would be just as unnoticeable. Boy was I wrong! I bought a tune in order to cure surging issues. If the tune did only that I would have been happy. Little did I know the potential this car has tune. It is a freakin rocket ship now. It took 5 or 6 logs to get things dialed in. The car pulls HARD from the moment boost comes on until redline. There is no more need to downshift in 6th to pass, just jump on the throttle and you’ll get pushed back into your seat as the world passes by. Adam’s tune is incredible. Adam was great to work with. He answered my questions and was good about getting me revised tunes every morning after I sent a log. I called him and we chatted about the BPV issues I was having. He knows his stuff and his EcoBoost engines. I can finally say that thanks to him and Tune+, the car has exceeded my expectations.

I was planning on cooling off on mods for a while buy a buddy of mine just bought a 3D printer and made me a pedal spacer (waiting on those coupling bolts, tried 8 stores, finally found some on eBay).

I am also ordering pierce bracing in the next week or two. I will of course report back! Thanks for reading.

If you have any questions let me know I'm happy to oblige. As you can imagine the car looks just how I want it, AKA more or less stock. I'll post a pic of me pulling my sailboat when I get a chance, it looks pretty hilarious.

-WWD (Peter)

jeff

2000 Post Club
Great build thread! It is nice to see others enjoying the same mods as I am. We have a very similar setup.

I got my final revision from Mr. Brunson a couple of weeks ago and I am also very happy. You said it well - worth every penny.

Did you notice any performance difference with the WGA upgrade aside from it curing your surging issues? I thought of getting one because it supposedly brought a few HP but decided against it. Been there done that with those types of installs, I'd rather do other things than get do that "near death of me" place. You do enough of those (I've done many on other cars) and you no longer care for a few HP gain. But props to you bro!

Thanks for the honest reviews too. I used Motul gear oil on a car few years ago, and it was the same, no difference to me though others swore by it.

You will love the Pierce braces - if you haven't read my review, they made a huge difference with traction. Even with Adam's tune (vdyno on my car is 220s/290s) I have 95% traction.

Again great to hear someone enjoying this car with stock turbo, since I joined it seems all the hoopla is about going big turbo but I'm very happy with the car as is, as you seem to be.

OP
wrongwheeldrive
Thread Starter #4
Great build thread! It is nice to see others enjoying the same mods as I am. We have a very similar setup.

I got my final revision from Mr. Brunson a couple of weeks ago and I am also very happy. You said it well - worth every penny.

Did you notice any performance difference with the WGA upgrade aside from it curing your surging issues? I thought of getting one because it supposedly brought a few HP but decided against it. Been there done that with those types of installs, I'd rather do other things than get do that "near death of me" place. You do enough of those (I've done many on other cars) and you no longer care for a few HP gain. But props to you bro!

Thanks for the honest reviews too. I used Motul gear oil on a car few years ago, and it was the same, no difference to me though others swore by it.

You will love the Pierce braces - if you haven't read my review, they made a huge difference with traction. Even with Adam's tune (vdyno on my car is 220s/290s) I have 95% traction.

Again great to hear someone enjoying this car with stock turbo, since I joined it seems all the hoopla is about going big turbo but I'm very happy with the car as is, as you seem to be.
Thanks! I would advise against the WGA purely for install difficulty. It didn't solve my surging issue like I had hoped and I don't run around WOT in high RPM's, the mechanical BOV solved the surging. Seriously that Turbosmart BOV is probably my favorite mod. YOU decide when to release boost NOT your ecu.

Can't decide between pierce street or track... Is a 4 point and strut brace necessary? Probably. #becauseracecar

I'd be curious to hear what that new BOV sounds like.
I'll get a video up soon. It's impossible to describe! It makes different noises at all stages of boost release.

I have similar mods to yours, just adding the Pierce street kit with two point brace, torsion bar, and strut tower brace. Most people seem to say stay with the two point or go to the full six point, depending upon how serious you plan to get. I like mine just fine for agrgessive street driving, more neutral and some nice four wheel drift rather than over/understeer.

I also have a Curt hitch, and yeah, definitely a nice addon. I use it with a bike rack, very happy with it. The MBRP catback has no muffler in that space, so it made install pretty much cake.

antarctica24

As the name suggests I LOVE a good deal and looked for value in mods whenever I could. I purchased my Oxford White FiST in May of 2014. I Pitted 8 dealers off each other and got a $26,500 sticker price down to $22K even. To date I have logged 35K miles on the car and done moderate modification. I tried to be as honest in my reviews as I could. Not everything was worth the time or money, but most mods have been great. Before I get into it a quick shout out to this forum, it's pretty much the only one I am on. Tried all the Fiesta ST forums in the beginning, this place rocks!

COBB RMM – I didn’t notice I needed one of these until a buddy drove the car. He is a GTI guy and really worked the FiST. The engine hitting the firewall was loud and unnerving. This is easy to install and works great. Expect 500-100 miles of break in. After almost 30K there are hardly any vibration coming through the shifter. Install Difficulty: 2/10

Accessport – Everyone with a FiST needs one of these. The gauges alone are worth the price. Ran COBB OTS stage 1 until I went with a Tune+ Tune from Adam. More on this later. Install Difficulty: 1/10

High flow "green" air filter – I think I got this in a package with the AP3. I don’t know how much it does but hey, why not! Install Difficulty: 1/10

Boomba BOV adapter – This thing is the best cheap mod. Just buy one. It helps you understand when boost is released and in my opinion makes you a better driver. It is also loud. It sounds just like the air brakes on a semi or a Metro bus kneeling. Not as refined as the Turbosmart, but about $200 cheaper. That Boomba shipping cost though! Install Difficulty: 4/10

Tow Hitch – I have a lot of hobbies. With a tow hitch on the FiST I can hook up my bike rack, pull my 14’ Lido sail boat around, or hit the track/desert with my small dirtbike trailer. Kind of a bitch to install solo, but doable. I bet I could pull a pretty heavy trailer with the torque this thing has! Install Difficulty: 6/10 (solo)

COBB Exhaust Hangers – Had to get these as my exhaust kept bumping my trailer hitch when turning hard or driving on rough road. Fixed the issue. Use WD-40 when getting the OEM hangers off, it will save you a lot of time! Install Difficulty: 3/10 (getting the old ones off!!)

NoPiston Dead Pedal – This thing is slick. Taped some red vinyl to the back for a nice red ST logo showing through. Looks great and really finishes off the bottom cockpit. Install Difficulty: 1/10

Around 10,000 miles, my transmission started feeling a bit rough. I made the following modifications in an attempt to smooth out shifting. Nothing worked.

Boomba Cable Bracket Bushings – Didn’t make a difference anywhere. Install Difficulty: 4/10

Boomba Transmission Adapter Plate – This is a pretty cool mod. Does its job, shortens the shift throw by a good amount. Much cheaper than short throw shifter. Install Difficulty: 4/10

Mutol 300 Gear Oil – This stuff is expensive. I don’t think it did anything for me either... Shifts felt exactly the same. Others will tell you it really smooths things out… either placebo effect kicked in or they live somewhere with a more extreme temperature range than me (SoCal). Install Difficulty: 3/10

One of my main complaints with the FiST is the surging and electric boost release. I made the following modifications to remedy this issue. Let me tell you, it was a journey.

Mishimoto J-Line Intercooler – I purchased the kit from ModBargains, CMBuildz bracket. This intercooler takes some DIY skill to install. It is waayyy bigger than the stock piece and quite a bit heavier. I had to dremel out some of my bumper to get it to fit nicely. Once on, you can run more aggressive tunes. I mentioned this IC is heavy. It’s about 4-5x heavier than stock, I am guessing 20lbs compared to 4lbs for the stock piece. I was a bit nervous about this at first but I found that adding 15 lbs to the VERY FRONT of the car changed the way it handled and accelerated for the better. As the FiST is front wheel drive, adding weight forward of the front tires has helped quite a bit with traction. I simply do not lose grip as much. The car feels more planted and a bit more refined too. My only concern with this IC is that it is not direct mount and I know the front bumper is stretched a few mm past what I would have liked. But to save ~$300 I was game. Had funds permitted and I did it all over again, I probably would have gone with a direct mount IC. But I am happy! Install Difficulty: 6/10

Tune + Turbosmart Wastegate Actuator - I was told in the master thread this product would stop my surging issues. With the aftermarket WGA and the heavier custom spring Adam put in it the car can hold higher boost at higher RPM’s than stock. Installing this thing was a bitch, plain and simple. You have to disconnect the heatshield and finagle around under it getting the stock one out and putting the new one in. Actually installing the WGA is easy, but that heatshield was almost the death of me. I had to leave for my sanity’s sake and come back the next day to finish. NOTE: The testing for this product was done on Adam’s 2015 Fiesta ST. Apparently the stock wastegate tables changed from 2014-15. Because of this, I would not suggest this mod for anyone with a 2014. Once installed and Tune + tune was loaded I took it out for a spin. The factory BPV was releasing at very low boost. It would hold boost up high all day but for normal accelerations the WGA would open at low boost and STAY OPEN until I either backed off or gave it more throttle. Since I had a Boomba BOV the car became embarrassingly loud to drive. The only way to get around it was to either lead foot everywhere OR short shift and try not to accelerate with boost. It was pretty miserable. To Adam at Tune+ credit, he worked with me to try different solutions and we finally got it figured out with a mechanical BOV from Turbosmart. Would I do it all over again? Probably not. The install was a huge bitch and the WGA made the one problem it was supposed to fix much worse. That being said I rue the day I have to take this thing off and battle that heat shield again, it’s staying put for now! **Please note that this is only an issue on 2014 FiSTs** Install Difficulty: 8/10

Turbosmart Shortie Kompact BOV – Because we couldn’t control the wastegate at low boost on my 2014, Adam suggested we try a mechanical BOV. Install was easy. Same as the Boomba piece, just a couple extra steps installing a vacuum line in between the MAP sensor and intake. Because this is a 2 stage BOV, the first half of the valve-cycle vents air back into the intake (same as the stock BPV does). As the valve opens more the rest of the air is released to atmosphere. It’s a different sound than the Boomba piece, but not terribly different coming off heavy throttle. After a year and a half with the LOUD Boomba piece it is a nice change. All I know is that this thing FINALLY cured the partial throttle boost release issue I have dealt with since getting the car. Boost comes on noticibly quicker than stock and holds until you are off the throttle. I love it, and I would suggest you get one. The total boost control helps you feel more connected to the car, and it makes a rad purring sound. Install Difficulty: 4/10

Tune+ Tune – I never had plans to get a custom tune. The car stock was a lot of fun. I figured because COBB stage 1 was not much difference from stock except for removing the annoying torque truncation, a custom tune would be just as unnoticeable. Boy was I wrong! I bought a tune in order to cure surging issues. If the tune did only that I would have been happy. Little did I know the potential this car has tune. It is a freakin rocket ship now. It took 5 or 6 logs to get things dialed in. The car pulls HARD from the moment boost comes on until redline. There is no more need to downshift in 6th to pass, just jump on the throttle and you’ll get pushed back into your seat as the world passes by. Adam’s tune is incredible. Adam was great to work with. He answered my questions and was good about getting me revised tunes every morning after I sent a log. I called him and we chatted about the BPV issues I was having. He knows his stuff and his EcoBoost engines. I can finally say that thanks to him and Tune+, the car has exceeded my expectations.

I was planning on cooling off on mods for a while buy a buddy of mine just bought a 3D printer and made me a pedal spacer (waiting on those coupling bolts, tried 8 stores, finally found some on eBay).

I am also ordering pierce bracing in the next week or two. I will of course report back! Thanks for reading.

If you have any questions let me know I'm happy to oblige. As you can imagine the car looks just how I want it, AKA more or less stock. I'll post a pic of me pulling my sailboat when I get a chance, it looks pretty hilarious.

-WWD (Peter)
Peter, Adam sounds like the man, have you managed to get a real dyno of the results?

OP
wrongwheeldrive
Thread Starter #7
Peter, Adam sounds like the man, have you managed to get a real dyno of the results?
He was very good to me. I didn't mention this before but when I was having issues with my stock BPV and I told him I would just buy a mechanical BOV to fix the issue, Adam sent me the Turbosmart BOV from his fiesta (that he traded in for the EcoBoost Mustang) free of charge.

@Antarctica, you're the guy with 150K on the ODO right? If you're looking to mod more, I would suggest a FMIC and then Adam's (Tune+) tune. That's about all you need to make the biggest difference on stock turbo. If you weren't in NC I would let you take it for a spin!

That being said I have not Dyno'd nor do I plan to. I'm not concerned with output numbers, I just want to have enough speed/handling/acceleration to dominate my commute.

antarctica24

He was very good to me. I didn't mention this before but when I was having issues with my stock BPV and I told him I would just buy a mechanical BOV to fix the issue, Adam sent me the Turbosmart BOV from his fiesta (that he traded in for the EcoBoost Mustang) free of charge.

@Antarctica, you're the guy with 150K on the ODO right? If you're looking to mod more, I would suggest a FMIC and then Adam's (Tune+) tune. That's about all you need to make the biggest difference on stock turbo. If you weren't in NC I would let you take it for a spin!

That being said I have not Dyno'd nor do I plan to. I'm not concerned with output numbers, I just want to have enough speed/handling/acceleration to dominate my commute.
161,545 as of today. I have a FMIC, 3" exhaust, CP-E intake and Velossa Big Mouth Intake.

here is a dyno of my latest runs.
Run 2 is my stock tune with all of the above installed
Run 5 is a Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune.

Dyno1.jpg

Subscribing to this thread because this is a similar build to what I want for my daily driver. Already have the accessport running 93 stage 1, RMM, drop in high flow filter, a set of sticky summer tires/lighter wheels, and dead pedal. I also have the boomba shift plate and bushings which I'm hoping to install this weekend. Been able to just use the trunk to haul my road bike, but I will need the hitch/hangers soon so I don't have to take my other car every time I want to mountain bike. Out of curiosity, what hitch bike rack do you use?

I'll eventually get all the following parts but debating on what to do next; FMIC for stage 2, Pierce bracing, OCC, BOV (want louder than stock, but not as loud as boomba?), exhaust for more noise (not priority), pro-tune. Suggestions are more than welcome.

161,545 as of today. I have a FMIC, 3" exhaust, CP-E intake and Velossa Big Mouth Intake.

here is a dyno of my latest runs.
Run 2 is my stock tune with all of the above installed
Run 5 is a Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune.

View attachment 9608
That is a crazy amount of miles driven in such a short amount of time. Color me impressed. Has your car been reliable? Still on your first clutch or did you have to replace? Also, did you happen to do a pull running Cobb Stage 2 OTS? I'm also not overly concerned about numbers and will never be dynoing my car. This is purely out of curiosity since you have all the right parts to run that map.

antarctica24

That is a crazy amount of miles driven in such a short amount of time. Color me impressed. Has your car been reliable? Still on your first clutch or did you have to replace? Also, did you happen to do a pull running Cobb Stage 2 OTS? I'm also not overly concerned about numbers and will never be dynoing my car. This is purely out of curiosity since you have all the right parts to run that map.
I am like you I am not sure how much I care about the numbers, more about the drivability. But if I am going to spend money, I want to know that the impact was. I am still on the factory clutch. Mileage is correct. I did not want them to install the stage 2 OTS yet. I wanted to drive around on the Stage 1 for a while. I like to do stuff in stages to make sure everything is working as designed. I am ramping up for a turbo swap, but feel certain at this point I will not be doing a full DHM with tubular headers. I am not looking for maximum top end power and I am not looking for maximum low end power. I want something in between. That leaves me with a Cyborg, Pumaspeed X37 or ATP 2554R. The Cyborg is really nice because it uses the stock manifold an he ported it which is also something I appreciated. The x37 is nice, but its 2000 without the core, and then the whole shipping of the core over seas and waiting for the refund. The ATP is 1800, available in 3 days. I could port the log myself or have someone in town do it, and take it Jet Hot down the road and have them ceramic coat it to keep the heat in, and I would be good to go, or I could just do what Jeff did and stop at Stage 2. I am going to meet him in May down in GA, and drive his car so we will see.

OP
wrongwheeldrive
Thread Starter #12
Subscribing to this thread because this is a similar build to what I want for my daily driver. Already have the accessport running 93 stage 1, RMM, drop in high flow filter, a set of sticky summer tires/lighter wheels, and dead pedal. I also have the boomba shift plate and bushings which I'm hoping to install this weekend. Been able to just use the trunk to haul my road bike, but I will need the hitch/hangers soon so I don't have to take my other car every time I want to mountain bike. Out of curiosity, what hitch bike rack do you use?

I'll eventually get all the following parts but debating on what to do next; FMIC for stage 2, Pierce bracing, OCC, BOV (want louder than stock, but not as loud as boomba?), exhaust for more noise (not priority), pro-tune. Suggestions are more than welcome.
1 UP USA. They a pricey but they make the best racks IMO. Super light, 10 seconds to put on/remove/ made in the good ol' USA. Let's see if this pic loads:

Here's the pedal spacer. I'm waiting on coupling nuts to install.

Just got finished reading your build. I've been doing lots of research and I'd like to have a setup similar to yours. Looks like its a great budget build that is also very reliable. Something to be said for simple mods that are tried and true. Too many people do too many mods in a short time and dont get a chance to truely appreciate their cars. Nice to see a member who drives the car and is still happy with it for what it is. I learned early on that someone will always have a newer,faster, or better looking car. Too easy to get caught up in it, spend a lot of money, and chase after time slips/ dyno #s. Thanks for sharing your build and feedback from all the various mods.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Just got finished reading your build. I've been doing lots of research and I'd like to have a setup similar to yours. Looks like its a great budget build that is also very reliable. Something to be said for simple mods that are tried and true. Too many people do too many mods in a short time and dont get a chance to truely appreciate their cars. Nice to see a member who drives the car and is still happy with it for what it is. I learned early on that someone will always have a newer,faster, or better looking car. Too easy to get caught up in it, spend a lot of money, and chase after time slips/ dyno #s. Thanks for sharing your build and feedback from all the various mods.
Ditto. I am happy to see more members lately, or so it seems, being happy with less and just enjoying the car without trying to get big numbers. Great build so far!

that's one crazy bicycle. what kind of ... discipline is that for? I'm a mountain biker who has a road bike for training, but I have no clue what that bike is other than it looks badass!

OP
wrongwheeldrive
Thread Starter #18
that's one crazy bicycle. what kind of ... discipline is that for? I'm a mountain biker who has a road bike for training, but I have no clue what that bike is other than it looks badass!
That is a track bike.
Yep, track bike. I generally ride at the LA Velodrome. For those wondering, the track has a maximum slope of 45 degrees, requiring the rider to maintain at least 17 MPH at all times. Track riding is my favorite Olympic discipline.

That's awesome man! I used to ride fixed gears bikes on the street like a dumbass. Moved on to gears in my old age:)

Great build and great read.
Might I suggest downshifting to 5th and accelerating opposed to leaving it in 6th gear and going WOT if you are in low RPMS- especially if modified and tuned.
High Gear + High Load puts a tremendous amount of stress on the engine and while not as much - the clutch. Especially in Boosted Cars.
I come from the DSM/Evo world and prior to that a Subbie (Lots of turbo'd cars...) and have seen and witnessed more than a few motors pop @ High Gear/High Load. i.e. 6th Gear WOT.
I'll end my rant ... again great read!