Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

You're using an inferior fuel, let me tell you exactly what you should use.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I can't even lie, I hate seeing conversations like that.

There is exactly one scenario where this generalized statement can hold to be true-the person that's telling you lives near you, travels the same general route to work passing the same fuel stations of convenience, and has done legitimate fuel-testing and can show you the data to support it. No one else can tell you what works best for you and your car-period. Not me, not your tuner (unless you've sent him logs with various fuels specifically for that information), and not any other random on the internet. The absolute only person that will ever know the best possible fuel for your car and conditions is going to be you, and it's going to take some work to figure that out. I see this general statement/conversation happen a lot, and in it's simplest form it is just not true. I've seen good logs from people that are not using a top-tier and poor ones from people that are.

There's nothing wrong with giving/listening to recommendations, just realize that you are the only one that can determine what is actually correct in your situation.

As more conversations about issues have arisen, I have had the tendency to make the assumption that people know their quality of fuel or have already tested it. I generally only make a quick blurb of 'if you have known good fuel' or 'if you've ruled-out fuel' in trying to rule-out possible causes, and that has been a disservice to everyone because it's one of the simplest solutions that can most easily be ruled out and has been the underlying cause of a few of the recent problems. It's briefly covered in the first note of the isolating problems thread, but not to enough of a degree to make it worthwhile. Hopefully this may help extrapolate on that.

The first and foremost indicator is always going to be your OAR. If you cannot achieve -1 in that monitor, you absolutely must find better fuel or run a less aggressive map. Achieving -1 doesn't always mean the fuel is great, just that it is good enough to run the current map. I had never seen OAR budge off of -1 so I went and tested it and it will indeed, as tested below.

I don't have logs to show (as of this typing, anyways) because I'm already aware of the quality of my fuel and have been using literally the exact same station for years. I actually do myself a disservice in that because stations and their fuel source do change over time, and I should probably be testing another station or two yearly just to ensure that things haven't improved elsewhere or gotten worse where I currently go. At the very least, those that have seen my data know that the fuel I'm running is optimal for my custom tune (though technically, vice-versa). I will test a couple stations nearby and post charts if I can, but I'm not currently putting the mileage on that would make them appear relatively quickly. Either way, here's the best that I can do in verbally describing differences between good fuel and poor fuel. I'm going to steal [MENTION=648]iso100[/MENTION]'s recent post as a visual aid in the meantime-

This is a good overall representation of a few different instances that good/poor fuel may show up, though we'll extrapolate it into a couple of scenario's. We're going to assume that you're either running an OTS tune rated for your mechanical setup or a completed custom tune. If you're only on a OTS map and are considering a custom tune, shoot for #1 prior to as you should ultimately receive better results on that fuel than either of the others-

1. (Not illustrated) You see similar positive corrections in all cylinders up to max that hold there until redline. Substantially better fuel than the map needs, power is left on the table, you might be throwing away money. This is the safest scenario, though you can consider trying a less-expensive station to drag your corrections down.

2. All of your cylinders are similar across a pull and through separate logs, but when graphed out they all look like cylinder 2 (as an example, though all cylinders individually have the same characteristic in the illustration). You're seeing increases in ignition correction up to a point, then they reduce, then they begin to climb again. Your fuel is good enough for the map, it just isn't so strong that it allows constant ignition increases. Basically, your fuel is better than what the map was designed for, but not substantially. So long as you're not seeing negatives, this is better in terms of power. The closer your lowest correction is to zero without a negative correction the closer you are to knock threshold, which is actually where you want to be for safety and longevity when coupled with cost.

3. You have one or more cylinders pulling negative corrections consistently, cylinders pair up, or you can't get repeatable results throughout separate logs (cylinders 2 and 3 individually or 2/3 compared to 1/4). You might have a bad tank of fuel or a suspect fuel source. This is where it's convenient to know if you previously had good fuel to begin with because if you have already tested it and nothing else has changed with your car then you almost definitively know it's fuel. If you're just now starting fuel testing then you should find a new station.

Problems have the tendency to compound or show similar traits, and this is why fuel testing is of importance. In any of the situations there are a multitude of legitimate problems that could be causing the issue-fuel just happens to be one of the easiest to rule-out when troubleshooting. This is part of how it is related to the other threads and why it's imperative to be able to view your entire procedure, from datalogging to troubleshooting, as a whole. Just because your graphs show traits that can be related to bad fuel doesn't necessarily mean it's bad fuel, but it's much simpler to ensure it's not the fuel first than it is to tear your whole car apart.

Ok, you've read a lot of words but we're almost done. You have an issue and want to rule out fuel, so now what? Assuming that you have logs to compare against, the simplest way is to go find some E85 and put in two or three gallons if it's available. What you're doing is boosting your octane to see what effect it has, and if your problems' cause is poor fuel then this should increase all of your corrections and make them repeatable. The other alternative is obviously to find a top-tier (or a different top-tier) fueling station and try their fuel for comparison. If your logs are consistent then it should be very clear as to what effect the fuel is having on your tune/engine.

Boosting your OAR to log- If your OAR is reading higher than -1 and you don't feel like it's moving fast enough for you, there is a technique to try and force the issue. First, you'll most likely want a relatively long hill to climb, preferably with minimal traffic because you're going to start at a low speed and may end up at something quicker, depending on the hill. You can do this on a flat surface if necessary, but it's more difficult without the added load applied by climbing.

1. Drive your car around until everything is up to temperature-OAR will not listen without it.

2. Starting at or near the base of the hill in fourth gear at around 2k rpm, build 5-10 psi of boost and hold it. You're not trying to make full boost, but the engine does need to be under a load for an extended period of time.

3. Continue to hold it. You may have to modulate the throttle, especially if you're on a flat road, but you want to stay in that boost range for as long as possible. I think the minimum is 7 seconds, but it's been a long time since I've had to do it. Just hold it as long as feasibly and safely possible.

4. Whenever you're unable to hold that boost range, let out and slow to your normal speed. It may take a few seconds, but you should see a change in the OAR. Repeat as necessary.

If you've done this procedure a few times and still have yet to have the OAR budge, you need better fuel.

XuperXero

Great write up. I have been using two gas stations with datalogs of both. I've always wondered how to properly tell which fuel is better.

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Great write up. I have been using two gas stations with datalogs of both. I've always wondered how to properly tell which fuel is better.
These logs aren't from the same car, but should give a general idea. If we assume the lowest correction in the chart in the original post to be zero and assume the other cylinders were all relatively similar, then that would be good fuel for the map.

1. This would be fuel that is 'too good' for the map-

2. This could be an example of poor fuel-

The reason that I say 'could be' is part of why I say that you have to take the entire situation into account. If my original logs had looked like 1 to start with and then I started getting negative corrections (obviously, sometime after having gotten fuel) and later took a log that looked like 2-with no other mechanical work having been done to the car-it would easily be a bad tank of fuel.

Otoh, if I had taken log 1 and then done a bunch of work to the car and changed maps (without having gotten fuel) before getting log 2, fuel is less-likely the cause. Still, it's the easiest to check and tends to be the first place that I'll start if it's suspect (and sometimes if it's not, just to rule it out).

Fwiw, the #2 graph is actually mine from my FoST and was caused by my RMM. Because I already knew that I had good fuel and was aware of RMM issues with the FoST I was able to go straight to it, but that community has shared more charts and faults so it was easier to run through the troubleshooting. That's the ultimate goal of the threads I've been creating-to help people become more comfortable with taking/viewing logs, more informed about what they're looking at, and hopefully ultimately leading to more legitimate data-sharing to help move the community forward.

Edit: Here's what car in #1 looks like with the same fuel but post pro-tune:

XuperXero

Thanks for elaborating further, it's even more clear to me now. My only gripe is that using torque pro app via bluetooth OBD is that I can't log all 4 cylinder timing. It logs one, but I have no idea which cynlinder it is.

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for elaborating further, it's even more clear to me now. My only gripe is that using torque pro app via bluetooth OBD is that I can't log all 4 cylinder timing. It logs one, but I have no idea which cynlinder it is.
I haven't used torque pro to be familiar with it, but my guess would be cylinder 1. I would look to see if there's any supporting data for the app to see if it specifies.

As you can see from the logs, being able to monitor all four cylinders is pretty important for the sake of accurate troubleshooting/testing. I understand that that may not be an option and monitoring one is better than none, just stay cognizant of the fact that you'll be making decisions based on partial data.

XuperXero

I haven't used torque pro to be familiar with it, but my guess would be cylinder 1. I would look to see if there's any supporting data for the app to see if it specifies.

As you can see from the logs, being able to monitor all four cylinders is pretty important for the sake of accurate troubleshooting/testing. I understand that that may not be an option and monitoring one is better than none, just stay cognizant of the fact that you'll be making decisions based on partial data.
Will do. The good news is that it's noticeable difference reading just from one timing for different gas station. Will be looking for stable timing throughout the range.

I'm curious, would timing also affect NV? Certain times I have noticed my RMM displays increased or decreased NVH during different temps and also different fuel.

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Will do. The good news is that it's noticeable difference reading just from one timing for different gas station. Will be looking for stable timing throughout the range.

I'm curious, would timing also affect NV? Certain times I have noticed my RMM displays increased or decreased NVH during different temps and also different fuel.
Timing can definitely have an effect on NVH, but more logically the issue is rpm. Depending on the RMM, a lot of people (not necessarily in this community) just have idle rpm raised by 50-100 to smooth things out. In order for timing to have a negative effect on NVH it would have to be pretty far out of whack, which isn't very likely on current ECU setups. Not impossible-just not likely.

XuperXero

Timing can definitely have an effect on NVH, but more logically the issue is rpm. Depending on the RMM, a lot of people (not necessarily in this community) just have idle rpm raised by 50-100 to smooth things out. In order for timing to have a negative effect on NVH it would have to be pretty far out of whack, which isn't very likely on current ECU setups. Not impossible-just not likely.
I'm convinced timing hasn't got much to do with NVH today. Reason I'm asking is because I have the Boomba RMM and the vibration changes everyday. Sometimes it's peaceful as stock, other it rattles like f. Changes as I drive too.

Did a datalog today. Here's mine. What's your verdict dyn?

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I'm convinced timing hasn't got much to do with NVH today. Reason I'm asking is because I have the Boomba RMM and the vibration changes everyday. Sometimes it's peaceful as stock, other it rattles like f. Changes as I drive too.

Did a datalog today. Here's mine. What's your verdict dyn?
That's the nature of RMM's-different durometer bushings/designs transmit NVH differently, and at different areas within the powerband. Generally speaking, it's at relatively low rpm's. My Cobb RMM only makes itself known at idle with the AC on, which would easily be removed by raising the rpm limit. Other mounts have had vibrations reported all the way up to the lower 2k's. The only way to tell if it's having an effect on your timing is to have a few similar logs with it installed and a few without to view side-by-side.

As for your log-a couple things. You don't want to start them that early, and more especially in the higher gears (4+). That will give you the ability to log higher rpm's due to the lower final speed and also keep you from putting excessive pressure on the engine internals. Try doing them in third gear, starting at around 2k rpm. I've taken them as low as 1500 in third, but I wouldn't go lower than that or 2k in fourth simply for engine longevity.

It looks like your car wants to add timing but can't in the lower rpm's, though that could be in part because of fuel, the RMM, or the OEM FMIC combined with a high load/low rpm-it's a little difficult to tell. The timing seems to be somewhat on par with good fuel though, if my assumptions are correct.

I'm not against the possibility of RMM 's causing false-knock, we just don't have enough third-party data accumulated to actually know or confirm it yet.

XuperXero

That's the nature of RMM's-different durometer bushings/designs transmit NVH differently, and at different areas within the powerband. Generally speaking, it's at relatively low rpm's. My Cobb RMM only makes itself known at idle with the AC on, which would easily be removed by raising the rpm limit. Other mounts have had vibrations reported all the way up to the lower 2k's. The only way to tell if it's having an effect on your timing is to have a few similar logs with it installed and a few without to view side-by-side.

As for your log-a couple things. You don't want to start them that early, and more especially in the higher gears (4+). That will give you the ability to log higher rpm's due to the lower final speed and also keep you from putting excessive pressure on the engine internals. Try doing them in third gear, starting at around 2k rpm. I've taken them as low as 1500 in third, but I wouldn't go lower than that or 2k in fourth simply for engine longevity.

It looks like your car wants to add timing but can't in the lower rpm's, though that could be in part because of fuel, the RMM, or the OEM FMIC combined with a high load/low rpm-it's a little difficult to tell. The timing seems to be somewhat on par with good fuel though, if my assumptions are correct.

I'm not against the possibility of RMM 's causing false-knock, we just don't have enough third-party data accumulated to actually know or confirm it yet.
Thanks for your analysis. I'll keep that in mind. The only reason I did 4th from a low rpm is that I could get a full range because most street driving is from lower rpm (I have 40km commute one way every day and most of it is in the lower rpm so I wanted to monitor lower rpm well enough. Tank is empty, gonna try another brand of fuel and get logs there.

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
All of this data has me interested so here is a short pull in 3rd from this morning, did I miss any data elements?

http://datazap.me/u/v/log-1431609656?log=0&data=5-8-10-11-12-13

Another log, 2nd into 3rd

http://datazap.me/u/v/log-1431610129?log=0&data=1-5-8&trim=8&tmin=3168.03&tmax=6695.00
Your logs are solid and your fuel is really good for the map. I wouldn't worry about logging all four ignition timing monitors, but what you log will change depending on what data you're trying to analyze. For general non part-specific logs I use the default monitors plus all four ignition corrections and that's it. If I want to do an intake comparison, for example, I might change that accordingly to add filter pressure, intake air temp, etc-it really just depends on the system/part you're analyzing.

Thanks for your analysis. I'll keep that in mind. The only reason I did 4th from a low rpm is that I could get a full range because most street driving is from lower rpm (I have 40km commute one way every day and most of it is in the lower rpm so I wanted to monitor lower rpm well enough. Tank is empty, gonna try another brand of fuel and get logs there.
I understand, I just throw out the warning so that people are aware. Many people that have no previous FI experience think that a turbocharged engine should be able to boost at any rpm in any gear, and even though it can it's really hard on the engine internals. It's not as bad in lower gears because of the mechanical advantage afforded in transmitting that power to the ground, but once you remove that it's a lot of pressure and heat that puts excessive strain on all of the components.

Your logs are solid and your fuel is really good for the map. I wouldn't worry about logging all four ignition timing monitors, but what you log will change depending on what data you're trying to analyze. For general non part-specific logs I use the default monitors plus all four ignition corrections and that's it. If I want to do an intake comparison, for example, I might change that accordingly to add filter pressure, intake air temp, etc-it really just depends on the system/part you're analyzing.
Thanks, its 93 Octane (10% ethanol around Chicago) Cobb Stage 2 OTS map and cold weather.

XuperXero

So this morning's commute, it was raining with high humidity and cool temp of 26 Celsius. First thing I noticed, my RMM was so smooth and felt like stock so I decided to do a datalog right away. Results? Boost peaked only at 17psi and timing is reduced all across the range. Ah, so if my RMM is stiff and rattles the car, I'm making more power. That's good to know.

I also noticed that timing is pulled like fk in lower rpm because AFR is... well, retardedly lean. up to 15's. Probably for fuel mileage purposes. Looks like I'm saving up for a reflash soon.

Just throwing out information in case anybody wonders.

Also, can anybody send me their csv datalog file? I want to see the format and how columns/rows are arranged for datazap to work. Everytime I upload mine csv it's a mess.

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
I tried to, but then realized that I cannot attach a file to pm. Basically, the rows are an increase in time while the columns are the individual monitors. If you scroll down past the chart and pid list, my .csv files look the same as they show up in Datazap-http://datazap.me/u/dyn085/cobb-stage-3?log=0&data=4-9.

Edited in procedure to force OAR.
With regards to OAR. I returned my car to stock and started at stage 0 and was unable to achieve an OAR of -1 with multiple fuels. What I have learned is it may not be possible to achieve a -1 in stage 0. This was done doing a complete uninstall. As soon as I switched to stage one my oar quickly climbed to a -1. I was also having a ETC closure in stage 0 which is now gone in stage 1. So I ask Randy about stage 0 and he said thats just how oem behaves. So in the future all my logs will be done in stage 1 as my baseline and not stage 0.

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
With regards to OAR. I returned my car to stock and started at stage 0 and was unable to achieve an OAR of -1 with multiple fuels. What I have learned is it may not be possible to achieve a -1 in stage 0. This was done doing a complete uninstall. As soon as I switched to stage one my oar quickly climbed to a -1. I was also having a ETC closure in stage 0 which is now gone in stage 1. So I ask Randy about stage 0 and he said thats just how oem behaves. So in the future all my logs will be done in stage 1 as my baseline and not stage 0.
That's interesting. I just flashed my stage 0 map and still read -1 OAR. I'm currently in the process of uninstall/install and will see what happens afterwards.

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Ok, I uninstalled and reinstalled the AP3, flashing the stage 0 map first-still at -1 OAR.

Simply to satisfy my curiosity and test something, I'm going to put 2 gallons of 87 in. This will tell me if OAR changes adversely after hitting -1, when given the proper conditions.

On the drive back to the house there was no change, but there's a possibility that my temps weren't fully up to snuff so I'm not going to assume anything just yet. If nothing happens after I put some more miles on then I'll swap AP3's and try some more.

P.S.-I hate 87.