Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

You've been

OP
N
Thread Starter #21
it's awesome, I watched a few videos but didn't expect it to be as steep as it was. I couldn't get traction in 1st 2nd or 3rd gears, that cost me.

meFiSTo

it's awesome, I watched a few videos but didn't expect it to be as steep as it was. I couldn't get traction in 1st 2nd or 3rd gears, that cost me.
Yeah, the steeper things get, the tougher it is on FWD. I remember way back in (I do not want to say), I was moving my meager belongings up to Seattle for my first try at resettling to the PNW via graduate school in a first generation, stripped down Toyota Tercal (it did not stick that time, but did later). The car was heavily weighted to the rear. My then girlfriend (and now wife) was driving and I was navigating to my sisters house in the Mt. Baker neighborhood of Seattle. We exited I5 onto S. Columbia Way and made a (probably then illegal) left turn up the S. Spokane St. hill. The grade is a little steep there and we hit a red light at 15th Ave. S. That was unfortunate. It was just steep enough to lift the little wheels off the ground slightly and we could not get ANY traction. LOL. There was some freaking out going on in the driver's seat, cars piling up behind us, and a little silver Toyota with its front end a little bit wagging from side to side. I jumped out and with the help of a pedestrian pushed the car up the hill (with my GF/eventually-to-be-wife urging the car on with gentle throttle). We did crest that hill after some grunting and I jumped back in. Nine years later we were married. Hah.

OP
N
Thread Starter #24
So... Is "you've been" Australian slang for something?
No Aussie slang, it's actually tongue in cheek towards my number plates. My plates are FIS74D (FIesta ST 4D meaning Ford), but people miss read it as Fisted. Hence the You've Been sticker on the back, it works because people underestimate these cars.

OP
N
Thread Starter #25
Yeah, the steeper things get, the tougher it is on FWD. I remember way back in (I do not want to say), I was moving my meager belongings up to Seattle for my first try at resettling to the PNW via graduate school in a first generation, stripped down Toyota Tercal (it did not stick that time, but did later). The car was heavily weighted to the rear. My then girlfriend (and now wife) was driving and I was navigating to my sisters house in the Mt. Baker neighborhood of Seattle. We exited I5 onto S. Columbia Way and made a (probably then illegal) left turn up the S. Spokane St. hill. The grade a little steep there and we hit a red light at 15th Ave. S. That was unfortunate. It was just steep enough to lift the little wheels off the ground slightly and we could not get ANY traction. LOL. There was some freaking out going on in the driver's seat, cars piling up behind us, and a little silver Toyota with its front end a little bit wagging from side to side. I jumped out and with the help of a pedestrian pushed the car up the hill (with my GF/eventually-to-be-wife urging the car on with gentle throttle. We did crest that hill after some grunting and I jumped back in. Nine years later we were married. Hah.
I lighten the rear end a little and played around with front tyre pressures, no success. Im not defeated, I'll work on take off so next time I improve. The track certainly suits AWD, on the plus side I clocked faster than a Ford Falcon Straight 6 turbo and a HSV (GM performance arm in Oz) 5.7L.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
No Aussie slang, it's actually tongue in cheek towards my number plates. My plates are FIS74D (FIesta ST 4D meaning Ford), but people miss read it as Fisted. Hence the You've Been sticker on the back, it works because people underestimate these cars.
Ahhh... I see. I was thinking of getting plates that say "F00LEDU."

OP
N
Thread Starter #27
Ahhh... I see. I was thinking of getting plates that say "F00LEDU."
Nice. It started as a joke, but the more I drive the car the more relevant it becomes lol. Just ask the driver of a Lexus IS350 Fsport, couldn't shake the FiST a car 1/3 the price of his and 2 cylinders and 2ltrs less. He got Fisted lol

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
A Genesis Coupe v6, base Camaro, and Corolla S all definitely got fooled lol.