Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lightweight 17's?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have only installed 205/45/17 that are a fairly wide 205 and a bit taller than stock tires on 17x7, +40mm on my lowered as far as I can go and have good geometry so not that low and no issues but I had already trimmed the bottom bolt location in the front wheel wells that holds the fender and bumper together. Three bolts there so no worries to take out the bottom ones and trim off the tabs. I had to do this for my very wide race setup, not sure if needed on other setups.

There are many running different size tires and offsets, rim widths so you will have to dig in and find the info or ask around, searching first is the proper way to do so of course:)

OP
Original J-Pat

Original J-Pat

Thread Starter #42
Yea I have been searching around quite alot spend most of my spare time on here trying to make sure I make the right decision as this is my only second car and it's the first car I have done any modifications too or going to do I have done nothing yet.

So If I understand this right if I get a offset closer to stock that would be more beneficial to the performance? And I do like the flush look but I know that doesn't always optimize performance

LT Berzerker

Yea I have been searching around quite alot spend most of my spare time on here trying to make sure I make the right decision as this is my only second car and it's the first car I have done any modifications too or going to do I have done nothing yet.

So If I understand this right if I get a offset closer to stock that would be more beneficial to the performance? And I do like the flush look but I know that doesn't always optimize performance
Yes and no, with a fwd you will gain more torque steer on hard acceleration, however, you effectively increase the foot print width which helps cornering/handling characteristics... Depends on what you want to do with your car...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
BZ is right, a bit more torque steer can be the result of changing the offset but the wider stance can pay more dividends than the negatives, just not to wide as in a shallow offset wheel like a 20mm or less.

A +35, +38, +40, etc.... all should be OK but the +35, may push then out to wide by a bit.

As mentioned many setups have been done here so look for those but always pick the higher offset number if you can, usually, only real fitment can give all the answers.

I went with a 17x7 +40 for my street setup because it was more important to me to have the ultimate track wheels than street wheels. I was able buy some Konig Feathers, 16.8 lbs, a known good wheel, $105 each as I did the 4x100 conversion for the track wheels, for the added sidewall support and looks I would rather have 7.5 or 8" wide wheels but in real use the 7" will be quite fine, I do my hard core stuff on the track and hardly ever get near the limit on the street(back roads is more like it for me) yet the car will still be plenty fast for that.

I would in fact take a 7" wide low weight wheel over a heavy 8" wide wheel as heavy wheels effect every aspect of performance more than a narrower wheel that weighs less will do.

OP
Original J-Pat

Original J-Pat

Thread Starter #45
BZ is right, a bit more torque steer can be the result of changing the offset but the wider stance can pay more dividends than the negatives, just not to wide as in a shallow offset wheel like a 20mm or less.

A +35, +38, +40, etc.... all should be OK but the +35, may push then out to wide by a bit.

As mentioned many setups have been done here so look for those but always pick the higher offset number if you can, usually, only real fitment can give all the answers.

I went with a 17x7 +40 for my street setup because it was more important to me to have the ultimate track wheels than street wheels. I was able buy some Konig Feathers, 16.8 lbs, a known good wheel, $105 each as I did the 4x100 conversion for the track wheels, for the added sidewall support and looks I would rather have 7.5 or 8" wide wheels but in real use the 7" will be quite fine, I do my hard core stuff on the track and hardly ever get near the limit on the street(back roads is more like it for me) yet the car will still be plenty fast for that.

I would in fact take a 7" wide low weight wheel over a heavy 8" wide wheel as heavy wheels effect every aspect of performance more than a narrower wheel that weighs less will do.
Well with my wheels they will probably be just for street and occasional canyon driving and probably track wheel to maybe I'll go with 17x7 TD Pro Race 1.2's or maybe the OZ ultraleggeras.

Does OZ have any lighter wheels then the ultraleggeras? And If I go for the ultraleggeras do they come in 17x8? I tried to figure it out on tirerack and I couldnt

razorlab

1000 Post Club
TR motorsports is Tire Racks brand.

I believe some of them are actually made by Enkei

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
TR has been around longer than some members here and always a good brand, those are great wheels for the money and better looking than some I have seen put on these cars:)

BUT, they are a closeout, buy 4, trash one, out of luck....better buy a spare or two or 8 to 10 wheels so you can your track and summer or whatever combo you want and spares.

The FF10s look way better in person than on the Tirerack website... I just installed mine today with some 215-40-17 Falken RT615K, why pay for overpriced track wheels when you can get these. I'm glad I got these before they are no longer available.

I imagine many people were on the fence about these since they do look ugly on tirerack's website. I looked all over the web for a pic of a car with these and had no luck, wait no more, here are some pics:

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Yea those look super nice, would have picked them up instead of the Sparcos for my track set if they where available at the time.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Can you take a photo showing how much clearance you have from spokes to brake caliper for me? Thanks!

Can you take a photo showing how much clearance you have from spokes to brake caliper for me? Thanks!
It's already pretty dark out here for a picture but I happened to have a digital precision caliper in my trunk, it looks like there is only about 5.3mm clearance from the back of the spoke to the oem caliper bracket.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
It's already pretty dark out here for a picture but I happened to have a digital precision caliper in my trunk, it looks like there is only about 5.3mm clearance from the back of the spoke to the oem caliper bracket.
Oh wow. Thanks. Looks like it might not clear my wilwoods then...

airjor13

2000 Post Club
The FF10s look way better in person than on the Tirerack website... I just installed mine today with some 215-40-17 Falken RT615K, why pay for overpriced track wheels when you can get these. I'm glad I got these before they are no longer available.

I imagine many people were on the fence about these since they do look ugly on tirerack's website. I looked all over the web for a pic of a car with these and had no luck, wait no more, here are some pics:

Wow those look really nice!!!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I can get them in 17x7, 4x100, +38, 14.45 lbs and not shown as discontinued......hmmmm, wish they were 7.5 or 8" wide.....

Also found them in 7.5" wide, +45mm but not sure I could make them fit my rear BBK.

I saw those never heard of the brand and yea they're ugly as hell so I wouldn't get em unless they were free lol
We'll see just how ugly they are. I just ordered a set with 215/40/17s. The pic they are using is of the 15" RWD wheel. The 17" FWD wheel will look very different.