Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2015 Stealth install by SIS

One of the key elements of a great ride is having great tunes to go alone with it.
Once I finally got my 2015 Fiesta ST, I make an appointment with bing @ SimplicityInSound (in Milpitas, California)
He's very well know for his custom installs, and is a really great guy to work with. I dropped the car off for a week, and this is what happened....

NOTE: This was the build log posted to DIYMA.
Bing (SIS) had done another Fiesta ST a few months in the past (which I got to sit in and hear) and that's the Fiesta he mentions.
Also, having seen that install, and how the full size spare caused some issues with the Sub Enclosure, I took the advice I found here, and used the compact spare from a standard fiesta.

Onward!!

goals:

1. achieve a nice level of sound quality while maintaining a low key appearance on the interior

2. take up zero usable cargo space in the trunk

3. retain spare tire and still allow easy access to it with the system components.

first up a coupla pics of the car :)

the signal source on this one is slightly different than the previous fiesta build. while the stock signal source is indeed retained, but instead of an amas2, we added a digital output box for his iphone as his second, more pure, source. due to that, we had to also integrate a mosconi dsp controller to act as master volume control when he is using his phone as his primary signal source. so jesse fabricated a similar controller mount as i did in the other fiesta. it takes up the little pocket direct behind the shifter and is finished in factory matching vinyl. here is the finished product, within convinient reach from the front seats:

a few quick pics of what the controller mount looks like. it is a combination of MDF and acrylic that secures the controller to the mount, and then the mount press fits into the space:

moving onto the front stage. the customer provided me with a set of Stereo Integrity TM65 dual voice coil midbasses. these were installed in the factor lower door location.

first, a matter of taking care of the wiring. since the fiesta has no empty slots in the door molex, we soldered onto the factory speaker wires right before and right after the door, keeping the factory run as short as possible:

nex, the outer door skins were sound proofed with blackhole tiles, while the inner door received some focal BAM composite damper.

then i fabricated a set of speaker adapter plates for the SI midbasses, and coated them with several layers of truck bedliner to protect them against the elements:

this adapter was then bolted to the door using oem hardware:

and these cool DVC midbasses were wired up and installed, the gaps around the mounting baffle sealed with butyl

the outer door card also got some CLD damper to help with resonance and vibrations:

the same procedure was then repeated on the passenger side:

for the tweeter the customer supplied me with a set of the new KAXBLTWT tweeters. these are relatively large tweeters and after some playing around, we came up with a mounting pod that takes place of the tiny pillar windows. the pods were finished in matching vinyl:

lets go to some build pictures by Jesse. This may look simple but actually involved a bit of work. because of the shape and angles in the A pillar, we couldnt actually just bold a singular pod...as if it was attached to the pillar, there is no way the pillar can flex and fit back into the car, like wise, there is no room for hte entire pod to slide into the window opening if the pillars were snaped on first. so what jesse came up with is a two piece design that allowed a smaller mounting pod to be mounted to the pillars after it has been snapped into the car.

first, these are the two pieces, a back plate with spacers and a front plate with its own inter spacer legs and the tweeter ring aimed and mounted:

the front tweeter pod then had mold cloth pulled, resin applied, and then reinforced from the inside via a duraglas/resin mixture:

then several repeat processes of filler and sanded, resulted in a smooth shape ready for upholstery:

OP
G
Thread Starter #2
the back plates were then covered in a black material we like to call "simpliciflock" :) and the front pods got wrapped in black vinyl:

so here are the finished products test fitted to the car. right now, the front pods are just press fit in the space to show what it will look like:

and here are these large tweeters with the long alphabet name :)

so basically, what happened next was that the pillars, with only the back plates attached, were reinstalled back into the car, then the front portion is pressed in, and two screws lock the two pairs of mounting legs together, locking the front pod in place. the tweeters were then wired up and installed:

so thats it for the front stage, moving onto the wiring pics. so this is the digital converter output box that is installed under the center arm rest area, the wire is routed upfront, to the center console and then back towards the passenger side:

this bundle, which includes the power and ground for the converter box and the toslink cable, joins the passenger side speaker wires and is ziptied to the factory bundle every few inches. anywhere there is a stock conduit, it was opened, the new bundle laid down, and then closed back down over it:

the driver side received the same speaker wires and the main 4 gauge power cable:

the driver side bundle crosses over under the back seat and they all go to the hatch area via the passenger side. with the power and signal wires separated:

OP
G
Thread Starter #3
so thats it for wiring, lets take a look at the hatch, and here, its going to be virtually identical to the other fiesta as it utlizes the same gear.

so normally, with the stock floor in place, it is 100 percent oem:

but lift up the floor and you see a single sealed enclosure of about .5 cubic foot housing a stereo integrity BM MkIV 12" sub, along side in the empty place, is an arc audio xdiv2 1100.5 powering hte front stage with 4x150 watts rms, while sending 500 watts to the BM, and a mosconi 4to6SPDIF that provides signal processing and received the signal both from the stock HU, and the digital converter box. everything is finished in an industrial manner using spray on bedliner:

now, if you want to remove the spare, you simply have to undo these four bolts:

and you can then lift up the enclosure via the two handles on either side, and slide it out of the way:

a final shot of the hatch:

onto the build pics of the back:

one of the key difference between this car and the other fiesta is that this one had the space saver spare in it. as a result, i was able to dip down into the space a bit more and build a slightly shallower enclosure: so here is the bottom half of the enclosure:

and then the top mated to it, along with the handles on either side for easy removal:

it was then coated with truck bedliner, and the SI subwoofer wired up and installed. while the bottom of the enclosure received foam treatment during contact spots to reduce any kind of buzzing:

and here is the amp/dsp board before and after truck bedliner and foam treatment:

and then i prewired the amp and dsp on the board:

a total of six rivet nuts were installed onto the floor to provide firm anchor points for the bolts:

and tahts it, things were bolted in place and wired up...and you end up with what you see above. :)

simple, stealthy and functional. :)

OP
G
Thread Starter #4
So, after all that, how does it sound?

The installer said:
The imaging and staging is very good, with good height, width and depth.
The TM65s provides a ton of impact and is very very linear even at high volumes. i was quite impressed with these guys.
The KAXBLTWTs also did decently well, though there were some irregularities in the response, some spikes and brightness that i wasnt able to dial down completely.
The SI BM provided great output and extension at all volumes, and is such a great fit for this car given its limited space.

What did I think? Sound Amazing, right???
Well, at first, not so great.
While the install was amazing, and bing is a impressive tuner, he could not get the components to work well together.
The tweeters were too bright, and it wasn't easy to get the mids and the tweets to integrate smoothly.
It was a bit of a mystery to both of us.....

After listening to the car myself, I wasn't ready to leave it as it is, so I started fooling around with the Mosconi DSP software.
Bing had recommended a local Master Tuner, Mike Hatt. While Mike is an amazing tuner, he's also blind.
So, in order to be able to adjust the DSP and tune, I'd need to be able to driver the software while he gave instructions!
The DSP software allows you to adjust basically everything, from individual speaker timing, to gains, crossover points, EQ, etc.
Once I knew how to get around the software, I contacted Mike Hatt, a Master Tuner (recommended by Bing) to see if he could help me out.
As with any car, you need to adjust the system to the acoustics of the car itself (if you can)

Mike is a great guy, and was really willing and helpful in getting the base system sounding quite nice after the first tuning session.
We experimented with time alignment, crossover points, gains, and some initial EQ work.
Unfortunately, we ran out of time for the day - so we packed up, and I left to do some more listening.....

A week later, after listening to it further, we got back together, and got it dialed in.
What a great experience sitting in the car, adjusting settings, and listening to it get better and better......

Now???

Wow. The front stage is really detailed, and is easily above the dash, and WIDE. Surprisingly airy and detailed. The mids have a lot of authority, and are nicely balanced against the tweets. Looking at the XO and cuts, you probably would think it would sound wierd. But amazingly, it sound really nice. That hole in the vocals is gone, and the tweeters are brilliant compared to the initial install.

Should you live in the area, and have the time, I highly encourage you to contact Mike Hatt. Great guy, friendly, and has honestly changed my system into something I really enjoy, vs something I was contemplating changing the components to fix. This is the first time that I have dealt with either Bing or Mike, and as a customer, I'd highly recommend them both.

-- Max

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Very impressive build.

OP
G
Thread Starter #12
Thanks all for the comments!!

In such a small car, a 2 way system like this sounds great.
I kept the rear speakers on the factory system, so I can dial in some rear fill if I want.
With the front stage so clear, I find I'm less apt to turn the rear speakers up very much.

If you are in the area, and want to hear it sometime, PM me.

JBO

Waiting for some pics from my installer so I can show my install. Good thing you kept the rear speakers. I disconnected mine and couldn't hear the reversing sensors! Now they're reconnected to the head unit and sensor noises work, as does muting of the music when reversing.

Anyway my setup is

Clarion 1700S HX Series splits in the doors with dynamat everywhere.
Audison Prima 8.9 bit DSP amp - 8 channels running bridged 4x130 at 4 ohms (actual output is 4x150).
Focal iBus20 compact powered sub under the passenger seat.

Very pleased with the sound - tight, balanced and articulate. Not quite in the league of the system shown above perhaps!!!

It was installed without using Audison's Bit Tune system which only authorised dealers have. I may explore that down the track to get the best out of the time alignment but for now, not feeling the need to tweak any further!

Thanks for posting your system. Impressive!

looks great. i will be going to SiS myself. been waiting months to scheduelle appointment but bought a new car instead. nice to see some people on this forum with good taste :D

going 3 way active myself. had a 2 way system now want something more!

Since I'm fairly close to Milpitas and have been thinking of adding a better system to my car, I have a few simple questions:

1. How much weight do you think everything added to your car? I ask because I've been doing track days and I wouldn't want to be bogged down too much by weight. (Although with the simple screws you can remove the sub with, that shouldn't be a problem)

2. How much did this set you back?

Thanks.

Its really hard to say how much weight it will add. Really depends on what amps you get and hoe many. It can be 50 -200lb if you remove sub. His install with equipment im guessing is 6-8k?

OP
G
Thread Starter #17
Since I'm fairly close to Milpitas and have been thinking of adding a better system to my car, I have a few simple questions:

1. How much weight do you think everything added to your car? I ask because I've been doing track days and I wouldn't want to be bogged down too much by weight. (Although with the simple screws you can remove the sub with, that shouldn't be a problem)

2. How much did this set you back?

Thanks.
When I had the system installed, I removed the stock spare, and replaced it with a regular fiesta aluminum spare. Saved about 16 lb's.
I would say the entire system added less than 35lb to the car (its a small enclosure, and only a single amp), so I probably added no more than 20 lb to the car all said and done.

Total cost was under 5k, all in.

If you have the time, stop by the Simplicity in Sound shop. Bing is a great guy, and always has some really impressive installs going on.
Mine was super simple in comparison. Highly recommend them.

- Max